Monday, March 30, 2009

What Does Sisterly Love Look Like?



Dani. All of 17 years old. Dressed for Prom. She wasn't going with a date--in fact, she was a Chaperone for Dean and his date. She drove him to pick his date up and sat with them at Prom.

We didn't even know Dean was going to Prom until the young lady's father called us 2 days before and asked us if we knew they were going together. Um no, we didn't! Dean and his friend, J. were in the same SRR class (special resource room) in school, and apparently J. asked him to take her. Dean, being the affable, agreeable young man he is, said "sure." And left it at that.
I haveta admit, I was so glad he would get the chance to go to Prom. So I called a tux shop and spoke to the manager ahead of time and told him the situation: that Dean and I would be arriving together, but that I wanted this to be Dean's personal experience, not mine and his together. And he would need alot of help and also what the budget for this would be. The manager was great and said he'd be ready.
SO when we got to the Tux shop & introduced ourselves, I stepped back and watched as this awesome manager gave perfect direction to Dean as they put together a very handsome tux.
Then, Dani--who had no intention of going to Prom--showed an enormous amount of maturity, and became a willing chauffer/chaperone. She sat with them when they sat, she visited friends while Dean and J. danced, and she drove the date home when it was over. She could have protested about how embarrassing it might be. But that's not her. She gave Dean something he couldn't give himself: a real date to Prom.
Dean will not go to college, learn to drive, get married, have a family or a career. His purposes on this earth are different than ours. But what he can do, we encourage and cheer along!
What does sisterly love look like? Saying "yes" when she could've said "no".

12 comments:

  1. Aw, that's the sweetest thing ever--the tux guy, the prom, the pictures, and the sister! Wow, brought tears to my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have the most wonderful children on earth? I hope mine have such a kind and loving regard for them. Your daughter is so mature and giving ... I would keep her if I were you. Thank you for sharing that experience, how beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did good Momza! Those are some pretty amazing kids! I think children like Dean are here to teach us and help us grow. I sure feel good when I read stories like that! Makes me try and be a better person, like Dani and Dean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this story. Siblings are the best. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful memory to always hold in your heart. It is these precise moments which make you understand exactly why you are a mother. Brilliant teaching, loving and strengthening Mom & Dad!!! Send a big thank you to Dani and tell her what an ispiration I think she is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is awesome! You must be bursting with pride. My downs brother would have never allowed me or anyone to chaperone him to any of the dances :o) LOL Can't blame him though, he was cooler in HS than I ever was! :o)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like Dean's sister learned perfect grace from Dean's mother.

    Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet story and what a wonderful night for Dean and his date. You have to be so proud of your daugther. What a great girl! Kudos also to the man at the tux store.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a SWEET story, thanks for sharing, it makes my eyes water!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful sister! And what a great story. It looks like you have a great family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a great Mom and very obviously setting a terrific example. What a giving hear Dani has. Gosh, you're gettin' me teary-eyed over here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such a sweet post...I just loved it. You are definetly doing something right as a mother. Way to go Dara!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!