Friday, August 21, 2009

A Parade in My Honor Would Really Mean Alot Right Now

Early Morning Seminary.




Are there awards for us?

The early-rising Mothers

who get up in the wee-morning hours

climb out of our warm beds

and warmer jammies

into

cold jeans

run a brush through our hair

squinting at the mirror

for an errant cockatoo hairdo

and brush our too-tired teeth

of morning-breath

when it's still morning

We wait

for the also-sleepy

teenager

to surface

in the kitchen

muttering about how early it is

and how late they are...

Then heading to the car

outside in the 47o

cold air

still grateful it's just

August

thinking:

"won't it be so freakin' cold in February!"

Driving before the sun rises

to another home with lights

smiling from the inside


a glimpse of the warm spirit

we are delivering

our pokey, impressionable, sleepy

Student

to

in hopes that the light

reflects into

their hearts and carries them

through the day.


I've got my

Parade-Wave

down

pretty good...

just sayin.




3 comments:

  1. That made me chuckle-it is true all parents who are up with their kids for early morning seminary deserve some recognition!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm glad I grew up where seminary was "release time"! And if we stay here that's what my kids will have. I'm SOOO not a morning person! Good for you for getting up with your kids that early!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. I never enjoyed that whole driving to seminary experience. I just don't like getting up before 6 AM, even for such a worthy reason.

    =)

    PS. LOVED when they turned 16 and could get themselves there!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!