Tuesday, April 21, 2009

What's the Best Part of Your Day?


So about 10 years ago, we started a routine at dinner time. I actually started it to get my teenagers to open up and talk a little when they were at the age of grunts, groans and eye-ball rolling. I'm sure noone else on the planet has those types of teens, but I did and this was my wicked plan to get them to say more than "fine" when I asked how they were doing.


So this is how it goes:

We start at one end of the table and go around. Someone asks the Question:

"WHAT WAS THE BEST PART OF YOUR DAY?"

This cannot be a simple yes or no--see that?? And sometimes, because they were "rotten teenagers" (a term of affection in our house), the answers were oft times cynical, sarcastic, and/or ridiculous...but, 10 years later, we're still doing it. And the little ones love it! They can't wait for their turn!

There was anoother question we asked: "What was the Worst Part of your Day?"--but that added alot more negativity than I wanted to deal with at the dinner table...so we dropped that question.

Hey, pick your battles and mark your strategies, you know?

So anyway, it seems benign at first glance, but it really did and does continue to be part of our nightly dinner conversations.

What do YOU do at dinner time to make it more fun?

8 comments:

  1. We do the same thing! It really does get them talking. Great minds think alike. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea. We usually just grab and stuff as fast as we can before someone else eats all the food...just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea-I still have a few grunting teenagers around here. I've tried this in the past-but not consistently. We have a hard time eating together these days-everyone is on a different schedule. I feel really strongly about eating together but it is tougher now than when everyone was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my family is together at dinnertime, it's hard to get a word in edgewise. Even as teenagers, they were always trying to one-up each other in humor, drama, etc. In fact, my task was to try to achieve some quiet time so we could actually eat and digest the food.

    I'm afraid they love to talk, just like their mama...

    Having said all that, I think your idea is a great one, and I do like the notion of structuring the table talk a little more. Too bad they have flown the nest or I'd give it a try1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good idea! I'll have to store that one away for when my kids are out and about more a couple of years down the road. But I can always ask my hubby the question.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love dinner time. It is my favorite time of the day--at least when the kids are home. We like the "best part of the day" discussions as well. Next week my daughter Kristen comes home from BYU. She is so much fun and always livens up the dinner table. I am looking forward to that.

    By the way, should I be insulted my daughter likes to read your blog more than mine?? :-) She loves your blog and frequently brings it up when I talk with her on the phone. You will have to meet her someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Moody: I had to laugh at your comment! Growing up with 4 brothers, if one had to leave the table for any reason, you took your plate with you!
    @Joy: Dinner is my favorite time too...especially when everyone's home! And I'm flattered that you, your daughter or anyone else would find my lil blog worth mentioning. SO thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We do "highs" and "lows" ... the kids LOVE it, I hope they still will when they are "rotten teenagers" (hee hee). Anyhow, it is a great way to stimulate conversation and get us interacting. So far it has been good to discuss the "lows", but we'll see how that goes in the future. I love the Norman Rockwell you have posted, that is one of my all-time faves!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!