Monday, January 18, 2010

Spring Cleaning Ninja-Style



I love to purge.
The less "stuff " I am responsible for, the bettah.

We've been in this house for two years.
There are boxes that haven't been touched
in those 2 years...
until this week.

I made a list.
I'm checkin it twice,
those boxes are on it.

Heads will roll,
toys will fly...
the Garage--my evil nemesis-thorn-in-my-side-dark-hole-of-misfit-toys-and-unwanted-
unused-thingamabobs
WILL BE CLEANED OUT.

My Ninja-skills will be exercised this week
as I clean/ pack/ haul the unwanted items
to Goodwill--
and I dare anyone in this house
to even name a single thing I've removed.
Dare them.
Mr W will notice the new "space"--
but he won't be able to name a thing that's gone.
I always tell him:
"Tell me what's missing, and I'll buy you a new one."
It's been like this for 11 years now.
Same thing for the kids...
Name it, and I'll replace it.

I love clean spaces.
Empty spaces.
I don't like stuff covering every flat surface
or every open wall space.

I used to let the kids go thru their stuff with me.
Big Mistake.
Don't do that.
It'll take you twice as long
and the results won't be nearly as satisfying!
"What?", they say, "we can't get rid of that! I loved that 2 years ago!"
Shoot me now.

No, purging is good for a closet
a drawer
a toy box
and book shelf.
It's good for a basement and a garage too.
Most of all,
it's good for this Ninja-Momza.

12 comments:

  1. There is something so liberating about taking control of out of control junk (or treasures to some). I always feel like I am in charge after purging 'stuff', you go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so like me. It just takes so much energy to get it done. . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am so not showing my husband this post!! He has been begging me for years to clean out all my seminary stuff that is now spread out of the closets, across the floor . . . One of these days . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound like my husband...the biggest purger on the planet! (I have to watch him like a hawk...)

    heehee

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha. Again, another validation of why I like you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you are so brave!
    I too would love to purge....but my wonderful hubby would be so upset by the "space" even if he couldn't name one thing that was missing.
    But it is so tempting. Hmmm. I'm going to have to start something with my kids though....I can't let them become hoarders of all things junk.
    I want to be a ninja too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go Ninja ... purge purge purge - it feels soooo good (from a recent covert to purge-styled housekeeping)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Space for new stuff! Good for you. A good clean-out is like a good cry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I was as ninja like in purging as you. I like it when it's clean, but it's the getting there that's hard. I guess that comes with the territory of being outnumbered by little people. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay this makes it sound so fun to do! I have been purging the "clothing" items as I've done my laundry for the last little while, and right before Christmas I gave DI like 5 huge garbage bags, and a huge pile of books, and I now have two more big bags full, and I'm getting on board to get rid of STUFF!! I don't like picking it up, and cleaning around it. My bookcase that keeps falling apart is outta here....goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, if you could see our garage! But my bedroom must be done first. Maybe I'll join you for a weekend purge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are an inspiration! Just reading your blog makes me want to overhaul the toy room while the kids are staring at Kipper the Dog on the TV. Yes, I think I will!

    I feel as though you've given me permission. And I love the part "Tell me what's missing and I'll buy you a new one." The only tricky thing I find is when I get rid of several similar things and one goes unnoticed. Then they say, "Hey, where's the rest of fill-in-the-blank?"

    Yesterday we had a birthday party. Every time new toys come into the house, the same amount of toys MUST LEAVE. if not more. hehe

    You are cool.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!