Monday, April 6, 2009

The Secret Is OUT! Oh Baby!


So every Thanksgiving we go around the dinner table and say what we're thankful for...
this Thanksgiving we'll be adding another blessing to our family. That's right, I'm gonna be a Granma/Abuelita/Babushka!!!

Dani & Mr. Idaho told us weekend before last. And it has been a nightmare trying to keep it on the d/l until they wanted to share it with their friends and family members! I avoided my friends for days so I wouldn't crack under pressure. Poor Nan thought I was mad at her! Sorry Nan! I knew if I even heard your voice, I'd have to tell you I was in Your Club now!!


We were told to tell Noone.
That was Saturday.

I called David Scott in Boise, Saturday night. I know, I know. It was my tricky way of not telling him, but getting him to call her and hopefully, she'd tell him.

ME:"Hey, when was the last time you spoke to Nellie? (her other nickname).
David:"Uh-I don't know. Why? She pregnant?"
ME:"What? I'm just saying you should call her sometime. Soon. K?"
David: "Yeah, Dani's pregnant. Cool."
ME: "I didn't say that. Just CALL her, okay?"
David: "Sure Mom."

Ugh. Why was this so difficult?! Am I that transparent?



Then the travelling Spring Break Girls came home Sunday night.


"What are you so happy about, Mom?" says Nana.
ME: "Oh, um, Just glad you both are home safe. That's all.[pause]Say, have you spoken to Dani this weekend?"
Nana: "Yeah, well, not today. Why? What did she tell you?"
(At this point, I'm wondering if Dani told her before she told Me.)
ME: "Nothinggggg. What did she tell you?"
Nana: "Oh nothing. What's going on ?"
ME: "Nothing. You might wanna call her though and tell her about your trip. I'm sure she'd like to hear all about it."

And then I left the room before I cracked.

Monday night, Dani calls. I asked if she'd told Nana. Nope, she hadn't. I BEGGED her to please tell her so I can talk to someone about this!!!!
So I go to Nana's room and say, "Hey, Dani's on the phone. Talk to her."

Nana looks at me suspicious. "What's goin on?"

"I don't know. She just wants to talk to you."

So Nana sits down on her bed. I watch her face for that moment when I know Dani has told her.

It's coming... first, the bewilderment. Then, OH MY HECK!!!! Tears!! Tears!! Laughter and Tears!!! YESSSSSSS! We have a touchdown!

So I left the room so the two of them can have this moment as sisters. Oh heck, I cried too. Whew! Now I can talk about this with another emotional boob in the house, as Mr W is not an emotional boob, and after being told about the baby, smiled, gave Dani a hug then found the remote and went back to watching March Madness.

Monday night, at family prayer, it was my turn to offer the prayer. Yeah. Do you see where this is going??
"...And please bless Dani in this pregnancy...and the ba--[o no! I didn't!]--!."

"WHAT???" came the cries of the children! "What? Dani's pregnant? With a BABY? WOOHOOO!!!" The Boofus jumps up and down "I'm gonna be an Uncle!" Daisie, looks bewildered. "Really?" And the Caboose starts right in: "I'll never get to hold the baby! You guys are gonna hog it!"

That's right, let's start fighting over this child 8 months before she gets here.
Mr Wonderful leans back. "Who didn't see that coming?" (I am terrible at keeping secrets, a well-known fact.)
I really just flat-out forgot to be quiet. But hey, when I'm praying, I'm praying. I talk to Heavenly Father about our family in family prayer. So there ya go.
The thing is, I had to tell the kids to "act surprised" once Dani decides to tell them and until then, don't say a word about it.
Dani & Mr. Idaho came down again this past Saturday. In front of the whole family, Dani asks, "Does everyone know?"
Without skipping a beat, we all reply "YES!"...and then lots of hugs are given. She just grinned and rolled her eyes at me. Hey, she knows me. I can't keep good news to myself. Can't do it.


It's a great time in our family. Another person to love is always a good thing, isn't it?!!!

So that, along with General Conference and a Spring Blizzard sums up my weekend. I can't complain.

What about you? How did you tell your folks you were pregnant?





13 comments:

  1. WOOOHOOO!!!! Yes! I'm so happy for you....and for Dani. As you know, life is dull until a child comes! Then things really get going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! That's way exciting!
    My parents pretty much just said, "Cool, we thought this would happen soon." I was really hoping for a more thrilled reaction! My sisters reacted the same way too. It was much more gratifying to tell Adam's family because they all acted more excited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to her and to you!

    We told my in-laws over the phone when I was pregnant with our first, and my FIL said "How did THAT happen?" I think he was just shocked. And we told my family Christmas Eve when we were reading our favorite Christmas stories and singing Christmas songs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations. Excited for you and your family. I wouldn't be able to keep that secret either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATS!!!! I love this post. I know how you feel. I had to keep so many secrets-it was ridiculous. I have two pregnant daughters and 1 pregnant niece and they are all due within 3 weeks of each other. It was HORRIBLE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always told my mom before anyone---and twice before even the expectant father knew! And I even guessed your secret right---not that I'm a good guesser---you are just that transparent in writing too! LOL Congrats to everyone including the new "granny"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!!!! Believe me, this is when it starts getting good. Just wait until you hold that baby! Oh, will she let you be in the delivery with her?

    And as for how I told my parents I was pregnant the first time . . . I didn't. My mother told me! We got married in Utah and six weeks later had a reception in Mexico where my husband was from. During the entire reception I was so six and kept throwing up. My mother told me I was pregnant--and she was right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That is such amazing news! Congrats to ALL of you! I have heard (from my mother) that being a grandma is the BEST thing ever! What a sweet story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful news! I know you're going to make a terrific grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to all of you for the fun support! Yes, I will be there for Dani and Brad in the delivery room! I'm a Doula--you better believe I"m going to work with them over the next few months to prepare them for a wonderful birth experience! I can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a cute post. I was holding my daughter's (almost 1) Easter dress up to her and thinking about her life and ahhhh, it makes me all kinds of emotional to think about being in your shoes ... little girls ... life is so beautiful and precious! Thanks for sharing the good news!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My DIL was kind enough to allow me into the delivery room when she had her first baby. I hadn't expected that at all, and at first I was just going to stay while she was in labor for a little while. But because she was having natural childbirth, which is what I had, too, when things started to get a big hairy, she decided she wanted me to stay in the room. Boy, was that cool! It's really different being on the non-birthing end, and I liked it!! My sister was there with me, and she got to stay, too. My DIL said she found my sister very "soothing."

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH. MY. HECK!! You are going to make the best gramma ever. I love that story. And the comment of hogging the baby.

    I love all your posts, I am sorry I am not such a great commenter anymore.....I will try better. You are an awesome person and I love your kiddos.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!