Thursday, January 14, 2010

Getting to Know Me


Born 1960's...Oldest of 5 kids. Only daughter.
I loved Grape Nehi's and maryjane candies.
Roller skating, hopscotch, Barbies (which were a new toy back then),
and music was my thing.
Shy as could possibly be.
I remember that dress...my Mom's brother bought it for me,
it was the same color as my eyes, my mom said.

This was First Grade.
I used to squint my eyes in the mirror
and wonder what I would look like
all grown up
in the sixth grade.

Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie,
Romper Room were favorites.
We got 3 TV channels.
Three.
I had Mrs. McGreavy for a teacher.
A gray-haired screaming mimi that scared me to death.

When I played Barbies with my Cuban neighbor friend,
Sonya,
I used to name my Barbie, "Sylvia" because it sounded like
Silver...and I liked shiny things.

My mom used to fix my hair like that all the time.
Looked like a waterfall poouring down my head.
And that was before the days of curling irons.
So my hair was naturally curly,
altho I do recall my mom used to dampen it
so she could shape it a little with her fingers.

I thought my mom was beautiful.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful eyes, and what fun hair! It's fun to learn a little more about you. I can't remember what I always named my Barbies... it was always the same thing though. It'll come to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How adorable were you?

    I thought my mum was beautiful too when I was little. I still think she's beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the hair! And can relate to many of the interests as well.

    =)

    PS. Adding to the general chorus, I thought my mom was beautiful, too. She also smelled good! (Arpege. I'd probably hate it now.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty hair color. You can't get that from a bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that was so sweet! And I remember Romper Room. Didn't the lady have a mirror that she would show to everyone so they could see themselves and then hold it up so the person looking could "see" themselves as well? Ahh, been a few days since then. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Joy: Yes she did! My cousin convinced me that the lady could see into TV land, and if I sat close enough to the TV, she might see me! SO I sat as close to it as I could, waving my hands and saying "HI!" a thousand times...once she even said, "I see Dawn." I went hysterical! lol
    I made my younger brothers sit in front of the TV every day for weeks to get her to say their names too!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!