Thursday, May 6, 2010

Let's Move Mother's Day!

I have a confession to make.
And I may as well open this can of festering worms right here--
I hate that Mother's Day is on
a Sunday.

Sunday--
the busiest day of my week
is no "day of rest" for me.
It never has been.

Church.
Mother's Day is the underdog
when it comes to Sundays
because of Church.
It doesn't matter what time the meetings
begin,
it takes precedence
over
Mother's Day.

An experience to illustrate my point:
In preparation for Mother's Day
one year
I determined to MAKE it a
Day of Rest for myself
by laying out the children's sunday clothes
the night before,
cleaning the heck outta the house
on Saturday,
and did every stinkin thing I could
to make sure
I got my wish for Mother's Day...
which was:
TO GET DRESSED BY MYSELF
and DRESS ONLY MYSELF
for Church.
That was simply enough, right?
It was better than macaroni necklaces
and runny eggs with burnt toast.

Apparently,
it is not possible
to get dressed by yourself
and only dress yourself when
you are a mother of young children.

Come Sunday morning,
shoes disappeared,
socks vaporized,
buttons blew off,
zippers wouldn't zip,
hair brush fairies descended upon
our domain
and stole every hairbrush and comb
within a three block radius.
In short,
it was
Pandemonium!

There was weeping
wailing
and
gnashing of teeth
out in the family room.
I could hear it from my bathroom
where I stood
trying to put on mascara--
coaching myself to
"Stay put. Let him deal with it.
Do not go out there!"
The chaos grew,
and tears started flowing,
then before I knew it,
I stood in front of the whole heehaw gang
and bellowed:
"ALL I'VE EVER WANTED WAS TO BE A WIFE
AND MOTHER!!, then dragging a finger in front of them,
AND YOU PEOPLE ARE RUINING MY EXPERIENCE!"

Their faces dropped,
eyes wide open
staring in disbelief at Mommy
standing there in her slip
mascara in one hand,
finger pointing in the other.

I lost it.
I was trying to hold it all in,
but I couldn't.
A giggle escaped.
Then another and another
until I was laughing so hard,
I was outta control.

The troops joined me
in laughing at the ridiculousness
of my statement.

Mother's Day.
Should not be on Sunday.

I decided that last night
as Mr. Wonderful and I lay in bed
and he asked,
"What do you wanna do for Mother's Day?"
I thought for a moment
and said,
"Let's have a big barbecue on Saturday,
and celebrate it then.  Sunday's are too busy."
Mr. Wonderful sighed,
"Sounds good to me." then yawned
and rolled over to sleep.

Sounds good to me too.
I can sleep in...
o wait, no I can't--
we still have the missionaries over
for breakfast.
Shoot.
BUT, I can go BACK to bed
when they leave.
See?
--this is looking better already.
And for a laugh, here ya go:

12 comments:

  1. Have to agree that Sunday Mother's Day is a tough one with little kids. And that video is GREAT. I laughed and teared up at the same time. (My favorite emotional state, by the way.)

    Thanks!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That video was awesome!!

    Happy Mama's Day!! Hope you get to relax more now that your kids are a little older & can hopefully just fend for themselves for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved that video! My ten-year-old sings that song all the time, but this version is way better.
    And my husband is now the bishop, so I love your idea of Saturday. I'll see what I can do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you will have a blessed Saturday, cause I know you are a great MOM! And make those girls hunt the hairbrushes Saturday afternoon while you take a nap.;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someday, I'm hoping, I'll relax on Mother's Day. Right now, I'm just surviving the chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! I love what you said about how they were ruining your experience. You have a point about Mother's Day being on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even with church I still manage to make it all about me. After church I climb back in bed and refuse to lift a finger the rest of the day. Kids still manage to get fed and not die. It is my fave day of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just realized my daughter was signed into google. So that Cassidy comment was from me. Kids.....grrrr. They make it so hard to be a parent...:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm waiting for the day when my kids actually figure out that there is such a thing as "mother's day".

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have thought about this for so many years. It is true - Sunday's are definately the busiest day of the week.
    I always wondered if anyone else saw the oxy-moron there!
    My husband is the Bishop now so it is even worse, but now that my kids are older it is not chaotic like it used to be at least. They do get themselves ready and I will not be cooking - My hubby already asked me what I wanted for my dinner - Yayyyy!
    The story of the yelling had me rolling and crying because it seriously sounds exactly like something I would do and say back in the day when the kids were all little - so ridiculous and hilarious at the same time - HA HA HA!!!
    Years ago I actually moved Easter to Saturday for this same reason. We do the big dinner and the Easter bunny stuff on Saturday so we can enjoy Sunday.
    Sunday is a horrible day for holidays period!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the Saturday idea. Seriously, I can't even go out to eat on Mother's Day. My husband was working last year and will be leaving for out of town immediately after church this year, so I will be celebrating by trying to keep the kids from shredding the last of my sanity.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!