Monday, September 13, 2010

Something I Learned from Cleaning McMansions

My mother and father used to
pack us kids in their old '59 Ford,
I think it was a Rambler,
and say,
"Let's go for a drive."
And we'd be thrilled 
and I mean it,
THRILLED
to go anywhere in the car!

Growing up in Miami,
we always seemed to end up somewhere along
Key Biscayne
looky-looing at beach front mansions...
my mom would be ahhh-ing and ohhh-ing
at their grandeur and say things like,
"Don'tcha wish we lived there?"

Until recently,
I did the same ridiculous thing--
drive by humongous houses and say, 
"Wow, I wonder what they did in the pre-existance
to deserve that kind of blessing?"
Half-wishing I knew the answer to an absurd 
question.

After my wonderful, exciting experience last week
of cleaning a 10,000 square foot McMansion,
I discovered some thing about my Self:
I don't want to be the Mother of a mansion.

I don't want to be in charge of nine bathrooms.
Two full humongous kitchens with marble countertops,
and leaded windows,
Two Deep Freeze fridges and Two side-by-side ranges
and an extra-large grill on the island.

I don't want to be responsible for shoes that are lost
in 7 bedrooms--each room larger than the first
with closets bigger than my current familyroom;
and the floors,
oh heaven help me, the floors--
carpet, tile, wood--
it doesn't even matter,
the time involved in just cleaning the floors
is dreadful.
--and don't even get me started on cleaning those
numberless windows.
ugh.
UGH.
And yes, I realize that if I did live there,
I'd have FT housecleaners too,
but my goodness,
I'd still be in charge of getting it done.

Being invited into a Mc-Mansion as a guest
is wonderful, delightful even
but
after the invitation to clean one--
I find my Self no longer enchanted
by the spectacle.

And that, my friends is a lesson for Me.
I discovered I am a Simple Woman.
I want space for my stuff
space for my yahoo's stuff
and room for guests
and once I have that much space,
I'm good.
And here, the Lord knew it all along.

*Now, some more things I learned last week from my stint as being a housecleaner:
Mrs. Meyers All Purpose Cleaner.
I'm a Mrs. Meyer's Convert.
She is Green and Lovely.
Pair Mrs. Meyers up with
Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser
and you've got a really good team
for tough stains.
And good ol vinegar and water is best and cheapest
for cleaning windows and glass.
Use lint-free, fabric-softener-free cloths to
wipe windows and glass down for a smudge-free
shine.
And for hardwood floors,
I tried and liked Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaners.

So there ya have it--
the stuff I learned from cleaning McMansions.
Good stuff, Maynard.






9 comments:

  1. That's the first thing that comes to my mind when I see a mcmansion..........ugh who would want to clean that?

    I enjoy being mcplain jane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister-in-law lived in a huge house like that when her kids were young. It was fun to visit, but I never wanted to live there. Even with two weekly house cleaners, she was busy with it all the time.

    Like you, I'm happy with just enough room and a little to spare...

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I need me some Ms. Meyers... for my Happy Meal sized house :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to look out the car window at those big houses and imagine what the lives of those people must be like... and if I dared to say any such thing, my mom's response was always "I wouldn't want to clean it!"

    I used to fantasize about walking up to the door and pretending I was a journalist with a home and garden magazine and ask for a tour. It would be a ruse just to find out what the beautiful people who lived in such beautiful places would be like.

    Years later, I've come to learn that people in those big houses have the same problems that I have. They face problems I can't imagine. Behind that beautiful door, there could be just as much unhappiness as I thought I had from my car window...

    ReplyDelete
  5. AND after all that, can you imagine FURNISHING ALL THAT!!! for every season no less, I'm exhausted just thinking about it. Nope not for me either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with you! I have never been a fancy Nancy and my own house keeps me busy enough with cleaning that I cannot imagine caring for something so huge!
    I also feel that way about yards. People always talk about wanting acreage - UGH...Not me. That is alot to take care of and I like to travel and do fun stuff not mow lawns and spread fertilizer!
    Give me the simple happy life!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sometimes wish for a house cleaner person. What I discovered was two sweet beautiful neighbor girls - sisters, ages 15 & 17. I don't know what I'd do without them. I love to hear them chat, sing, hum, visit as they go about the tasks I need assistance with.

    They do more than just clean my home . . .

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always thought that way about large houses. Why make more room to clean. After living in our large rental for a couple years I definitely cemented a "no larger than THAT" square footage rule.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!