Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Christmas Devotional Throw-down

 I turned on the fireplace, made hot cocoa with marshmallows, turned on the Christmas tree lights, shut the blinds, passed out blanket throws..."creating" the mood...


From the TV:
"Live!
From Temple Square in Salt Lake City,
the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
presents
The 2009 Christmas Devotional
featuring the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
and inspirational messages from
President Deiter F. Uchtdorff
President Henry B. Eyring
and
President Thomas S. Monson..."


From the Momza:

"Okay guys! It's ON!  Everyone come down stairs!
Get off the computer,
turn off the other TV,
go get Daisie out of her room and tell her to come up!
Come on guys! It's starting!
Hurry!
--what? No, we just ate...come sit down.
Get outta the kitchen...(waving hands wildly)
c'mon guys, they're sayin' the opening prayer!
SHHHH! (finger to lips)
Turn it up, k?
I can't hear it.
Sit down, Joseph.
No, not under the Christmas tree,
right there. (pointing to floor in front of TV)
One, Two, Three...
now, be quiet and listen to the beautiful music!
--where ya going, Bee?
No, no you cannot go upstairs right now.
This is important!
The Apostles are going to speak to us
after the singing
and you need to listen!
I said, Apostles! Apostles of Jesus Christ, dang it!
Sit down and be quiet!
Get your feet off your sister.
Sit up.
Lay down.
Listen.
Listen.
Listen.
Shhhhh.

(Choir finishes singing)
--Where's Joseph? where'd he go?  Joseph? Joseph?
(from the bathroom: "I'm in here.")
That's the third time you've gone to the bathroom.
Ari informs:  "He's not in the bathroom, he's laying in the hall playing with his Legos."
Come here, Joseph, right now!
Joseph, pointing to TV: "Well this is borrrrrrrrringggg. Why do I haveta watch it? I hate that loud singing."
 Just sit down, right now, or you'll be grounded to your room after it's over for the rest of the day. And I mean it.

Closing Prayer:  I hear music from a video game coming from the loft pc...the youngest are nowhere to be found. The oldest 3 are sleeping on the sofa, one on top of another.

I just loved the Christmas Devotional, didn't you?

10 comments:

  1. So funny! Thanks for your comment today. It helps so much to know we really are all in this together! Out here on the east coast, the devotional didn't start until 8, so we got the kids all excited about staying up late to watch it the entire thing. When it started, Lucy said, "You made us stay up late for THIS?!"

    Heh.

    (I really did love it though... and I did wind up with one six year old who could tell me all about the story President Monson told... so all was not lost!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did love it, but we had to tape it because we were out of town, and when we got back and played it all the way through, the last part of President Monson's talk was cut off. Not sure what happened with our DVR, but that really stunk!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! Love it... and good and sad to know that it happens still with kids your kids' ages. We tried to watch it, I turned it off twice (we had recorded it earlier) and eventually just gave up, thanks to the talking/fighting, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Crumb ... you mean it doesn't get any easier to watch this stuff when my kids get older??? You have squelched out a lot of hope!!! ;) (at least I could laugh with you ... we had a similar evening - it was a great devotional)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahahah, totally laughed out loud reading this!!! :) I was able to go to the Devotional with a friend of mine and it was wonderful! But it sounds like yours was a lot better! ;) Family makes it 1000x better!

    clothedmuch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least everyone was awake at your house. My son was AWOL, my daughter sick, sleeping in the other room and I got to listen to the Devotional with the sounds of my snoring husband one of the Elders in the background! Reminds me of general conference adventures....

    ReplyDelete
  7. We watched it for our Family Home Evening on Monday night...loved everything but Pres. Eyring makes me want to hit the snooze button ( not his message, his delivery ! )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the devotional! We watch it every year so the kids are used to it. I loved the talks and thought the music was beautiful. But last year we went to a friend's house to watch it with them and they complained the entire time that they had to watch it because we were there, and if we hadn't come they wouldn't have to be watching it. And no that wasn't the kids complaining--it was the mother!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this was a fun post, Momza. :-)

    adventures in family-ing?

    thanks for sharing

    ..
    .ero

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!