Thursday, April 23, 2009

Walkin My Bahooey Off

So this is right by the Entrance of the US Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs. It's not the trailhead--it's somewhere in the middle. The little map nailed to the right side shows the Entire Trail-- it ends north in Wyoming and goes to the very bottom of Colorado. It's not a trail you can do in a day unless you have superpowers. Which, I don't.
This is it. It accomodates hikers, bikers, horseback riders, dogs...and whatever else feels the need for some sunshine and miles.





The parking lot...it's always full...but because the trail is so huge, you hardly see more than a few people at a time...everyone is going a different direction. The snow-covered mountain in the back is Pike's Peak.




I chuckled at this post on the trail...it says why there are no bison in these parts anymore...basically b/c pioneers ate them...like they had a choice to go to the McD's a half mile away or eat bison...


Just a mile marker....not sure where the 47 miles comes in...cuz we are more than 47 miles from the bottom of the trail and more than 47 miles from Wyoming. I will investigate this further and get back to you.
The trail looking North to the Monument range. Colorado Springs is considered an "Alpine Desert"...of course this will green up once summer is here.
And that's my walk today. It was therapeutic actually. I'm grateful it's just a stone's throw from our backdoor. And I'm gettin' a tan too...can't beat that with a stick!
P.S. There were 2 dogs on the trail today...a Burmese Mountain dog...gorgeous! And a light honey-colored Golden Retriever! Be still my heart!!!










8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I rode my bike there once and it was very nice.
    I try to walk a lot lately on the sidewalks and trail near our home because the exercise is good, and because the outdoor air really helps my...morning sickness. :] I'm almost 8weeks and sick as a dog, just not throwing up like Dani. We just told our families this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so beautiful...That is quite a goal...I'm impressed !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like a big, blue sky stretching out in front of you to give your heart that wide-open feeling.

    Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful trail. So different than what we have out here--ours are always through forests and you never know what critter is out there lurking (I don't mind the bears, but the mountain lions freak me out). That trail is just calling for a canine companion though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had a Berner before, they are beautiful dogs. My husband used to take him hiking the the San Bernardino mountains in California.

    ReplyDelete
  6. verse two
    "The Santa Fe Trail is a nice place to walk
    I take my teenage daughter Diana and we talk...
    Still wish I had a slobberin dog to walk with me..
    But I will take my camera, and take pictures of the trail for my blogger friends to see..."

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Tori: Congrats on #2! Hard to believe one of my MiaMaids is so mature! You're making me feel so old! lol I love you!
    @Lynn: The goal is to walk everyday...not the entire length of the trail! lol
    @Sue: That's how I feel!
    @Anonymous: Perfect Verse! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!