Friday, March 12, 2010

Can someone explain?

thumb rings:  Why?  

ear gages?  what is the GOAL here?  How big a hole are we trying to make in our ears?  and then what?  hang a canary inside?  Will you then wear a rainslicker to protect your clothing?  Who will scrub the bird poop off you at the end of the day?  What happens to the canary at bedtime? OR is the goal to be able to hook up a Bose speaker on each ear for the ultimate surround-sound?  Maybe a satellite dish?

toe rings:  hunh? everywhere I look, I see these tiny little peices of cheap silver on women's toes and I don't get it? Is this to attract strange men who have feet fetishes? eww.

"With rings on her fingers and bells on her toes
that's the way the story goes!"

Tattoos:  When I was a child, we'd get in trouble if we took markers to our selves.
Now, it's like coloring for adults.  Only alot more expensive.  And why do people lie to other people about their tattoos?  "Oh that's so nice." they say, when really, it just looks messy and the exact opposite of nice.  Is it because it's permanent and noone wants to hurt the tattoo owner's feelings?  "YOU GOT THAT? OH THAT'S AWFUL! SUCKS TO BE YOU FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE."
I have thought about getting my own tattoo tho, in light of my memory problems:
If Found, Please Return to Mr. Wonderful 555-1000.   Just right on the back of my palm, with a little ladybug. yeah? be honest. Nah, I'm joshin' you.  I can just take a sharpie and do that myself. 

Nose rings:  eww.  I've never seen one and thought, "Well, that one makes her look so smart/fashionable/ hip/fun/fill-in-the-blank."  Nope, just looks like a shiny thing hanging from their nose. Like a bullring.
Inquiring minds wanna know these things.  And what about cold season?? How does one blow their nose with a pointy thing stuck in it?  And don't even get me thinking about all the, ya know, snot all over it. {shudder}

Tongue rings aka Thung wings:  Ith it juth me or do thees peeupuwl thound like they hab a wathermelon-tholly-wanther in their mowffs?

Multiple piercings on face, including lips, eyebrows, ears:  Someone needs a hobby.  That's what I think when I see these people at the Mall foodcourt.  I used to wonder where they worked, besides Spencers and Hot Topic--you don't see them at the checkouts in Target, or at the Bank...but now I know...they are telephone operators.  I know this because I used to be a 555-1212 operator in Phoenix...and all the freakishly weird people work there.  Where noone can see them.  But, I do confess that when I have spoken to such a pierced person, I can't take my eyes off their "accessories"---and I forget to listen to what they're saying or look in their eyes.  Just too much going on all over their face--it's a distraction.
My thoughts go zippin' around:" I wonder if it hurt to stick a needle in their lip?
Do they know it's swollen and makes their lip/eyebrow/ nose/ear look kinda elephant-man-ish?" My eyes water just thinking about it.


Where are these people's friends when they need them?
Why aren't their friends being honest enough to say, "Nope. That's stupid. What else ya got?"

When my kids and I are out and about and see these decorated people, we all say, "He must not have any friends."  or "She has no friends."  Because real friends, would talk you outta doin stupid things.  Like poking and pinching and coloring all over your body.  Ya know, the things we learned in kindergarten, like not eating paste, or coloring on your neighbor.  Were so many kids absent that day or what?

I do have to say that the older these people get, it's going to be interesting and perhaps even entertaining to see how their looks change with the permanent damage they've done to their bodies.
Barnum and Bailey will have alot to choose from...maybe they're the ones behind these trends??  Can someone find out and get back to me?  Thanks.

It used to be that kids were getting these things to "express their individuality".
But like all the busty blondes in Utah, I think they go to tattoo/piercing shops in groups and say, "I'll have what she's having."-- so they can get a group discount.

Can someone explain this? 
Okay, I'm done.  I just wanted to put this out in the Universe and see if I'm the only one who wonders these things--so, do ya?
If not, what's something YOU wonder about??
C'mon, Inquiring minds wanna know.


"life is hard. 
it's even harder 
when you're stupid."
~John Wayne

13 comments:

  1. Momza, I'm an ER nurse and I wonder the same dang thang! What the helloooo?
    Sheesh.
    In the ER we call it the T to T ratio. The more the tatoos, the fewer the teeth.
    Try coming after one of those pierced up knotheads with a syringe and they cry like babies.
    I don't get it either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts exactly! I shudder at the things I see people do to their bodies. Those gates are really sick and I honestly cannot look at someone who has those - it literally makes me queasy to look at! Blah!
    I totally agree about when they age too. In fact, I saw a women at the store the other day. A mom about 32 with several little kids. You could tell that she used to have piercings all over but had taken them out, now her face, ears, nose just had empty holes...ick. I am sure she regrets it.
    All those tattooed, "sleeve" (you've seen the tattoo sleeves?) wearing people are
    are surely going to look gross as they age.
    I'm with you...Why people? Why?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work at a high school and see it everyday. All the kids just want to impress one another. Saggy flesh will be even worse to look at in 50 years than it is now!! I just had a mom in yesterday who had just gotten the tattoo "sleeve" on her arm. I was explaining to her that her son was hungry every day and needed something more substantial to eat so he would make it through the day. Then she began telling me how they didn't have money for food. Some people shouldn't reproduce if they cannot be "parents"!

    Arizona mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto momza, I even have issues with pierced ears! That makes me truly popular with anyone that decides defacing their body is the THING to do. I will go so far as to say that those people that pierce a tiny child's ears have in my mind committed child abuse! Talk about taking away free agency!

    As you can see, I can really get a conversation going if I start spouting my opinions.
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, the huge ear holes (wear you could stick your finger through it) makes me shudder every time. So weird. You've gotta wonder why that EVER seems like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed out loud reading this one. It's all pretty crazy. And definitely NOT attractive.

    I wonder if things will ever swing back the other way as they are wont to do...in other words, if people will express their individuality by doing NOTHING intrusive to the body. Just letting it be the beautiful gift from God that it is.

    I'm not holding my breath, but a girl can always hope...

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you on all that Momza...most of it can be so addictive too...somehow they all think, "Oh, just one more is so much cooler" Regrets multiply as they all age too. You won't find any of that stuff on this girl...what God blessed me with is good enough !!!

    BTW, that quote by John Wayne is one one of my favs...he never minced words and it applies here for sure !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh gosh you made me laugh with the visual of the canary. At least piercings you can take out and end up with a scar, but a huge hole in your ear? Gag! I hate nose piercings. I agree, that's just gross to think about, and I think lip, etc piercings just look tacky. Tongue piercing? Seriously? The last thing I want is for someone to spear my tongue with something sharp! And the tats...so popular now...so regretted later!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Busty blondes in Utah?! I got a kick out of that. You must have been to my younger sister's ward).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like to sport a toe ring from time to time in the summer with a cute sandal and freshly pedicured toes. And if my dh didn't so vehemently object, I'd get ONE small tattoo. But the rest? I'm with ya.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Most of it I have no issue with. I don't wear any jewelry so none of it is for me- but if it means somethin to others, I have no issue with it.

    However. I draw the line at the ear gage. I really get eeked out by them. Maybe that is their purpose?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find more discust with attitudes and judgement then a persons choice of jewelry or art. I've never met or gotten to know a someone who's intellegence is in anyway effected by their tattoo or nose ring. All in all I guess when we spend time wondering why someone has done something we don't understand or agree with its easy to assume they are weird. Of all the things I've put my body through that I have very much regretted, my tattoo is the least of my worries.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Sadie: Thanks for your perspective. I'd never want to disgust you. I do think we choose how to present ourselves to the world by what we wear, how we style our hair, etc., and it DOES say alot about our intelligence and our priorities-- What's important to us. And yes, we have all had lapses of good judgement--Mr W has a tattoo--he got it when he was totally inactive in the Church, drunk and visiting Amsterdam. He will tell you it wasn't the best decision he ever made, tho it was a good idea at the time.And yes, he got it with another guy he worked with at the time, who didn't try to talk him out of it. lol What is it? A woman's eyeball--long lashes and all on his right shoulder. Immature at the time.
    Having a tattoo can be seen as rebellious. Which, talking to many LDS kids who have them, it seems to be the motivation of those who want to shock their parents and push away from the Church.
    Having said that, I was in the Salt Lake Temple some years ago, and saw a young gal in there preparing to receive her own endowments...and she was covered in tattoos, and had many empty holes on her nose and ears from piercings...obvious, it seemed to me, those markings were from another time in her past, and she was now ready to take her place in Heavenly Father's kingdom...in the temple. It was a sweet experience to be there with her.
    Thanks for your comment, Sadie.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!