Monday, March 29, 2010

Changes and Refining & Church

Yesterday was an exciting day.
first we only had two meetings at Church
because we had a Stake Reorganization meeting later
in the day...
the kids were delighted at the shorter meeting.
So was Mr W.  (lol)

I have to say though,
our Sacrament meeting was awesome!
We had just two speakers--
one newly-called young missionary B., (to Mexico)
and a young man, A. who just returned from his mission to Italy.

There was such a contrast between the two,
it stayed with me all day, really.
B. spoke first--
he is not a very eloquent, out-going young man,
but rather soft-spoken, shy.
Just a really good kid.

He said he'd written his talk earlier
but felt impressed to ditch his notes
and speak simply on the Atonement of Jesus Christ
and his testimony on that.
B. was earnest
and at times emotional
raw
the one thing he said that still rings in my ears
was this:
If, when we repent of our sins
and the Savior remembers them
no more
why should we?
We remember them to protect ourselves
from repeating mistakes,
but that we shouldn't be weighed down
with the guilt anymore.

I really soaked that in...

When B. sat down,
he looked relieved, a bit frazzled even
from the experience.
I was too.  I'd been sorta clinched up
listening to B.--
silently praying for him to be able to express
the desires of his heart
in a way that would bless him
and the rest of us.


Then A. presented at the podium.
I remember A. when he was just a squirrelly kid
running with the other scouts around the Church building
years ago...
I hadn't seen him in 5 years since we moved,
he graduated high school
and left for his mission to Italy.

When he stood up,
he was composed
and focused.
He spoke with humility.
His fingers poured over his scriptures
with ease and exactness.
His message was beautiful.
He spoke of Christ
like one who knows Christ.


The longer I listened to A.
the more calm and peaceful
I became.
He spoke of the Symbols of Easter:
-the rolling stone
-the linens that wrapped the Savior in the tomb--
specifically the napkin that covered His head;
how it was not cast aside and lay in a heap
but found to be carefully folded.
A sign that in those times,
meant
"I will return."
And His disciples understood that symbol.
-the lamb
-and two other things that escape me right now.
A. brought it all together in an offering
that encourages God's children
to have Hope in this Life
for a grander purpose in the eternal life to come.
just beautiful.

As I sat observing these two young men
this is what stuck out:
Here is B.--
a willing, worthy and prepared servant
much like an unpolished instrument
ready to serve a mission.
He has no idea what lay ahead of him
for the next two years.
He has a new language to learn
a new culture that he will be immersed in
and will leave all else behind.
But he is willing to do whatever is required.
I love his example.

And there is A.--
the polished instrument.
He too, left all behind
and learned the beautiful Italian language
lived among the people
ate their food
learned their culture
and came to love and be loved of them.
A. is an example of what becomes of us
all
when we give our will to God.
When we sacrifice our own
"I wants" for others.

It occurs to me only now,
that B. could stand for "BEFORE"
and
A. for "AFTER".
wow.

It was an awesome meeting.

Then at the Stake "shake-up"
we had a great time
as ward boundaries changed,
ward names were changed,
a new ward was created
and many new callings were extended
while many us of were released.

We're in a new ward
with old friends,
a new Bishop.
No callings-which is weird.
A change in the meetinghouse we'll attend
and a new time--ouch! (instead of 11am, we'll be going at 9am)

Change is good.
It pushes us out of comfort zone
and forces us to
show our best
in the new surroundings.

The fact is,
we're in this "new" ward
about 10 years ago
before the area grew so big
that now 6 wards make up the same area.
We saw familiar faces as we all stood
together
as the newly-reorganized ward
and
I'm happy.
This is gonna be good.
We're in great company.

This is my time to be refined.
Each ward has their own "language"
and some minor "custom-changes"
and we'll be in a different meeting place--
it's all to refine us
stretch us
and grow us.
Yeah, I'm really excited that it's my turn to
be in the Hands of the Refiner....
I hope I can glow brightly
and come out polished.

16 comments:

  1. Lovely post. I love return missionaries. It was awesome seeing the changes in both of my brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your meeting, because we missed ours. We were under the impression that our only meeting was the one in the afternoon.

    Also, I'm kinda bummed that I won't run into you in the hallway anymore, if you're at a new building.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was really beautiful (as always!). It made me think of my own mission--and then the sons who are getting ready.
    I love your thoughts and your positive attitude. You will be a big blessing to your new ward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful talks and thoughts...Thank you for sharing them !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again, you have a great attitude about the boundary change. I really admire you for it, and next time, I'm going to try to emulate your spirit of adventure about it.

    As for the sacrament meeting run-down, I loved it! Especially your observation of B. and A. Before and after. So deftly done. So apt. So true.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing parts of their talks. What a wonderful gift those boys are sharing.

    I think it's cool that you're embracing the change in your ward and looking forward to it. A lot of people would be freaking out, but not you! What a great example you are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that was so beautifully written! I loved it. Our stake had boundary re-alignments about a year ago and they weren't all met with such enthusiasm for new growth.I wish I had your post then to send to all the complainers. :-) And we ended up back with people we were with a couple years ago so that has been fun.

    And I thought your observations of the missionaries were sweet and profound. Missions are such a great tool to build young men!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being refined. That's a great way to look at a newly created ward. Our ward dissolved a few years ago. It was shocking at the time but it has been a great blessing to the people in our area.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Listening to missionaries coming or going is always a favorite of mine! It is amazing to see the changes as they come back more confident and mature. Hmmm . . . yes . . . just LOVE those missionaries :)

    Sounds like ward - high adventure times:)

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love seeing old and new missionaries together.

    Welcome to 9am and sitting in the back. We will try to keep it down for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I love the B.efore and A.fter. I love seeing new missionaries who are on their way out and what a change comes over them when they return. It is an amazing process and an amazing thing to see.
    I love how you likened it to each of us because it is true. We are on this earth for the same reasons and hopefully we learn, we grow, we come to know our Savior and we are refined.

    I love Stake shake-ups - When we first moved into our house we had them all the time because our area was growing but we have not had one in awhile - I kinda wish we would :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this post! We had a major change also this last Sunday. You'll find out on my blog on the 31st......heehee. Not tellin'

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just read your post over at MMB, I loved it.
    Thank you for sharing such an awesome part of you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Garden: Thank you so much. We're all here to learn...I'm hoping He grades on a curve. lol
    @Marilyn: Can't wait to hear your news!
    @Cherie: Thx for sharing your experience. We learn so much in this world don't we?
    @Linda: Thx! We always sit on the 2nd row...so we're going to have to get to our new ward extra early this week.
    @Kristin: Missionaries rock my world!
    @Lisa: Isn't that always the same story? We need to grow, right? ;-)
    @Joy: Men are that they might have J O Y right?
    @Moody: I am way excited to see what lay ahead for us all!
    @Sue & Nonna: Thx so much for your very kind comments!
    @Braden: These young men teach us alot about courage and faith in action. Love. it!
    @heather: we'll be back in the Lexington bldg once the Falcon bldg is complete.
    @MommyJ: We do learn so much from our youth, don't we? Thx for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So lovely ... I am juggling four small children on Sundays - so I don't get too much out of it ... I now feel like I got some church this week! What a great meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the change you can see from when our young men leave and when they come home. I'm glad you're reorganization went well. Enjoy your callingless status for the moment!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!