Thursday, June 25, 2009

Let the Randomness Flow!

Somehow, Someway, I have had time this week to blog! WooHOO!

The kids are still in Summer School. So I clean while they're gone. And we run errands when they're home or go play at the skating rink or to the mountains, library or they just run around like chickens with their heads cut-off up and down the street with buddies.

Last Friday, I cleaned their rooms so thoroughly that the only thing left in their bedrooms is their beds and dressers. No toys = no messes. Toys all went to the playroom in the basement. SO now they just haveta make their beds in the morn and they don't go back in there until bedtime.
LOVE IT!

The Clinic is closed this week, as all of our June babies have been born! Woohoo!
Have I told you I love being a Doula yet? I don't know if I've ever mentioned that, but yeah I do.
***********************************
Okay so what else?? I've got time to write and my head is buzzin' with stuff!

Okay okay...um. The puppy, Dakota, is growing...and growing. She is a sweet girl and goes with us all over town. We're feeding her this dog food called AVODERM--it has avocado in it...and while it is not my habit to talk about dogfood, I just gotta say, this food is really really good for two reasons: 1- her black lab coat is amazingly soft and shiny...like seriously, total strangers stop and comment on how pretty she is. 2- she assimilates it so well, her bm's are smaller. Which makes poop-patrol less stinky.
And that's all I'm gonna say about, well, dogfood & poop.
**************************************
And now onto Nana...she is still waiting to hear from the Nanny Agency about placement. She had another application to fill out. And she had to write an introduction letter to her prospective family. Now, she's just waiting, to get a phone interview. We started a thing where everyone writes down our predictions where she's going...and the winner(s) get treated to dinner. I say Connecticut...so does Mr W., and one of our missionaries. There are guesses for NJ, NY, MASS., WV, RI, MD, and DC. So we'll see.
**********************
It's Hot here...in the high 80's. We don't have A/C...not alot of people do actually. Because around 3PM everyday, we get a downpour of rain and it cools everything off really quick.
Growing up in the South, it was so humid that you could see moisture hanging in the air--then it would pour down rain and the steam would rise off the pavement making it worse. Rain brought very little relief. Not so here in the Rockies...when it rains, it's cold. You can get hypothermia in July. I am not kidding. So not alot of people have A/C...because by the time you think, "Man, it's warm in here"...you look outside to see the dark clouds rolling in and it's gonna be cool.
When we moved to Arizona from South Carolina it was March. It was sunny and wonderful in March...compared to overcast and chilly. I loved it. Then May came. then June. Then the Electricity bill...for $582.00. And I cried. That was a vacation to San Diego, if you know what I mean! The news weathermen down there said the same thing every stinkin day "Hot and Sunny, Hot & Sunny, Sunny & Hot, Hot Hot Hot." They even tell you when to keep toddlers and old folks INSIDE. To go anywhere with children was an ordeal I do not wish to repeat in this life:
- put your sandals on
- and your sunglasses
-grab a potholder if there's not one already in the car.
-grab the car seats (didn't leave them in the car)
- go out to the car and turn it on.
-Blast the A/C for a few minutes to cool everything off inside the car....like seatbelts.
-Take the kids out.
-listen to everyone complain: "It's Hot Mommy!"
-Take the sunshield off the dashboard, that sometimes felt like it was melting in your hands.
-Use the potholders on the steering wheel or if you forgot the potholder, drive with two fingers.

We had water-misters on our covered porch for our dog...and for the pingpong table that noone used in the summer at all. We used to put the sprinklers under the trampoline to cool off the black tarp so they could jump on it...but first you had to run enough water thru the sprinklers so as not to cause 3rd degree burns. We went to the awesome waterparks, and neighborhood pools nearly everyday...where the water was so warm it was like bathwater. But it still felt good.
Many times, I'd pack up the kids super early and head up to Prescott or Sedona or Flagstaff for the day just to cool off--it's almost always 10o cooler. All that heat got to me by August...it was unrelenting.
I also shopped more while I lived there than any place I've ever lived...because the mall was AIR CONDITIONED! And their A/C was so much cooler than ours at home. We had to keep our thermostat nearly at 80o to keep our bill manageable...in the $400.'s.
Okay, ONE GOOD THING: I used a clothesline to dry clothes, which saved us money, and let me say this: It dried faster than it washed. I'd start with a whole basket of laundry and by the time I hung up the last article of clothing, the first one was dry already. I am not kidding!
So that was a good thing about Arizona.
Oh and their Mexican food is the BEST, bar none. Garcias (fajitas!), Macayos (pollo fundido & their house salsa-yum!) and a zillion others. Yum. Thats one thing I always request when friends go down there...bring home some Macayos Salsa!
Even business associates of Mr W have sent the stuff to him! Good stuff, Maynard!
So that's all I have to say about AZ. Wait, I was too fast...one more...the Mesa Temple. Heavenly. A little peice of my heart is still there.
****************************

David Archuleta is coming to Denver July 20th. I got two tickets for Daisie. Second row. 50 bucks. Why? Because I never got to see Donny, that's why.
But she's been selfish and all of 14 lately and I wanna smack her and not take her. But I don't and I will. Because I never got to see Donny. I knew every word to every song. Plastered his brown-eyed face all over my bedroom walls, ceiling, closets and dresser with black electrical tape--that left a mark and had to be painted over when we moved. I wore purple socks. And let my BFF's call me "Dawnie" (sheesh!) and planned my Hawaiian honeymoon with him when I was in the 6th grade.
So I'm taking Daisie to see David Archuleta. She swoons when she talks about him. And swooning over a sweet Mormon boy is a good thing, I've found.
*****************************

Dani is in full-swing of raging hormones. Take cover. Be glad you don't live with her. That's all I'm gonna say. Cuz she may read this...and I'm too young to die.

*****************************

Boofus made his rabbit/chipmunk trap. Pics to follow. For right now, he's trying to trap a rat he saw in the garage. I hate rats and mice. Like, I panic a twinge when I open the garage door now, cuz I don't even wanna see it. Mr W knows he has to get rid of it before I can go out there again.
Snakes and rats. {shudder} can't do it.

*****************************

That's all I got right now. I feel like a new woman! Cleaned out the cobwebs and I'm ready to go!
Have a SUPER AWESOME COOL SUMMER DAY!

8 comments:

  1. All of our toys are in the basement family room-none in the rooms. I wouldn't have it any other way!

    My sis lived in AZ for a while, and she said that people in the summer down there are like zombies, where they only come out at night, because the day was just too hot. And by night, she meant at midnight or later. She was single, though; I don't think that could happen with kids. She also said it was opposite of Idaho, where we stay in all winter and go from heated house to heated car to heated building; there they go from AC house to AC car to AC building in the summer.

    I know ALL about the raging hormones. As does my hubby. I feel for the girl.

    You need a cat for the rat! Our cat ran out of mice to catch and kill, so she's moved on to birds. It's disgusting, but kind of cool at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your post...you always have so much to say and so much going on...its a good thing you didnt have to take a long summer break I would of missed ya and I just found ya!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your life is crazily busy, but it always sounds like fun. And btw, I couldn't do the Arizona heat. I almost die every time I go to visit Todd at the U of A. Feels like an oven to me!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey what is with all this anti-Arizona stuff? :-) We really are not zombies in the summer, but it is true we spend more time inside. Although this year has been really nice. It is cloudy today and only about 100. That is much better than blue skies and 115!! Good luck with everything you have going on, I am eager to hear where your daughter ends up nanny-ing and I hope your younger daughter enjoys the concert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Joy: Not Anti-Az...just anti-heat...even if it is a dry heat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to hear from you. Would love to hear your doula stories. Any chance NaNa will come to Indiana?

    ReplyDelete
  7. After reading about Arizona I have a new appreciation for HOT! I'm so thankful that our hot here is not that hot! and what an awesome mom you are to give your daughter David Archuletta tickets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have described my life in AZ these days perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!