Friday, August 20, 2010

Book Reviews: "The Wednesday Letters" and "Catholic Roots, Mormon Harvest"

Nana told me to read
"The Wednesday Letters"--
she said I'd love it.
So I did.
Read it, I mean.
I did not love it.
It was okay and the message was not predictable.
But
meh
I don't know. It ended so weird that I had to re-read the ending
to make sense of it.  And then I made Mr Wonderful listen to me
sorta "de-brief" my self.
Can't say I'd recommend it to anyone.


"Catholic Roots, Mormon Harvest"
was written by Eric Shuster,
born and raised in the Catholic Church,
by parents who were devoutly Catholic--
working for the San Francisco diocese
among other things.
Eric also worked for the Catholic Church
and most importantly,
loved that faith with it's heritage and rich traditions
for most of his life.
His wife, used to be a Franciscan Nun,
no kidding,
before they met of course.
She graduated Magna Cum Laude from
the University of Saint Thomas
with a degree in Catholic Theology.

The book details their love of Catholicism
and the how's, why's and wherefores
of their eighteen-month conversion to
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
I have enjoyed reading this book very much.
The Shusters do not bash the faith of their fathers,
but show how they took from their roots all the best
that was there
and joined it with
the Mormon faith.
It is about as honest as can be...
and I can say that because I know these two wonderful people.
Eric and Marilyn are in our Stake.
They are loving, vibrant, knowledgeable about the Gospel
moreso than many LDS are--
they had alot to lose with their conversion,
so you bet they brought everything to the table
and in this book,
Catholic Roots, Mormon Harvest
they show that process in detail.
Lovely book
and I would recommend it to anyone.

11 comments:

  1. I read the first book, The Wednesday Letters, and liked it ok... didn't love it but didn't hate it either.
    The second book sounds very good. I will have to put it on my short list of reads.
    Thanks for the reviews on both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reading list. I look forward to getting my hands on the second one. I have already read the Wednesday's Letters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a must read to me. I'm sold.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds great! I'm adding that one to my list. My husband had a prof at BYU who used to be a monk. He had an interesting story too. BTW-did you ever see Eat, Pray, Love? (did I get the order right?) I'm wondering how you felt about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know this Catholic girl is interested in Catholic Roots, Mormon Harvest. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Believe it or not I LOVE these posts. (I get an email from Google whenever someone posts a book review.) I think it's great you didn't love the book and shared an honest opinion. Different tastes for different folks. It's what challenges us!

    Try Christmas Jars sometime. Maybe you'll enjoy it more :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read The Wednesday Letters and I loved it!! But if everyone like the same things all the time... life would get very dull and boring. I think the fact that people like different things allows for great discussion and some deep thinking, sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jason and Wendy: In all fairness, I didn't go a very good job reviewing "The Wednesday Letters"--I enjoyed reading it--in fact, couldn't put it down until I was finished! The characters were very well-written, the setting perfectly described--as I know the South, having lived in the Carolinas for a time--all of that was really done nicely. And the moral of the story--to truly forgive, was touching. What I got hung-up on was (without spoiling it for anyone else)--who turned out to be Malcolm's father and the place that man had in their community, by their invitation, no less. I couldn't get past that, which is why I couldn't recommend the book to others.
    So that's really it--loved it all until the big reveal. Maybe it's because I just couldn't be so magnanimous/Christ-like in that situation. Apparently, I've got alot to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Amy: Let me know if you want to read it and I'll get a copy to you asap.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Wednesday Letters because of the awkward situation/ending! I thought that it was a perfect illustration of Christ-like forgiveness. "Father forgive them..."

    I'm adding the Catholic Roots book to my "to read" list...and maybe my "to share" list as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great story idea! I grew up Catholic, and my uncle was a Franciscan priest.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!