Friday, September 12, 2008

A Mom Moment


I have an 8 year old son who thinks he is an only child.

He's my number 6 and Kent's first child.

He will be 9 in November.

He has a habit that has been since he could crawl out of his own bed and make his way to mine. None of the other children--even Arianna, number 7, does that!

Five out of seven nights a week, this boy who stands nearly 5 feet tall, comes and gets in our bed. I think it's because he was born at home in that bed, and he is like a homing pigeon...it just calls to him like the sea creatures from Homer's Odyessy. We'd have to tie him to the bedpost to keep him in his own bed to keep him out of ours.

Honestly, I have done all I can to keep him comfy in his own bed: a nice mattress, soft sheets, POwer Ranger sheets, Bob the Builder Sheets, a custom-made padded headboard, a down-filled duvet...you name it, I have tried to make his bed a place he would want to be!

I have lectured him...both sweetly and firmly. I have sent him back to his own bed a zillion times. I have tried bribery...5 nights in his own bed earns a reward.

But truly, I am going to blame Kent. YUP. It's the Man's fault.

Because!!! because because: Joseph doesn't come to My side of the bed to crawl in, nope, he goes over to Kent's side, whereupon Kent in a half-conscious state, SITS UP and allows Joseph to crawl in behind him, over his pillow and right in the middle!

The next thing I feel is a little cool arm drape over my neck and a soft voice say, "I love you Momza."

I don't stand a chance. This man-child will be in my bed until he's 7 feet tall and grows a beard.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a Thought? Share It!