Friday, June 5, 2009

Grab Your Family and GO!




Tents...check.
Sleeping bags...check.
Grill...check.
marshmallow-pokers...check.
graham crackers...check.
hersheys chocolate bars...check.
cooler...check.


We're headed up to our favorite place in Colorado--Rocky Mountain National Park--later this morning. Mr Wonderful's idea of a vacation is sleeping in the dirt. Sleeping under the stars is not cliche to him, my Montana mountain man. Sleeping in a tent is "cheating". The only thing that could make this trip even better would be if it rained at night too...he likes to sleep with the sounds of raindrops hitting the tent. He's the first one up in the morning. He gets the campfire going. He gets the water boiling for hot chocolate. He starts the griddle and gets the bacon and eggs going as we all start to pour out of the sleeping bags and tents, with bed heads covered in tooks. (sp?) Mornings are the best when you're camping. We poke around until we're good and ready to close up the food in the car, zip the tents and then grab the fishing poles and hit the trails, rivers, and lakes for the day.

I didn't grow up camping. Ever. When I was 15 my folks moved from Charlotte, NC to Denver, CO (because the Broncos won the Super Bowl and my dad was obsessed with them. no kidding.)
anyway, my folks bought a tent so we camped all the way across the country in order to save money. Back then, we kids thought of it as a great adventure. We had a small car with 7 people in it. It was a Dodge Coronet. My youngest brother, Keir, rode across country lying in the backwind sheild dashboard. The rest of us thought he had the best seat, b/c at least he could lay down, while we were sitting shoulder to shoulder. (seatbelt laws didn't exist).
Anyway, when we got to Colorado, we camped out at Cherry Creek Reservoir for the maximum days you could--21--which was just enough time because my dad had found employment in that time, and we moved into a home.
We never camped again.
My first husband didn't like the outdoors at all, so it wasn't until I met Mr. W that I got to experience true camping. And I really like it.

The kids love it...LOVE it!-- the tents, the sleeping bags, the cooking outside, the eveing stars and flashlights (!), running all over all day long with each other! What a nice change for all of us to be together with no distractions.
Even your teenagers will love it!
So, go camping this summer. It's worth the investment in a tent and bags and get a little Coleman grill, some flashlights (AND BATTERIES!) a cooler, and you're set! Or borrow it all if you can! You'll be so glad you did!

If you haven't been before, it's a great investment for family time. And unlike a trip to Disneyland, you can go and come back in a weekend--with the economy the way it is--short trips can make alot of memories over a whole summer than one big expensive trip. Just a thought. For RMNP, it's only $20.00 a night. That's less than a trip to McDonald's for our whole family!
So come on! you can make reservations for YOUR National Park online...simple, simple!


12 comments:

  1. You sound exactly like my husband! His favorite thing is camping under the stars. And every vacation he gets, that's what he wants to do.

    I love the outdoors, but sleeping on the ground doesn't feel so good to me anymore. When I go, we usually stay in a lodge, which is why I don't go all that often. I kinda hate to ruin his fun. (My son almost always goes with him when I don't, so at least he has company.)

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are in for a very fun adventure. We are headed to Durango tomorrow--one of my most favorite places on earth! We won't be sleeping under the stars though, but we will probably drink some hot chocolate while listening to the rain on the roof of the condo. :-) Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great time!!!! I am jealous. Mr. Wonderful and I are kindred spirits in that respect. I grew up in a forest playground. Amazing!!!! I love to wake up early and get everything going. What a fun time. Although as a San Diego Charger fan I can't agree with your Dad's choice of cities to move to ;P. Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANKS for the extra push. We are so going camping (7 year old, 3 year old, 1 year old) this summer. It's gonna rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids love camping out. Unfortunately, their annual dose is pitching the tents in the backyard for the annual Father's Day campout. The way you describe it sounds like so much fun, but I'm on to your propaganda. You forgot to mention the bugs and the heat and the dirt and the lack of wireless connection! But you all have at it -- and post some pictures when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So me and Dani just read through all the funny quote on the side of your blog...I about died. So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and my husband should join the same club. Lovers of all thing national parkish.

    =)

    PS. We have changed our trip destination due to the weather and will now be heading up to Yosemite and then down to Death Valley. Talk about climate change!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you all have a safe and wonderful time !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, momza you sound like pioneer stock to me! My idea of camping is a flush toilet and doors that close and keep out all manner of wild animals, however, I am glad that you enjoy it and are having such a great time.
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. My son and his girlfriend (who hasn't done much "real" camping) are coming up in 2 weeks and we're all going to a local State Park to camp. I can't wait. I've always camped. My folks finally got a small trailer (though not fancy--didn't have toilet or shower or anything) but I always slept in a tent. We live surrounded by forest, but we haven't been camping much in the last 10 years. I really want to make sure we change that! Oh and an easy breakfast is omelettes in a bag: break 2 eggs (any more than that takes too long to cook) into a ziplock bag, add your cheese and sausage or bacon (cook at home and bring) and whatever else then simply boil in a pot of water. You can usually boil a few bags at a time. Simple, and no mess!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Amy: No bugs at RMNP...their only reptile is the harmless garter snake. As for the heat, we welcome it...remember we're over 8000 ft above sea level. AND, there are flushing toilets and sinks at the Park too!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Moody: I'm going to try your recipe! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!