Monday, January 18, 2010

Being Willing = Being Blessed



Earlier this week, a member of our Bishopric called.
Said he wanted to meet with me
a little before Church Sunday.
Was I willing to meet with him? he asked.
My first question was,
"Am I being released?"
Released in the LDS faith means that whatever calling (job)
you currently serve in (for free)
you are no longer going to be asked to serve in.
I had two callings (jobs) already:
Stake Singles Representative
and
Relief Society (women's auxillary) Birthday Girl!--I pass out candy to the women whose bdays are that week.  A very undemanding calling.
Well, it wasn't to be released from either of those,
but to extend another calling to me.
I asked if he couldn't just tell me over the phone
and save us both time.
Nope, he said.  Which would've been HIGHLY unusual if he did.
He did say, "Oh this is a great calling though."

Great calling?
Is there such a one?
My fav calling has been serving in the Temple--
no meetings, no budget, no personalities.
We did that for 2 years in Denver and loved LOVED it!
But that's not a calling extended by a member of your Bishopric...
so left alone with my thoughts,
I pondered what would be a "GREAT CALLING"
in the ward?

Hmmmm...
I've done nearly everything a woman can do in the Church--
Primary...check
YW...check
Library...check
Scouts....check
Missionary...check
Sunday School...check
Relief Society...check check check.
Any of them great?  YES.
Any of them I would want to do again?  Yes.
Some I wouldn't?  Oh yeah.
Any I would decline?  No.
I would accept whatever was asked of me.

So we went a little early
and waited to meet with Bro. M.
As he extends the call to me to be
the Activity Girls' Assistant,
working with my own 8 year old and
41 other young girls ages 8-11,
I smiled.
I've had this one before too
and I enjoyed it.
It's been 10 years ago tho, so it'll be fun.
The Caboose will be thrilled, I thought.

So Bro M. presents my name for sustaining
and noone else apparently wanted the calling,
because the vote was unanimously YES.
Whew!
I'm just kidding. It was yes, but I have no idea if anyone would've opposed it.

SOOO are ya still with me?  There is a point to this, I promise!

Sooo, I'm sitting in Sacrament
thinking about this calling
wondering "why me? why now?"--
not in a sad way,
but in a reflective way--
And then a feeling comes over me with the thought:
This new calling will result in a tangible blessing for my family.
And the details are there,
but I am not ready to share them yet.
But I will when it's time.

I find it interesting that when I am willing to serve
where I am needed,
Heavenly Father sends me opportunities
I would not have otherwise.

5 comments:

  1. Activity Days girls is my DIL's favorite calling she's ever had. Congrats!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great calling! In our ward we only have 6 girls that are 8-11 (well my little Nat is only 7, but they let her participate anyway because she'd be the only girl left out) so I'm impressed that you have 41!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I had that calling a couple of years ago and must confess to having a love/hate relationship with it. Loved the girls, hated it when the moms wanted to stay...very distracting. (Also didn't appreciate the way some, not all, of the girls went bonzo gazooey sometimes in my house.)
    Because I did it in my home I would get a little irritated when whoever was picking the girls up were late, usually up to 45 minutes. I did love doing the projects and crafts with them. You're going to be great. Forty girls? Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is a super fun calling. You will be rather busy though, with it on top of your others. At least you shouldn't be bored. :-)I am eager to hear what the blessing is--although I am sure many blessings will come into your life due to your willingness to serve.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!