Saturday, February 12, 2011

Developing Natural Abilities and Gifts into Talents



Do you have any talents?


When I was younger I wondered if I had any talents.
I wasn’t sure if I did.
My talents weren’t obvious.

As I’ve aged,
I discovered the secret to finding my talents--
that is to cultivate my natural abilities
and nourish them.

One of my natural abilities
is handwriting.
As a young girl,
I used to write my name
over and over and over again,
with different angles, loops, and styles.
Then, years later
my husband was in Chiropractic College,
I had a new baby at home and
didn’t want to work out of the house.
But we needed me to have, at least, a small income.
To say I was not interested in babysitting other people’s kids
is an understatement.
I’d have rather had my eyeballs poked out
one at a time than do that.
The new baby was number four for me,
I just couldn’t take on more kids.
I was already getting through post-partum depression,
and needed a creative outlet too.
I had a friend who began sewing window treatments
To make a little extra,
And another friend who started baking her famous chocolate cakes
For small restaurants in town to bring in some money,
And I thought, I could try something too.

So I went to the local public library
and checked out some books and videos (yes, videos)
on calligraphy and purchased a calligraphy pen and practice paper.
I taught myself how to calligraph each letter,
then words,
and practiced, practiced, practiced!!
A friend of mine had a baby
so as a gift to her,
I offered to do her baby announcements.
From that I got referrals doing wedding announcements,
graduations, work certifications,
you name it.
A business was born that I really enjoyed.
I still have opportunities these 20-some years later
to express that talent and make a little money on the side.

I’m always very interested in listening to others’ stories
about how they developed their natural abilities
into true talents:

Michael McLean, a popular LDS songwriter and musician shared
his experience at a BYU Women’s Conference
that he had submitted his own music to Deseret Book
years before the public heard it.
Many times.
And each time, he was rejected.
And lest you think he took it all in stride,
he generously shared that he’s struggled with depression
most of his life, so it’s not like the rejections were as
water off a duck’s back.
But he continued to develop his talents and passions
and finally someone at Deseret had the good sense to say “Yes”.

Sally DeFord, another renowned composer, songwriter, pianist
shared her beginnings in a Relief Society meeting.
She had grown up in a home where there wasn’t a lot of money.
A neighbor had an old piano they sold to her for twenty-five dollars.
It even had some missing keys.
Still, she loved it and nourished her natural abilities until
she was accepted at BYU’s School of Music.
She shared that once she got there,
she realized that was not where she wanted to be.
She heard music differently than how they taught it
and withdrew.
Still, she continued to develop her talents and as a member of her Stake,
I can tell you, she is THE source for our musical productions,
composing some of the most beautiful hymns I’ve ever heard.
And her website lets you download all of it for Free.
She said the music isn’t hers, she’s just the channel it comes through.

Karen Jones is an Interior Designer.
She just won her 13th Parade of Homes
“Best Designer” and “People’s Choice” awards
last Fall here in Colorado Springs.
She did not go to school for Interior Design.
Karen has taught small classes to homemakers for years
on how to decorate smartly without a lot of money.
She also shared on a Parade of Homes Tour
I attended, that she looks at lots of magazines and books
about design and decorating to get inspiration for her own work.
She has her own Showroom and truly,
has a loyal following here in Colorado,
as well as clients from coast to coast.
I work for her in her All About Home Showroom.

My good friend Dotti Kirkpatrick is a mother to many.
After having a less-than-good birthing experience
With her first child,
She began looking at homebirths and midwives on her own.
Then after having some positive homebirths,
She bided her time until her eighth child was three years old,
And went to school to become a Certified Professional Midwife.
She is now the busiest Midwife in Colorado,
And women of all ages look to her for her wisdom, strength, and care.
She was my midwife and I have worked alongside her as a Midwife Assistant—
something I had always wanted to do since my own homebirth experiences.

I am inspired by others’ talents—
Whether they have the talent for making a delicious meal,
Or sewing their children’s clothing,
Baking bread,
Floral arranging,
Singing,
Writing,
Playing an instrument,
Or other “less noticeable” talents, like
expressing their beautiful talent of compassion,
a listening ear,
a willing shoulder to be leaned upon,
a kind word when none else are to be found.
Those are talents too.
And just like every other attribute, we humans have,
All the good stuff must be developed and cultivated, nourished
and exercised.
I have also met others who were not willing to share their talents—
There was a man in our ward who was an accomplished pianist.
He played with a city orchestra—he was that good.
Yet, he refused to play piano for Church meetings.
I know a sister who is a lovely painter.
specifically at tole painting—
I recall sitting beside her at a craft night and she shrugged off
the request of help to younger sisters just learning to paint,
saying she wasn’t there for them,
but for herself.
Obviously, her response impressed me,
because that was over 10 years ago
and I remember it clearly.

And never think you're too old to learn something new!
My mother-in-law, Doris went back to school at forty-two years old
and got her Masters' Degree in Library Science and Education.
She taught in a California Middle School until her untimely death.
But she was doing something she loved.
What an inspiration.

I find I am happiest when I get to express my natural abilities,
talents or gifts in any setting, for any person or cause.
The joy I feel is immeasurable.

What about you?
What are your talents and how have you developed them?
What inspires you?

9 comments:

  1. What a great post and SO interesting to read about all these great women.

    I once had a man in my ward who sang beautifully in a large community choir but refused to sing at church. Never quite understood that one...

    My main talent has always been writing, and I think it developed as a result of church opportunities far more than from anything I learned at school. Using our God-given talents for the purposes they were intended is a responsibility that comes with them, I think.

    These are gifts we are given, and part of the deal is being willing to give them away. Otherwise, what's the point?

    JMHO, of course.

    Thanks, Dawn.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really is an inspiring post.

    I always assumed that, wanting to be a writer, I wanted to have a book published and in the shops. But I have discovered there is just as much fulfillment in writing for free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome stories... and I just realized you live in my grandmother's stake :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good post!
    It shows that perserverence pays off.
    Even if you don't become famous or published you are doing what Heavenly Father wants us to do and that is to NOT bury our talents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some of those "obvious" talents - like music and teaching - and they really have been a blessing in my life. I feel good about the fact that I've never had a problem with sharing them.

    Lately, though, I've been working on exploring my 'less obvious' talents, and it's been a wonderful journey. Thanks for writing this, D. People need to hear what you're saying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crafting. That would have to be my talent. As a child I began by making barbie clothes using my mom's sewing machine. I then moved on to paint by numbers and then to sketching a little. I have done everything from cake deocorating to macrame, jewely making, oil painting, woodworking, sewing, scrapbooking and on and on.
    My love for all things crafty is something that I feel deep in my soul. That is why I love President Uchtdorf's quote: "The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the soul."

    Great post.
    And one of your greatest talents that I have been able to see is your writing. I love reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is neat that you found a talent that you could develop and use to help your family too!
    Very nice!
    I always have thought that I am not super talented at any one thing but I am really good at alot of things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is Dotti Kirkpatrick LDS?

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!