Thursday, December 10, 2009

All Scrubbed Up and Nowhere to Go

I went to bed last night,
with the feeling that
I would be getting a call.
Since Dani's birth last Wednesday,
and getting caught up on some sleep
and laundry
I was ready.

The call came at 3:14am
this morning.
I showered and put my scrubs on--
which let me just say
that I could wear my scrubs
every day for the rest of eternity,
no kidding.
They should not be called
"scrubs"
but
"comfies"
because.

So I went out to the BMW
and hoped it would start in
sub-below temperatures
and punched in the address
on my GPS
to send me in the right direction.

Well my GPS took me
on the scenic route...
seriously, I had to drive with my
brights on
in case wildlife poked out
on the snow-covered 2-lane backroad
I was driving.

I knew the area I was going to
and would've never taken
the way this GPS was guiding me,
but,
you know,
it's 4 am at this time
and that little GPS voice
is coaching me along
and I decided to trust it.

It took me nearly 45 minutes
to get to the Mama's house,
where had I gone the way
I know,
it would've taken 20.

Mama A.'s dilated to 5cm
but isn't sure she wants a homebirth
this go-around with child number 5.
Their family just moved into this house,
they just adopted a toddler,
and
she homeschools
-- she is plum.wore.out.

I let the Midwife visit with Mama A.
privately.
Having a natural birth is as much
emotional as it is physical.
If Mama thinks she can
she can.
If Mama is too tired to think
then she needs other options.

While Mama A. is contemplating
her options,
I help pick up the house--
a little sweeping
a few dishes
fold some blankets
straighten couch cushions...
just to keep me busy
and awake.

Emily arrives--
I love it when she arrives to the births.
She has a great energy
and we balance each other really well.
Of course, I had to share Dani's birth,
and how wonderful that experience was
for me, for her, for mankind as I know it!

Mama A.'s mother-in-law arrives,
and Mama A.'s hubby relates that
Mama A.'s feeling like she'd rather
go to the hospital and have a medicated birth
than a home birth.
We all sympathize with her.
The Midwife checks her once more--
6cm dilated and stretchy.
She could do this very quickly
if she wanted.
But she's in bed
and she's tired and doesn't feel she can.

So we smile, hug and wish her well
as Emily and I pack up
hug the Midwife goodbye--
she'll be going with her to the hospital,
and drive home in our unused scrubs.

I'm home before the kids even
have to get up for school.
I greet the Boofus who slogs outta the bathroom
with sleepy eyes and bedhead--
"are you leaving for a birth Mom?", he asks.
"No, Scooter, just coming home from one."

Only I didn't have a birth this morning--
I would've loved to have been a part of a birth
today,
but that wasn't my choice.
And this stuff happens once in awhile.
Not often,
I've certainly never had this--
but as the Midwife says,
We're so lucky we have choices in our country.

I glance at the clock,
it's 7:45am
Mama A. should be about ready to push
by now--
which means a new little baby girl
is about to take her first Colorado breath
this frosty December morning,
where it is just two degrees.

And I'm lounging around in my scrubs
with nowhere to go.

6 comments:

  1. Dawn,

    I love hearing your birthing experiences.
    So, you don't attend hospital births any more? Like you did here? Just curious.
    Have a wonderful day, enjoy the "no where to go" it won't last long ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My good friend down the street had all of her children at home. I used to think she was crazy, even though I had all of mine natural.

    These days I'm thinking I should have just stayed home. Then I wouldn't have had to get the IV I didn't want or need.

    However, it's true that the hospital gave me a little rest. They used to always tell me I could have the baby in my room...but on the last two I had the nursery watch the baby in between nursings so I could catch up on my sleep!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sara: Actually, I am just beginning to do hospital births again. I prefer home births b/c they're usually faster and easier. But I'll go where the Mama needs to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Momza,
    You are such a wonderful woman ! Thanks for sharing your Birth adventures and feeling with us ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think today is a great day to have a baby. I did it 22 years ago. Can't believe it has been that long. I am sorry you missed out on this birth, though. It has been fun to read about all your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! It's so fun to share the 'other side of the story'. I'm with you, I think they should be called comfies as well. I love a job where I get to where my PJ's to work! So much fun to come around for a visit!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!