Monday, November 30, 2009

Mothers Don't Have To Be Everything To Everyone, FYI

As I drove home from Loveland
Saturday,
I always leave there with a heavy heart.
I hate leaving Dean.
I wonder often why this is part of the Plan
for our family?

As I continued to drive,
the highway melted into my thoughts
and all I could think of
was
Why can't I just be ENOUGH for all of my children?
As much as I want to be all, do all
for them,
I just can't.


This thought stayed with me
all day Saturday
when I had a moment to myself
there it stood,
that lone thought:
"As much as I want to be a Perfect Mother to my children,
how come I am not?"
The weight of that brought tears, frankly.

Sunday afternoon,
I awoke from a nap
and there was that thought
again,
"Why can't I be enough?"
A tender mercy
whispered from Heaven
soothed my heart:

"You were never meant to be
everything to everyone in your family.
If you were,
Why would they need Me?
It is in the void of their lives,
that noone else can fill,
that they turn to Me.
This is why you cannot be everything
to them, nor ever be enough
that they never want.
This is the Plan.
You are their Mother,
I am their God."

11 comments:

  1. Ah, yet more words of wisdom from the great Momza. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. Makes sense to me. (And banishes a lot of potential guilt!)

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think in many ways we all share your feelings of inadequacy at times no matter what our children's abilities or disabilities. What comforting words you received. A sweet blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. And think they are the sentiments of almost every mother!! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love your insight and your willingness to share you learning moments with us. You are a gem
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tender Mercy from a loving Father in Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, now I have tears in my eyes. Such a tender mercy indeed. Have you ever had something sound so perfect that it can only come from one place? Yes tender mercies come if we only will listen. Thank you for sharing something so sacred.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you meet me for coffee sometime? I think somewhere in Missouri might be halfway. Seriously, your blog feeds me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this. Wonderful perspective and great reminder for so many of us that try to do so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, I really needed that today...you are a tender mercy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Dawn! Isn't it true, we want to be EVERYTHING....but can't. Maybe that desire can help us teach and guide our children to the Savior. And if our children accept Him, than we can be sure they will be safer and happier than we could have made them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!