Friday, July 16, 2010

Families Can Be Together Forever



This was the best day of my life.
Beautiful.
Perfect.

It was the day
our family was sealed
for
Time and All Eternity
in the
Salt Lake Temple--
or the Pioneer Temple,
as our family calls it.

I'm the only Latter-Day Saint
 in my family
as
Mr. Wonderful is the only
Latter-Day Saint
in his too.
That makes us pioneers in our own right,
so when it was time
to choose which Temple
to seal our family,
the Salt Lake Temple
was the obvious choice.

Our special day was June 25th, 2004.
Just six years ago.
Don't we all just have the greatest smiles on?

I'd arranged the photographer to meet us
right after the sealing
so those smiles
are fresh
and
true.

That day in June,
there were 54 other couples being sealed--
fifty of them were young couples just being married.
When our family came out of the Temple,
there were wedding parties
all over the beautiful temple grounds.
As our photographer placed us
under this tree,
our first photograph--
we were surprised to see other
photographers gather around us
and also snap away with their cameras.
My oldest son, David Scott
whispered in my ear,
"What's going on? Why are they doing that?"
I thought about it and said,
"Well maybe it's because we represent
eternal families today."
The other wedding parties
were young and vibrant--
but I guess seeing children
dressed in white
with their parents just touched their hearts.
I don't know.
But
I was on Cloud Nine.

I wish we could go back to the Temple
once a year,
the whole family,
right back to the same sealing room,
ya know,
and just BE TOGETHER
as a family...
just to be sure we're all
where we should be
in Life.

Because it was the best place
in the world
to be with my family--
to have that eternal-ness
all around us.
To have just a glimpse into
eternal possibilities.

Having an eternal perspective
is the foundation of our family--
the fussin' and fightin'
the kissin' and makin-ups

they all matter.

Because what we have at stake
aren't just family relationships
that are to be
endured and tolerated
in this life,
to be left in the dust tomorrow,
no,
we're building more than that
in the walls of our home,
and when you're building something
you believe is meant to last forever,
you take it seriously.
At the end of the day,
I have to be "right" with my kids,
and they have to be "right"
with each other.
Discipline is meted out with purpose--
to teach, to prepare, to grow
these young ones
into responsible,
faithful
loving
adults.

As earnest as I may try,
I mess up.
I need forgiveness from the people
I love most.
So humility is my goal here,
as I urge my young ones to do their best,
to show their best,
to repent and improve
and be gentle on themselves too.
To laugh more
at myself,
gives them permission to laugh
at themselves.


We're participating in God's Greatest Plan--
the Eternal Family.
And whatever else we may deal with
as we learn and grow
in the lab of our family walls,
nothing
nothing
nothing
is more important
than the relationships we build
with one another.

So yeah, we'll deal with
the normal challenges of a growing family
head on,
and somedays there is
weeping
and
wailing
and
gnashing of teeth,
doors taken off of hinges,
time-outs
groundings
and grumblings.
But there are also
apologies offered,
hugs given,
prayers heavenward,
forgiveness offered,
hearts mended.
Because I believe this to be true:
Families Can Be Together Forever.

To learn more about the purpose and promises of the Holy Temple: https://www.mormon.org/beliefs/the-family

*before listening to this, go to the bottom of the page and pause the musicplayer.

Enhanced by Zemanta

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Momza.

    Love the picture. So depicts was really is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful, sigh Wish we all had families like that

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures are beautiful!! And the message is sweet and well written. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely, Dawn. It makes me emotional to see this picture of your beautiful family at the temple.

    I can see why the photographers were snapping away.

    =)

    PS. And I loved the words, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures and I can just well imagine what a special day it was for your family!

    Being in the Temple with your kids is an amazing thing. I've been there with 2 of mine now as they have gotten married and gone on missions. It is wonderful and you look forward to the day when you can ALL sit together inside. You definately get an eternal perspective!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this post is beautiful, and I love the pictures of your family - you all look so lovely and full of love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post. As usual. Last Saturday, I went to the Manti temple to see my brother and his family sealed. It was where I was sealed to my parents when I was 5 months old, and I had never been back. My mother said, "The room where we were sealed is right next door", so we went over there and stood together for a minute. In most ways, it was where everything began. I know my dad was there with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sweet, M. Look look gorgeous in those shots!

    And DeNae, what a great experience that must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Kazzy: Thank you. It was the best day ever.
    @DeNae: When each of my oldest kids were married in the SL Temple, we stopped by our sealing room too--that's "Our Room"--man, I love the temple.
    Home. That's what it feels like to me. Only super clean.lol. love it.
    @sarah: oh we were. it was heavenly.
    @Cherie: I feel the same way too, as my oldest have gotten married...it is a beautiful experience to be there together. With our firstborn, it was just Mr W and I at the sealing; then when Dani got married, it was Mr W, me, David Scott and his wife. By the time the youngest gets married in 10 or more years, we'll fill up a sealing room!
    @Lisa: Thanks so much!
    @Sue: You're so kind. It was in every way, a perfect day for me. For us.
    @Lori: Thank you for stopping by! Hope your summer hiatus is relaxing!
    @Lisalulu: We're all works in progress, right?
    @Tauna: What's really important IS really important!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can definitely tell those are genuine smiles. So Beautiful! Loved the video at the end too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that made me teary eyed. Soooo beautiful. I love seeing whole families in the temple. What a priceless pic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got teary eyed just seeing the photo before even reading the post. BEAUTIFUL!!! You have let me catch a glimpse of eternity.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!