Thursday, January 28, 2010

Red Balloon Moment




Have you ever had an experience
that was so unique,
yet so odd
that you wondered if it was
meant just for your eyes?

One morning, last winter
I was driving the youngest yahoos
to school.
It had snowed the night before
and the roads were covered with
fresh-fallen fluffy white snow.

But I was cranky that morning
with Mr Wonderful.
I can't even remember what I was
cranky about,
but I was grumpy and careless about my words,
and tho
I try to never
speak poorly about Mr W to the kids,
that morning
I forgot
and was venting.


I was in the middle of my "rant"
when
suddenly
outta nowhere
a red helium balloon
floated down from the sky
and drifted
right
smack
dab
in front
of my
car
and
stopped.

The stark red balloon
contrasting
against the
fresh white snow
had my full attention.
I  brought the car to a complete halt
with that red balloon
dangling in front of us...
just inches from my bumper,
and I knew.


Then,
a gentle wind
stirred up
and carried that
balloon back up
into the sky
and over the houses
out of sight.

The hymn, "Yay Speak No Ill"
came into mind.

I continued on our daily trip to school,
and just before the kids got out of the car,
I apologized.

It was months later before
I embarassingly told my Mr W
about it...
he smiled and said
"at least it wasn't a hammer!"




Have you ever had an experience like that?

4 comments:

  1. Great post !
    My red ballon experiences always come in the form of people in my life calling my bluff when I'm crabby, grumpy,judgemental or unkind in my words or actions.

    That really does feel like a giant hammer smashing me like a bug...I cry, I pray and then I ask forgiveness and make amends...lucky I have people who love me in spite of my flaws and forgive freely !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say that I have...not symbolic, like that. Or at least, I don't think so. But I WISH I had. It sounds pretty powerful!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I've never had a moment like that. I kind of wish I had, but like Mr W said, I would probably get hammers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an experience! I have been racking my brain and can't think of anything I have ever had that is similar. Your husband's comment sure made me laugh. He sounds like a man with a great sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!