Friday, September 10, 2010

Of Rocks and Families

Ever have one of those weeks
Where so much happened in just a matter of days,
You wondered how that amount of living
Could’ve fit into a small space of time?

Well, that’s how I feel…
And here’s how it went:

A little over two weeks ago,
Mr. Wonderful answered to jury duty.
He came home that first day
Hoping he wouldn’t have to return the next.
But he did.
And his company in Aurora, Colorado
Was not happy about his missing work.
But he had no choice, as you know
If you’ve ever been chosen for jury duty.

Then, on Day Two,
Mr W came home a somber man.
He said,
“I’ll never discuss this case with you,
Even after it’s over.”
When I guessed at which high profile case
Was currently in the papers,
His reply was,
“You can’t ask me that.”
Then I knew I was right.
But I didn’t ask him about it.
Instead, I pulled him in close and said,
“Be a blessing to that family.”

It was a criminal case involving the
Horrible murder of a special-needs young man
whom this young man trusted as friends.
Because special-needs beings are so
Trusting and naïve,
They give trust where none is deserved.

The impact of Mr W’s call to the jury would impact our family
In more than financial ways.
So much more.
Since I knew I would need to work some through this,
I met up with a gal I know a little bit from church
Who owns a house cleaning service
And was offered a job on the spot
In Albertsons, no less.

Then I got really sick,
And couldn’t start until this past Wednesday.
But she was patient,
And happy to have me on board.
So I began on Wednesday
To clean other people’s houses.

The shoe was on the other foot
For me.
See, I’ve had housecleaners over the years,
But I’ve never cleaned professionally before.
This was a new experience!

I was as excited about trying something new,
As I was about earning a little extra cash
While Mr W was on the jury.

In the past three days,
I’ve cleaned mansions on hillsides,
And a historic mansion in downtown Colorado Springs.
I’ve mopped floors for executives,
And Air Force Colonels,
Historians,
Ministers,
And working mothers.

Some homes are right outta
House Beautiful,
With fantastic views and gilded-gold-everythings
And some are just namby-pamby-mish-mashed
ordinary homes.

But, I felt privileged to be invited inside.
To wash and wax,
To fold and tuck,
To serve,
Even if it was for my own gain,
It still blessed my life.

The one thing all of those houses
Have in common is this:
Family.
Old photos, framed with care,
Of grand parents
And new photos of
families, weddings, grandbabies
Of days gone by,
all carefully displayed.

Letters and notes stuck on fridges
And nightstands,
Of “I love you-s”…
From little ones’ crayons
To big ones’ cursive.

So easy to see where hearts are knit together.
So affirming to me of the strength that is
Found in Family.

Whereas  Mr. Wonderful spent 14 days
Listening to testimonies of degradation
And violence that two men learned
In their families,
And how that life experience led them to the
Choices they’ve made,
Ruining their own lives,
Impacting an innocent family—

I was out in the world
Experiencing another kind of
Familial Love.

Mr W said that the victim’s father sat in the courtroom
every minute of every day for the entirety.
Even when the victim’s brother had to leave the courtroom
in frustration and fury,
and the victim’s mother had to leave with her grief-drenched heart
so as to avoid hearing the details of her son’s gruesome last moments.
The father stayed.
He sat there
and he listened
and he looked
at the evidence,
every bit of it.
Can you even imagine?

Mr. W met the father one morning in the hallway—
Just the two of them there,
The father smiled at Mr W. and said
“Good Morning.”
Mr. W. said he felt the Spirit wash over him,
“You’re here to bring comfort to him.”
Leaving no doubt in his heart that he was
where he was supposed to be.
No matter the financial burden that our family
might endure.
This was meant to be.

This past week was a long one.
Mr W did not discuss the case with me
until today, guarding my heart
because I am the mother of a special-needs son.

Today, the defendant was sentenced to
Two consecutive Life sentences
Plus 32 years.
No parole. Ever.
Guilty on 7 counts.

The defendant’s family wept openly.
The defendant stood alone in his sin.

The victim’s family wept openly too.
For their boy.
For justice fought for and won.

And Mr W wept to himself.
The weight of the moment was not lost on him
or the rest of the jury.

And now, we’re left to see if we can spit-shine
The dust off the experiences we’ve had this week…

Mr. W says he learned that the fight between Good vs. Evil is real—
And it’s not just “out there”
Its in our backyard.
And the Prophets are right and true—
There’s a battle going on for the souls of men,
And those battles start in the Family.



And I learned that it’s good to get out of my little
Cocooned world.
To try a new skill,
And not be ashamed to scrub toilets,
Or wax floors of total strangers--
that work is work and is good for us all.

Joseph asked me on Wednesday night if
I am a “maid”.
“I guess so.” I said.
Right about that time,
The phone rang, and it was my longtime friend and home staging partner,
Kelly.
She asked how my first day went.
“I am beat! It’s like speed-cleaning!” I replied.

Then she asked if I wanted another job.
So my maid-days were short-lived.

I’ll be working with Karen Jones at her brand new
All About Home Interior Design Center.
My dream job.
Total Apple Pie for me.
I start Monday.

So our rocks have been tumbled about,
Smoothing out the rough spots of ignorance,
Knocking off the high bumps of pride,
Polishing our Spirits in knowledge.

We see things differently today
than we did just 14 days ago.
I hope we're never the same.

15 comments:

  1. I can't believe all this. Your perspective is amazing.
    And I'd love a link to read articles on this case. Just to see what it was all about.
    Too close to your heart, I can imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad. It is amazing to me what kind of evil exists in our world. I am so grateful that they did not get away with it. Congratulations on your dream job! Some people never even realize what that is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I don't have many words tonight, I hope that one will do. We bless others, we are blessed too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this story, I was so touched by it and love your style of sharing! It's hard to put into words what I am feeling right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. What a hard thing, but a blessed thing, your family has had to go through!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow...an amazing two weeks indeed! Mr W is a very strong man and I like that he "guarded your heart". He's amazing. You are amazing in your own right taking a job most people would dislike and finding joy and comfort and blessings. I cried so much reading about this young man. There's a special place in He** for people who harm God's special spirits. My heart goes out to his family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wise would you are, Dawn. You learn more from your life than anyone else I know. And I love when you share that with us.

    (I also love that you got that very cool job!)

    =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am weeping and nearly without words - staring at the envelope - there - on my desk - where I wrote - in bright red ink on the outside

    JURY DUTY 9/13! 8am

    So I wouldn't forget.

    Now, I know I won't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being a special ed teacher, this post was really close to my heart. Wow. WHat an experience for your husband, and eventually for you too. I love the way you write. Beautiful reflections. Thanks, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Kazzy: The experience has been so real to us. We are aware now more than ever, how important it is to guard ourselves and our children.
    @Sharon: Be a blessing to those who seek justice.
    @Sue: I'm figuring things out as I go...and I have a habit of looking at the lessons in everything. We have so much to learn in this life!
    @Moody: And this is why you're my friend.
    @Cocoa: We have learned much thru this experience.
    @Shawnie: I wrote this without editing because, as you can probably tell, I'm still sorting it out too.
    @sarah: that's the purpose of life...to find grace and learn how to give it to others.
    @PattyAnn: Thanks so much. I shoulda put this is my "dream job" right now at this point in my life. I have other dreams too. All in good time.
    @jen: I put the links in at your suggestion. And thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW, that was so thought provoking, and tearful. (I just knew I shouldn't read this at work). Thank you for sharing such awful/reaffirming/uplifting news. sad. and I hate how money effects so much of our lives. and I am thankful that you shared that because it lets me know that you CAN keep a cheerful and thoughtful outlook even when the chips are down. thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ew, I always think I'd love to sit on a jury (after I'm done having littles) but that sounds truly awful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Very powerful. I'm glad Mr. W could bring some comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this line "There’s a battle going on for the souls of men,
    And those battles start in the Family." It's so true. I think I need to go kiss my yahoos.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!