Thursday, January 28, 2010

Ashes to Ashes



So I'm thinking about Death.
N' what I'm thinkin about is not the "dying" part
but the actual
burial part...
It seems there's something to say about it
and everyone has an opinion on it;
so I'm tossing my hat into the ring of discussion
and seeing what bites back.

I am not one who enjoys graveyards--
I have only been to them for specific causes,
namely someone being buried there,
just a few times in my life,
and once to dedicate the graves of Kent's family members.

After that,
I just don't see the point.
But then,
noone close to me has died,
so maybe I'll feel different
once that happens.
I don't know.
But seriously,
I can't see myself going to visit a grave
of a loved one.
And I certainly don't want my family to spend money on a
huge wooden box
and a plot of earth.
I'd rather them spend that money on
something that celebrates my life--
like a huge Pie Party and foot massages!

To me,
once the spirit leaves the body,
the spirit is free to go wherever
it wants...
while the body is in the ground
in a hometown graveyard,
the spirit can go to, say,
Italy
or
Holland
or
on a Disney cruise
if they want...
and not have to pay for extra baggage.


I want to be cremated
and have my ashes spread over a little place
our family loves
in Garden of the Gods.
When I told my kids of this plan
years ago,
one of them said they liked the idea of
having a place to go to
to "visit" with me...like a cemetery.
I told them
that most likely
I'd be hanging out in their kitchen
and they could just "visit" with me
right there.
They don't have to put on shoes
or grab a jacket, even.
Just stand at the sink and do dishes,
cut up an apple,
fry an egg,
mop the floor--
I'd just hang out and listen to them
right there.

I might hang out in the bathroom
while they wash their kids' hair
or
come visit them
while they're doing laundry
or paying bills.
I'll probably sit next to them
at Church on Sundays,
and talk to their babies.

Maybe I'll sit in the car
with them
while they're on the way to the Temple
and we'll go in
together...
or I'll just wait inside for them
in the Celestial room..
then put my arms around their necks,
and whisper in their ears how much I love them.

No, they don't need to go to a patch of earth
to feel me
or hear me...
I'm their Mother,
I'll come to them.

Where else would I go?

13 comments:

  1. My husband says he wants to be buried in a waterproof box and dropped to the bottom of the swimming pool where it will be nice and cool. Crazy. My friends cremated their deceased son and spread his ashes over their favorite camp ground and each year they go and camp there. Personally I don't have any strong feelings about burial.

    But what I do think is totally stupid and have threatened to haunt my family if they do this to me--are viewings. Ick!! I don't want everyone to come and stare at my dead body especially when I had no say in my hair style or makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Joy: The swimming pool? That's funny! I agree with the "veiwing" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No viewing for me! No way!!

    And I do like your take on this, Momza...

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah ... I have been through the process of picking out a casket several times. It is SO expensive and such a waste of money. I think a final viewing can be very cathartic, but I'm a cheapskate in life, cremate me. too.

    This post made me cry ... I so hope my loved ones hang out with me ... I should talk to them more, I think. And do the dishes more, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly for myself...an 2XL sized Ziploc baggy is fine...I don't need anything else...and I'll be nice and fresh for the afterlife.

    As for my Dad...he wants to make sure my mother never marries and asked to be put in a giant bottle of formaldehyde in her living room...naked. Yup...that should stop anyone from wanting to date her....they'll question her sanity for even marrying him!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The last part is beautiful---I feel the same way, and I often feel my mom around me. I think cremation is the way to go. I think it's nice to have a headstone somewhere though. IDK...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always felt that after I die, my body is no longer contains the essence of me and the memories are more important. I want to donate my body to science as a last thank you to my husband's profession, but I would have to die 2nd because hubby is not too keen on the idea. I've asked him if we could just buy our plots now, but he wants to be buried by his parents, who are procrastinating buying their lots.

    I've always hoped I get to watch over my children after I die.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Sue, Mrs. B., Tammy, Moody, and Charlotte:
    Isn't it interesting we all have thought about this stuff, but maybe because it's kinda morbid, we don't sit around and talk about it openly? "cept in my house--we talk about our funerals more often than weddings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I have any huge opinions about the way I want things to be. But I do love the idea of staying close to my children and loving them from close by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully written, Momza. For my part, I've always wanted to be cremated. Seriously. And unless my husband goes first, I'm pretty sure my wish will NOT be respected. He's a little stuffy when it comes to such ideas!

    Chieko Okazaki talks about the Savior in these same terms. Take Him with you as you do your life. He's fine in the kitchen, in the car, at the soccer game. He just wants to be in on your life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @DeNae: You know, that's probably where I got that idea of hanging out with my kids. Thinking of the Savior's place in my life. He shows up everywhere for me. And I guess because I'm trying to be like Him, I see myself doing that for my kids. Totally makes sense. I don't know if I could be happy doing anything else. Especially since I won't have to do dishes or laundry or carpools in heaven...unless I didn't get the memo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting concept Momza, here's my take... I really need and enjoy a dedicated spot to care for my earthly body that has taken me from the trauma of birth to the joy of giving birth (and the associated weight gain), to the ups and downs that come with the raising of said children, and the body that allowed me to rub my beloveds feet and feel a gentle kiss on the cheek of a grandchild. To me, I want to honor that vessel with a true resting place and that is why I will choose that plot of land and that wooden box. Yes, my spirit will be with those that I love but until the resurrection I want the workhorse vessel of my body to enjoy a little down time, I am sure by then it will need it.
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. @RBS: well when u put it like that, makes me realize there are good reasons for going that route. Heaven knows, I am plum.wore.out.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!