Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Non-Jersey Shores Situation

We had a situation here this week,
that is very unlike Jersey Shores "The Situation"--
(seriously, is it just me or is that kid kind of immature?--
I've never even seen the show,
but every time I see a photo of him,
his shirt is pulled up like he's a two year old girl.
just sayin.)

Anywhooooo...
we have some young neighbors
who have some young little girls.
One of whom has tested the
"honesty" waters lately...
She told the Caboose--
who was within ear shot of Nana,
that her parents abuse her--
that her father shoved her down the stairs,
and her parents refuse to feed her!
AND
that if the Caboose told ME,
and if I then told THEM,
she would lie her fool head off,
rather than face certain death!
AND
(hey, there's more!  there's always more when
a nine year old girl is concerned,
and this one was on a roll!)
AND--if the Caboose told me,
then she would make sure
that the Caboose was
suspended from school
AND
go to "Kid Prison".

Now, I was flat-out ignoring the child-abuse bally hooing,
if you knew her parents
like I know her parents,
you would too.
But when the Caboose was fretting about going to
Kid Prison and eating green beans all day,
I knew it was time to have a little chat
with this youngun's father yesterday morning.

Yes, he was shocked.
Yes, he couldn't believe it.
Yes, he told his sweet wife,
whom I was sure was going to either
A) Put her kid in a chokehold
or
 B) Die from shock.

The parents asked if they could come over
have a chat
get to the bottom of this situation
because as you might've guessed--
their daughter would never talk like that,
was always kind and honest,
why, she would just never!...
blah blah blah
you know this stuff
cuz you've been there, right?

I know I've been there--
ready to defend my yahoo's reputation
with my last breath
before I knew any better.
I came to the sad realization that my yahoos--
my beloved off-spring for whom
I have
sacrificed so much--
my waistline
my hard-earned money
my time, talents, means
and last nerves--
MY yahoos would dare LIE to their mother
to save their own skins!

I learned this when my oldest yahoo
was in fifth grade:
the teacher called to "inform" me of my son's
unnaceptable behavior.
I can't even recall what it was,
so it wasn't theft,
physical violence
or naughty words--
it had something to do with
writing on someone else's paper.
ANYWHO,
while the teacher is telling me
this
this
this nonsense,
I told her in no uncertain terms that
MY BOY WOULD NEVER DO THAT. period.
Then I asked to speak to my son,
and I asked him over the phone,
"Did you do that?"
to which he replied "No, Mom."
Satisfied with his answer,
I asked to speak to his teacher.
"Yes, my son says he didn't do that, and I believe him."
Then she said,
"Why don't you come down to the school and see for yourself."

I was indignant.
Of course I would come down to prove my son's innocence!
What Mama Bear wouldn't??

I went into the Principal's Office
ready to claw at anyone who dare challenge my son's character,
only to be handed my dignity back into my face
as I saw the paper-in-question with my own two eyeballs.

A little part of me died.
Right there in Mrs. Inserra's office
at Bellair Elementary School.

I was in shock.
My Beloved Son, My David Scott had
told me a big fat honkin' lie...
and he knew when I got there--
he knew I was going to look like an Idiot
in front of his teacher and Principal.

And he did it anyway.

SO
that's the day I learned that while I may
teach my yahoos all I know about being
honest and true,
they like to test the honesty waters once in awhile
when I'm not expecting it
and shock the daylights outta me.

I just hate that.

So I was relating this story to my young neighbors
who were certain that their
beautiful, rich and talented* child
would NEVER tell such a whopper--
I told them
that sometimes kids lie just to see what happens.
And you don't have to beat yourself up over it
or analyze it to death.
You deal with it in your own way,
(filling up socks with sand and thumping the yahoos with them
doesn't leave a mark, did you know that?)
and then you move on.

I think my young neighbors were both
relieved and discouraged.
Relieved
that we weren't mad or
in any other way affected,
so long as their brat*
stopped threatening the Caboose
with hard time in the Big Kid House
and being suspended from school;
and
Discouraged
that they have a normal kid on their hands
because before today,
they were pretty sure she was an incarnate Mother Theresa.

Kids wreck us parents up sometimes.
I think it's payback for all the wrecking up we do to them.

I bet that's what that kid on Jersey Shore is doing to his folks.
Payback. Totally.

12 comments:

  1. Man, does this bring the memories flooding back to me! I hate lying (not that I haven't told my share of the big L), but even more then that I hate catching someone in a lie and they don't have the decency to be humbled and down-trodden and maybe even a little bit demoralized. You are both kind and wise dealing with this part of growing up and I have learned from you this day!
    Thank you
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wise and wonderful neighbor you are!

    (And what a funny, funny blogger...)

    All wrapped up in one lovely Momza package.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No! My kids will never lie! OK, maybe. Excellent post...I never comment and it turned me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I remember a friend who stole my ring (we were 9)and then told me all kinds of whoppers when I found it. I really wanted to believe her rather than think she would steal it. I did get it back, but it just makes a person wonder...And as far as The Situation. What an idiot. He's on Dancing with the Stars, which I love, but I hope he goes soon. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually watched the deflowering of my sister's innocent conviction that her oldest child never lied. If he hadn't been such a turd for so long, I might not have enjoyed the moment as much as I did. As it was, I couldn't keep the "it's about time" smirk off my face. I finally left the room so she wouldn't see me!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember that first time, too. Now I take their tales from school with a grain of salt and hope their teachers give me the same benefit!

    (I usually start a phone call or note about a problem at school with "I know this is coming from a 4/8/13-year-old, so I wanted to get the real story and see if there is really a problem.")

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only seasoned mothers know this, you know that?
    I was in the company of a newer mom--two young kids under 6--and she said some stuff to me that reminded me of young me. And she was so off base. But what can ya say? "In ten years you'll realize how stupid you sound?" No. You act like Momza and just let it kinda work its way out. Good on ya, Momza.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep I have had my kids lie and it is not pretty.
    I do not like situations like this with the neighbors either - even if it is THEIR little darling who is on the lying end. It is always so uncomfortable - Ugh What a stinker!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! We all like to think our kids are perfect. And from my own perspective and related to the story you shared, I don't recommend that your kids date your friends kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a little character! I would have told her parents too. Good move.

    We always take up for our liars, I mean kids, don't we???

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sure brought back some memories!! I have learned never to say, "My child would never" because they probably would. And I have had to deal with others who think their kids are perfect. But we have all worked through it over the years and can laugh about it now. (the blessing of living in the same place forever:-)

    But I agree with Kristin--it isn't a good idea to let your children date your neighbors. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must be wierd, because I was never under the impression that my kids were perfect! I mean, yeah, I felt like there were things that they would never do, that they knew better, that in fact they have done. Sigh. I hate those moments. But generally, if one of them comes to me and says "so and so whacked me!" my first response is "what did you do to so and so first?" I think I may just be cynical. Kids are Butts. It is the way it is. I feel sorry for kids whose parents don't realize are human and will make mistakes! It makes for a very confused and abnormal childhood, when mom and dad put you on a pedestal. There are good kids out there, but there are also obnoxious kids disguised as perfect ones too! those are the ones to watch out for!
    Not to say that I am not a Mama Bear, because I am, but I really try hard to find out both sides of the story before charging in, half cocked. But let me tell you, if you cross my kid, and are in the wrong, your life is going to get a wee bit more difficult!

    Momza, you rock!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!