Friday, April 30, 2010

Pillow Shams



The Caboose's teacher asked if
I'd sew some pillowshams
for a reading circle in the classroom.
She got the pillowforms at JoAnn's (on sale)
and set me loose
to make the shams.

She wanted them bright and happy
and durable
for the classroom.
I had the floral watercolor fabric leftover
from a window valance I made for the Caboose's bedroom,

and then I found the bright green corduroy
at JoAnn's on sale for a whopping $2.19...total.

Now here's something I did that make it super easy:
I cut the fabric
Once.
I laid it out and cut it the width I wanted,
then,
instead of cutting 4 peices,
I just folded it to a square
(wishing I had taken pictures now!)
and sewed around all four sides--
to make it look like 4 peices.
Because it's a sham,
I could do that
because there's still an opening in the center of the
fabric.
Did that make sense?

Anyway, it took me alot less time
than I thought it would
about an hour and a half
to make all four.

The teacher was happy. And the Caboose says she thinks of me whenever she looks at them or sits on them at school. That makes it totally worth it to me!

This blog is linked to Tidy Mom's I'm Lovin' It Friday

13 comments:

  1. I use that technique, too. Don't know what it's called - kind of like an envelope. I love it because it makes washing the cover and popping it back on so easy. These are sure cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! these turned out beautiful too!

    Thanks for linking up to I'm Lovin' It!! Have a GREAT weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are cute, and the best part is knowing that it makes your daughter think of you while she's at school. I love that!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look great...i bet they will be loved lots

    ReplyDelete
  5. how great! your daughter must feel really proud that her mama made these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just so springy and cheerful! No wonder the teacher was happy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice, you are good to do it for the school!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Clever Lady! Love your shams.

    Thanks for visiting with me. Your comments are always appreciated!;-)

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! For an end of the year gift, you could give her more shams in seasonal shades. I wish I knew how to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty shams...I have a lot of scraps I should be sewing into something nice...I'm working on a tote bag made out of an old pair of jeans right now. I love to repurpose and remake things into something useful and attractive !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really pretty pillow cases with gorgeous fabrics. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!