Saturday, May 1, 2010

Unemployment to Employed to Employing

IN order to give this post substance,
here's a little background:

In 2006, our family moved to Idaho
with a new job.
We knew we were supposed to move to Idaho
three years before we got the opportunity,
so when the job offer came,
there was no question that we would GO!

Exactly, one year later
we found ourselves unemployed...
along with thousands of others in the
Treasure Valley.
At first I thought it was going to be a
leisurely summer
having Mr. Wonderful home
and didn't sweat the unemployment.

I figured we'd have a few weeks together
and he'd be re-hired before we knew it.

I was wrong.

Summer flew by,
no job.
School started,
no job.
A son's wedding was planned
for December,
"Surely", I thought,
"We'll have a job by Christmas!"--
no. no we didn't.

I set these mental notes--
"by Valentines. By April fools.
By the time our daughter came home from
her mission, in April. By Summer Break."
No. No. No. No.

I would be lying if I said it wasn't difficult.
That I didn't cry in despair...
that I wondered how this was all gonna work out.

Trials come and go,
this is true.
We all know this,
but if you think about it,
what we really wanna know
about our trials
is this:
How bad is it gonna hurt?
right?

Well our Idaho Experience cost us alot,
but we didn't leave empty-handed.
It required all of our savings--
we're so grateful we had it!
But we came away from Idaho with
two new family members...
a daughter-in-love
and a son-in-love.


After a year of sending off resumes
filling out applications,
working part-time,
we knew something had to change.
It was time to go.
When we made the decision to cut our losses
and come back home to Colorado,
the future was up in the air.

We came back home
with heavy hearts.
We'd been through alot since we'd been gone
for two years.
We hoped we'd never forget what we learned
as a family
and as individuals
from our Idaho Experience,
but also,
that we'd recover from our losses.

It sanctified us and we wanted to keep it that way.

It's been almost two years
since we've been home.
Mr. W got a job 3 days after he came looking for one
in Denver.
He just got a promotion.
And guess what he does now?
One of his responsibilities is to
Interview and Hire
new Employees.

Every week
he comes home with a story
or two
about persons he's hired...

One man showed up for temp work
and another man just showed up
unexpected and unannounced,
with him--
Mr. W let them both work that day.

The second man wasn't qualified to
continue to work the next day
and that made us both sad.

But Mr. W knew that look in the man's eyes...
and did what he could--
and his eyes teared up telling me about it.
I was a bit choked up too.

Yesterday,
two women (sisters) came in for interviews--
both are Russian immigrants.
Mr. W told HR to hire them both.
When the younger sister was offerred the job,
she started crying.

Tears are in my own eyes as I write this.
I know that feeling.
We've been there.

Times are hard.
Good people with good hearts
and true work ethics
are unemployed
and day after day
they wonder what's going to happen to them.


We have to be kind
to look beyond our own noses--
beyond the edge of our own sidewalks
and agendas.
A little kindness goes so far.


There are angels in Boise.
They lifted me up
and buoyed my family
when we need the help.
Our faithful hometeacher,
Brother Robertson,
our Bishops--
Philips and Rodgers,
wonderful Visiting Teacher,
Sister Robertson,
and Relief Society President,
Sister Hardy...
along with our dear new friends
the Sylvesters and Frogleys
and so so many others.

Once we got home,
it was our dear friends
here that shouldered our
burdens and helped us see
that things were going to be okay.

All of these
were truly answers to our prayers.
Truly.


We just bought a new sofa set this week.(remember, the dog ate our loveseat?)
As I was paying for it at the store,
I physically felt awful--
nauseas, anxiety--
the sales gal looked at me and asked if I was okay,
I smiled
and said,
"Well, I just haven't spent this kind of money
in a long time because my husband was out of work
awhile back,
and I'm a little nervous about spending money like this."

She answered, "I know. My husband has been out of work for six months and we just don't spend money on anything we don't have to."

Instantly, I saw her in a different light.

Then, to lighten the mood, I said,
"Oh shoot. I bet you're wishing I'd gone for the leather set now, hunh?"

We both laughed.
 I kept her card. I'm writing a nice letter to her boss,
and to her just to go out of my way to thank her and recognize her help.
 Any little kindness helps, right?

Okay, now I'm just rambling.
I'm too lazy to edit this,
so if you're still here
I hope it made sense.

Be kind.  Bottom line.
Be Kind.

25 comments:

  1. What a great post to start a new month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that story. It must have been so difficult. I can't even imagine.

    I'm glad there were kind people for you.
    I'm glad you were there for the lady at the store yesterday.
    A great reminder for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Momza..
    Two years ago on March 20,2008 my world crashed..
    On the same day my Hubs was admitted to the hospital,two hours later,I lost my job.
    That nite, he nearly died.He spent the next three weeks in ICU. It was not pretty in any way.
    Fortunately, after three months in and out of ICU. Hubs is back at work with Oxygen 24/7. Our lives have changed dramatically...
    both personally and financially.
    I on the other hand, have not been able to be re employed..have had numerous interviews..but no job.
    Have been on unemployment, but that too has ended. so here I am, uninsured, savings gone, living from paycheck to paycheck, praying for a break. Never expected our golden years to be spent in this manner..
    We had planned well..but life occasionally throws some very wicked curve balls..
    Your post hit me in the gut..
    Been there,, done that..
    Now praying for a miracle to happen..
    We too are in Colorado..Denver
    Any chance your Hubs has a job for me?
    warmest hugs..
    Loui♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Loui: Please email me and we can go from there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This brings to mind the quote (I'm paraphrasing here): Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

    I like your thoughts, "How bad is it gonna hurt?" --sometimes, my life goes through phases where that is my mantra. I retract, burrow away, hide, ready for the blows of life.

    The only answer I have is that we often cannot see the end from the beginning. And through the middle parts, have to walk on air, with faith, towards the light.

    PS: Happy May! I love the start of a new month, it is energizing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great summation of life today. Thanks for a positive perspective on it all.
    Thanks for paying it forward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is quite a story. Through our connection with Boise you have given me bits and pieces but your journey was interesting.
    I'm getting chills as I think of the names you listed and that you possibly needed to be in their lives for a reason and they in yours.
    I am so glad that since you "went home" all has been on an upward slope.
    I agree...Kindness is everything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh thank you for this post. I was feeling so numb today, shut-off and PMSing. This post is just what I needed tears and all. Thank you for making me feel!

    XX, krisTTie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good post Momza !
    My Hubs was unemployed on and off for almost a year back in the '90's and at the time we had 5 kids at home and I was working full time. It was so scary and hard but we made it through and felt blessed for all our family, friends and the church for the love and encouragement they gave during that difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I hope Loui can find a job!

    But even if not, this post has to give people hope in knowing that things do get better, though you and Mr. Wonderful had to wait an awfully long time. That had to be so difficult.

    I love your compassion, Dawn. Always.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your time in Idaho did more than bless you with new family members. Your experience, your suffering, blossomed into beauty and goodness for the world. I'm sorry you had to suffer, and lose your savings, but what a lovely meaning behind it.

    I am thankful every day that my country has a welfare system that truly supports people who are struck with misfortune, so that no one has to go through what Loui and her husband are experiencing, or what you and your family also went through.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My dad was unemployed a little over a year when I was in high school and it was really hard. But it also brought us to where we needed to be and I am grateful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet. A good thing to remember when you are in a long line at Walmart. We had our bout with unemployment also. I give thanks every time the paycheck shows up in the automatic deposit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the hope your words give. Still fighten the fight here in the Treasure Valley. Tomorrow I increase to full time (added 2 hours to each day) but know it is a blessing. Just hope there will be such blessings for my husband soon!
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a thoughtful post. It is so interesting how life can change from year to year--and how our challenges can in the end, give us experience to help others, or at the very least be compassionate with them. I am glad things have worked out so well for your husband. I hope things work out for the others as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My hubs has been unemployed for 15 months now. I needed your post.

    We enjoyed the first 6 months of having him home and had hope that he'd get a job anyday...and our fun would be ruined.

    Now, I'm cynical every time he gets a call for an interview...and even when he talks about how he thought the interview went. Now I don't dare hope.

    Instead I grasp faith with both hands daily.

    We're blessed with the same kindness and good people in our lives. Thank heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amen ... we haven't been there, knocking on wood - but kindness is always the winner, no matter what side you are on. Thanks for sharing this story.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @UtahJ: You are so right. Thx for stopping by!
    @AB: Don't give up. Let your faith sustain you.
    Lean into it. Share your husband's hope and optimism. It can lift your mood...and I do believe in putting positive energy "out there".
    @Joy/Lori: It is true--trials come and go. What weighs on us one moment, lifts us the next.
    @Lorna: I'm emailing you.
    @Marilyn: I am grateful every single time I go shopping, that I have the money to buy what we need. I'm a complete boob.
    @Charlotte: It was a trial that our whole family grew from. We must've needed it, otherwise we wouldn't have had it.
    @Sarah: Thank you for your kind words. It's the journey we're sharing that makes it less bitter, right? Since I've never lived in any country but the US, I can only say that you are blessed to be where you are and wonder if you too, have your own trials in NZ?
    @Sue: Compassion comes from experience and understanding...

    ReplyDelete
  19. You ramble so beautifully and are such an inspiration to me! You uplifting words just made my day!

    ((hugs))

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  20. Been there, suffered that. My husband had his own business that we watched dry up as a result of several things, mainly the economy. It took him over a year to find a job. Then he was let go 5 months later. PTL he was without a job for only 2 months this time. But I'm still on pins and needles.

    ReplyDelete
  21. "But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive." ~~ Ge 50:20

    Blessings, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for sharing. We lost a business about 3 years ago and are slowly recovering. I am sooo grateful that I can appreciate everything we have. Nothing like trials to keep us grounded!! Love the hiring stories!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love those hiring stories! I've been thinking lately about how the Lord seems to take us in circles like this.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Braden: Karma is another good word for it, eh? What goes around, comes around. Gotta be on our toes 24/7! lol
    @SMS: Sharing our trials makes them lighter,right? And showing the other end of the trial gives fellow travellers hope.
    @Cheryl: Can I just say I love that you have a scripture for this?? love. it!
    @Amy: I so know where you are. We are less prone to get lazy, these days, hunh?
    @Kristin: ha! thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love that you're going to send a note to the saleswoman's boss. You say "be kind"...well...you're doing it.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!