Monday, September 12, 2011

The Circle of a Woman's Reach

So I'm thinking about the women in my life.
I have so many to be thankful for that tonight
I decided to say it outloud!
THANK YOU TO:
The women I knew as teachers
when I was younger...
Miss Peck, Mrs. Gaye, Mrs Stafford,
Mrs. Franklin, my fourth grade english teacher, who looked like a princess
always smelled good, and made me want to learn how to spell!

Mrs. Dornan, the neighbor who taught me how to macrame,
and the neighbor I ran to in the middle of the night when
I was just 10 years old and found my own mother
swallowing pills to take her own life.
You were soft and warm & always comforted me.

Mrs. Crosby and Mrs. LaHew, also neighbors
who sewed for me--
Mrs.Crosby made me a light green wrap-around skirt,
and Mrs. LaHew sewed a blue and pink plaid skating dress,
just like the one she made for her daughter,
my best friend, Jackie.

Mrs. Bartlett, who always lent me a pencil and paper in school
when I had none. Which was nearly every day of 5th grade.

My Aunt Joyce who taught me to sew my own clothes in eighth grade
and always had a listening ear...I used to wish she was my mom.
Then we moved away from Florida
and away from family.

Gratefully, there were other women
who, for whatever reason,
chose to bless my life--

Sarah Anderson, thank you for caring for me
when my own family asked me to leave the house
with the clothes on my back that snowy February day.
Thank you for sewing me that special dress for the
Valentine's Dance so I could go.
Shirley Carlson, thank you for opening your closet
and pulling out brand new clothes and shoes for me
when I had none.
Rosalie Kieth, thank you for taking me in,
when you had four other children of your own to care for,
and for teaching me scriptures while we stood in line at the grocery store,
and for sharing your Book of Remembrance with the cute little cut-out windows
of all of your friends in it.
SuzAnne Brothers, thank you for letting me sleep in your grandmother's special
iron bed and use her special hand-made quilt with the tiny pink roses on it.
You made me feel special too.
Thank you for teaching me your recipe for cod fish and marinara sauce
with mozzarella cheese.
And for teaching me to clean the house on Mondays.
And washing the floors on my hands and knees--
I still make that recipe, and I still wash my floors that way.

Laurie Madsen,
Thank you for taking me into your family
when my own asked me to leave again because of my faith.
I still make your recipe for cheesegrits and our family prayers
are sweeter when we kneel like your family knelt.

Shelly Sorenson...thank you for being an awesome Visiting Teacher.
For coming to my house when my first baby was born
and encouraging me along.
I was so sad that you died in childbirth.  But I thought of you every time
I went into labor and was reminded to be grateful for the miracle of life.
I miss you.

Karen Barg, I love you.
Thank you so much for giving me a wonderful hug
and saying,
"Congratulations" when I found out I was
pregnant with number three
alot sooner than I wanted to be.
I needed someone to celebrate it with me.
You were that person.

Candy Rice: Thank you so much for going to aerobics with me
and cheering me on to lose that baby weight!!
Just knowing you were going to be at my door
every Monday, Wednesday and Friday
kept me motivated to move my buns!

Dr. Eileen, at St. Joseph's Hospital in Phoenix,
thank you for meeting me and Dean at 7am
every morning for three years
so he could have physical therapy.
Thanks for all the stickers you gave to my other children,
who were sitting patiently waiting.
We put all those stickers in their journals...
well the ones that didn't get stuck on their clothing,
or inside the car windows.

To our sweet neighbors in South Carolina,
Leslie Rufus and Leanna Butler,
thanks for making our very sparse Christmas
a beautiful memory.

Lisa Parry, thank you for being a loving Visiting Teaching Companion.
I learned so much from your dedication.
Thank you for sharing so much of your self with me,
that when I suffered post-partum depression,
I could talk to you about it and not feel judged.
And thank you for teaching the Primary kids my favorite song,
"I'll Walk With You"...in honor of Dean.
Your love helped me so much.

Sister Mathers,
Thanks for meeting us at the hotel,
and driving me around to find a place to live
when we arrived in South Carolina to go to school there.
I'd never met you before and there you were!
Thanks for showing up in the pouring down rain
with a crockpot full of delicious chili when I had
Number Four...even though you weren't my visiting teacher.

Dorn Fox, thank you for that beautiful sweater you bought
me for the baby shower...
your card said the baby had lots of gifts,
and you wanted to do something just for me--
I loved the sweater and I still have that card, twenty years later.

Mary Gwinn, thanks to you, I was able to use my
calligraphy talents to help support my family
while we were in school!
By your word of mouth and your Aunt's bridal shop,
I was always busy!
I still do wedding invites all these years later,
and I always think of you and your sweet family.

Nan, you are more than my friend,
you have become my sister.
Thank you for laughing at me,
crying with me,
praying for me and just being there.
I so needed you.

My SIL, Stacie--
for letting me and my yahoos drive down to Atlanta
every six weeks (during midterms and finals)
and hanging out with you and Keith and the kids.
We loved the eggrolls and the memories!

Dottie, thank you for letting me work with you as
a Midwife Assistant.
You let me love your clients and do something I've always wanted to do.
You were an answer to my prayers.

Stacey Durrant--thank you for that first plate of cookies
you brought over the day we moved into the house on
Coberd*le, and for welcoming us into the ward so warmly.
For sharing your painting tips! And for organizing a wedding reception
in Salt Lake when we knew noone else there!
You are such a generous sister and I am blessed in knowing you.

Dodee...you are a trip!
Thanks for the late night talks,
the early morning walks,
the laughs and giggles and sharing your testimony of
God's love for all of His children
in a thousand different moments.

Kelly McKamey and Tami Lynard, thank you
for coaching me to be the best doula
I can be!  You both have shared all you know
so graciously, I am confident going into births
because I know I've been trained by exceptional women!

Lorna...thank you for seeing in my heart
the quiet emptiness
of missing my son,
and bringing him to me as a surprise!
Noone has ever equaled that joyous gift!
I love you to infinity!

Robyn Baird and Rhonda Cazier--thank you for helping me
get my homestaging business going in Idaho,

and Kelly W. thanks for being my partner in crime now!
We are sisters in every sense of the word. One day, we will
have to go to Las Vegas to see Donny Osmond!

Vicki, thank you for sharing the secret to your happiness:
the Gospel.
It changed my life
and brought all of these fine women into my realm.

 There are several other women who've taken time
out of their lives and reached over to touch mine.
This list is just a small sampling of the good women
in my life who've served and love me so.
Women are good at that.
We are the nurturing souls on this earth,
the ones who weep with us
and for us
and lift us up when we are low.
How we need one another to get thru this life
in joy and sorrow.
I am who I am
because of a multitude of women.
Because of them,
I am a better Wife and Mother,
a better friend and sister.

What about you?  Who is on your Grace-full Women List??
Today's a good day to be thankful.


*this is a re-post from 8/2010

19 comments:

  1. Wow! You've had some real challenges and some wonderful women in your life! This post has really touched me! It makes me realize how much I need to be there for others.

    I've had some women who have been shining examples, devoted friends, hilariously fun companions, and sure and steady guides.

    You have many women who must love you! Thanks for sharing your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I revisited thoughts of my midwife last week when I posted my tandem nursing twins pic. She was one of the fundamental women in my life who really helped me see myself as someone I could be, not someone I was already. And I Love Her Forever For It.

    PS: I love that you remember your 4th grade English teacher smelled good. That just makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PPS: I'm hosting a great Giveaway on my blog this week. (Free stuff is good, right?) :)

    If you're interested, here's the link:
    http://thechocolatechipwaffle.blogspot.com/2010/08/decadent-yum-end-of-summer-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. how wonderful! this is truly beautiful. I feel thoroughly inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've had some amazing women touch your life. Thank you for sharing these memories of them. Now I'm remembering all the sisters who've loved and helped me.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I am moved by all of your experiences. Kicked out of the house? I can't imagine who would ever be able to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Kazzy: Did ya see the part where she attempted suicide? That was just the first time. My mother was never sane.
    @Sue: That's the whole point.
    @sarah: thank you for appreciating my thoughts today.
    @Terresa: That's what good Grace-full women do...they help us to see ourselves in a better way.
    @Connie: I am so entirely grateful for so many good women who've blessed my life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was so sweet. There were so many people that have meant a lot to you.
    You have such a great way with words and sentiments.
    It caused me to think about those teachers and women that were there for me when I needed. I realized I too have always been surrounded by angels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing post!! I love how you honor these women but also honor us by sharing personal pieces of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a beautiful journal of your life, a Grateful journal. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dawn
    Who took me out to lunch and was my friend when I was in a new place, with new people, in the closest state to depression I have ever been.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aaaawww, I'm greatful for YOU, Dawn. Such a heartfelt post! Gratitude is a great attitude! And...can I go to Vegas with you and Kelly?! I love Donny! (And you and Kelly!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cried through this post, Momza. What a lovely tribute to so many remarkable women. Made me think of all those I ought to thank too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @MommyJ: Hey, I cried writing it. So thanks for crying with me. Women on the whole, are remarkable. You're right in there!
    @Stacey: YES! Since you know Donny, you can introduce Kelly and I to him! HUGS! HUMONGOUS HUGS!
    @Heather: You can see where I learned that from, right? Can't wait for the "BABY'S HERE" post!
    @Lisa: It was time to get those names and gratitude out there, while I can still remember.
    @Liz: That anyone cares is an honor for me.
    @Tauna: angels is a great word.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH! And don't forgot that other woman....you know...the one.....ummmm..
    what's her name???? Ah! Who cares! As long as she knows her own name then it's ALL good! :D lol
    love you Dawn and have enjoyed getting to know you and shaking our bahooeys off in the Zumba-licious class.
    What an awesome, sweet post. I love it!
    From Sister Fairy Princess Happy :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an awesome post and you have really been blessed with wonderful women in your life. I was once told that we all need a "wise woman" to look up to. Sometimes it's our friends, other times it's our mom or grandma or aunt. It's important to take time to be thankful for all those women who've helped us through life.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Came over from MMB which I do quite often. I love your blog, especially this one. Thank you for shring so much of your life. This post was just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Jessie: Thanks for your very kind comment!
    @Moody: Your granma is a wise woman. Thank you for coming by!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Fairy Princess Happy: I am coveting your garden even as I sit here thinking about your awesome watermelons, cherry tomatoes and zucchini. I love your gutz, Peri!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!