Friday, July 9, 2010

The Queen Came By Today

When I was a young mother of younger children--
I had 3 children under two years old--
it was really hard to stay on top of housework.
And a messy house equaled
a messy mind for this Momza.

If you ask my own mother
she'd tell you that
growing up,
I always had the cleanest room
in the house.

I lined my socks up in drawers
by color and style--
white
with ruffle
without ruffle.
My favorite activity was
organizing
my things.
My room was my haven.

Flash forward to motherhood,
and there I was with a housefull
of small children
and a mountain of laundry
sinkfull of dishes
dirty diapers
and
no energy or time management skills
to get my house in order.
Then
THEN
I came across a story that changed
my Life--
The story is set in England
in the days when Kings and Queens
traveled by horse carriage
through their kingdoms
village by village.

One morning,
a worn-out mother of many children
bid her also worn-out husband goodbye
for the day,
as he left for work.
Turning around,
she looked at the state of her household
which was a mess--
laundry spilling over from the washtub,
the dining table couldn't even be seen
due to the mounds of unattended clutter,
the floors only cleared for small footpaths
between each room.
Then the mother looked at her children:
unkempt, dirty clothes, smudged faces
and filthy feet--
her heart sank at the chaos that was staring back at her.
"Not today, she mumbled. Not today."

Just then,
a neighbor knocked on the door,
and poking his head thru the screen,
announced that
"The Queen is approaching the village!"

The young mother looked at her own appearance--
ragged dress,
stained apron,
her dirty hair tucked into a careless bun...
she was in no shape to meet the Queen.
Not today.
Not today.

She brought her children inside the home
and drew her shutters closed
hoping that the Queen would pass by
and not notice her missing subjects.

The Queen's arrival at the village
was heralded by it's citizens--
they all came out to pay respects to
her Highness...
all except the worn-out young mother
and her children.

The Queen did notice the absence of
this family,
and without a word,
stepped out of the carriage
plucked some wild flowers from the earth
and
knocked on the family's door.

The young mother was so embarrassed,
opening the door,
couldn't even look up at her Queen.
The Queen reached out and took
the young mother's hand,
and placed the wildflowers in it.
She smiled at the young mother
and climbed back into her carriage
to continue her journey.


The young mother could hardly believe
the graciousness of the Queen!
She stared at the wildflowers
for a moment,
and then decided to put them in
the best vase she had!

Digging under the cupboard
way
way
way
in the back,
she found a dusty pottery vase.
She ran it under water,
cleaning it off to a gleam,
filled the vase with water
and gently tucked the wildflowers
inside.

She looked around the house
to see where to put her special treasure--
where would it be most appreciated?--she wondered.
Ah ha!--
She set it in the center of the dining table.

Stepping back,
she noticed all the clutter on the table that
distracted from the simple beauty
of the wildflowers.
Quickly,
she cleared the table,
wiped it down
and again,
stood back with admiration.
Better, she thought.
Then a chain of reactions
took over--
wouldn't the wildflowers look even better
if I cleaned the kitchen too?
And the kitchen would look better if
I cleaned the livingroom?
And the livingroom would feel so much better
if the rest of the house were clean too.
Room after room,
she tended and cleaned,
humming a happy tune
as she went along.
The children joined their mother,
each anxious to share this happy day.
After the house was clean,
the mother looked over her brood
and warmed up some water over the fire
and you guessed it--
cleaned them up too.

She put dinner on,
set the table as best as she could,
with worn dishes carefully arranged
around the beautiful wildflowers.
As she lay down a plate,
she caught her own reflection--
"Oh no,
this will not do!
Not today!", she said to herself.
And then she tended to her own appearance.


When the young father came home,
he barely recognized his own home
and family--
he looked at his wife curiously,
and all she could do was point to the
little pottery vase of wildflowers
and say,
"The Queen came by today."

~~~

So I read this story to my husband
at the time
and the next day when he came home from work,
he brought home fresh flowers for me
and a tradition
a habit
whatever you wanna call it--
was born.


I love fresh flowers--
any kind
any color
I love 'em all.
And they have the same affect on me
as the woman in the story.
Mr Wonderful as well as my children
are sweet to me in that I usually have fresh flowers
on my dinner table
nearly all the time.
It makes me happy.

So try it.
Even if you have to buy your own favorite petals
at the grocery store today--
buy them
dust off your most favorite vase,
and see if they don't help to motivate you!

22 comments:

  1. That's a lovely story. I know I feel more together when something is blooming inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always loved that story. I think about it a lot. Sometimes it's even motivation to get up and get going. It doesn't have to be something big to make a big difference, does it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just popped over from Jen's Blog @ Denton sanitorium. What a great story, I love this! So glad I stopped by, I'll be back for more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My house is in desperate need of a queenly visit - I think I'll do just that (well, you know... after I read a few blogs!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story! Flowers can definitley change a mood!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is such a lovely story - and the thing I like best about it is that it doesn't have the usual moral we see today about it being okay to have a messy house because you're busy. My own house is horribly messy (except Fridays and Mondays when we take callers) but I do feel guilty about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that story! I can so totally relate to the worn out woman! I think today might be a flower day after all....

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautiful! I will have to remember this story! My house is in a state of constant chaos, and this inspires me to try that much harder!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the story! And I love fresh flowers, too.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for posting this, I loved it. Can I use also?

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ everyone: I'm glad it sparked home with you all.
    We can all use a little inspiration now and then, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the story and the tradition it spawned. I think I will pick some flowers up next time I'm out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hardly ever know what to say after I read your blog - which I do every time you post. So I rarely comment. I know; that's unusual for me. But you always leave me with this wonderful feeling that, well, kind of defies words.

    What a treasure you are.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I usually get mad when my husband brings home flowers, thinking it's a waste of money. I'll think differently next time. And maybe I'll just buy some flowers today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too love fresh flowers. My husband used to bring them every week but with the economy and less of a paycheck, that was one of the first things we cut back on. BUT--I have a lot of roses in my garden that are free!

    What struck me about your story though, was not the flowers exactly, but the Queen. Wouldn't it be wonderful to be the type of person who always makes the world a little brighter, and helps people be a little better? I love that thought.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great story. Thanks for sharing it.
    I love the way you write.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Tauna: thank you for stopping by and your very kind comments!
    @Joy: You know, homegrown flowers are probably the best kind! And honestly, I've met women who are very much like the Queen, in real life--always going around blessing others; reminds me of Sr. Hinckley.
    @Amy: I hope you got some flowers over the weekend!
    @Denae: I'm just writing down what's in my noggin' for good or bad, lol. Thank you.
    @Charlotte: I hope you do, you certainly deserve them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Momza,

    Love ya, just so you know.

    also, two words that saved my sanity and my marriage..EAR PLUGS! Honestly, I now cannot sleep without them. Laura in AZ

    ReplyDelete
  19. So, I'm not married or a mom, and I don't even have my own house, but that was really good to hear. :) I really miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this story. I'm going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!