Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Why I am Always a Day Late and a Dollar Short--the unmentionable story

When I was a little girl,
my mom bought me special underwear--
the kind with the Days of the Week stitched on them.

I loved them.

I'd set each pair out the night before--
Monday for Monday
Tuesday for Tuesday
Wednesday for Wednesday
Thursday for
well, you get the point.
I'd get super excited about how I could
organize my entire weeks' outfits around
a pair of ruffled underwear!

But then at the end of the week,
on Sunday, actually--
it would all go to pot...no pun,
pun intended.
There was no underwear with Sunday on them.
It's like it was sacrilegious to have the word
"Sunday" on a pair of unmentionables.
That was back when shopping wasn't done on Sundays--
if you're as old as me,
you probably recall those days when
 Thou shalt keep the Sabbath day holy
was the real deal.
Stores, restaurants, movie theaters, baseball fields
were quiet.
Sunday was a day of reverence...
and I guess even the underwear people knew that.

So when Sunday came around,
I had to wear Monday's underwear...
and thus began an ugly chain of events.
I wore Tuesday's underwear on Monday,
and Wednesday's on Tuesday...
and so on
and so on...
until I was so far behind,
I ended up wearing Saturday's underwear on Tuesdays!
And that is why I am always a day late and a dollar short!


Today,
I bought the Caboose her own
Days of the Week underwear--
and she was so excited,
she ran up to her bathroom--
at  three o'clock in the afternoon!-
and took a shower to put on her
new underwear!
I kid you not--
can't even make this stuff up.

So when Mr. W comes home,
she meets him at the door
and whispers in his ear about her new
Days Of the Week underwear.
"I'm wearing Wednesdays!'"
We both smile and say,
"It's Tuesday though."
"Oh I know, she says, but I won't have time to
shower in the morning, so I'm wearing them for tomorrow."

[I did tell her she could've waited until I washed them --but she didn't wait.]


So I tossed the others in the wash with some things,
and as I'm sorting them out from the dryer,
I notice something--
there's a Sunday pair.
And then I smile--
no more messing up the days of the week for her!
YES! I think.  Underwear makers finally get it!
We need to wear clean unmentionables even on Sundays!

And then there was a note of sadness.
A ridiculous, sappy realization.
Sundays are just like every other day
in the world my daughter lives in...
they are not days' of rest...
they are days to catch-up
days to run errands and shopping
days to go to movies and out to eat
or a "nod to God and then I'm gone"--
days to go to church and then to ball games...
Sundays are just like every other day--
and even Fruit of the Loom knows it.

And men wonder why women are so uptight?!!!

14 comments:

  1. It's true. I think the addition of Sunday to the days of the week underwear carries a deeper message about our culture that is quite sad.

    Having said that, I'm glad she'll have some for Sunday...

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How delightful! :-)

    I remember the days when shops weren't open on Sundays. Nowadays the only pure holidays are Christmas and Easter, and even with the latter we have many shops finding a way around the law. Even if one isn't religious, there's the loss of something sacred, of a deeper appreciation of life and family, that comes with 7 days a week shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I need to go buy some of these... because currently I can't tell the difference between the different Littlest Pet Shop guys and have a sneaking suspicion that Monday underwear becomes Tuesday underwear with regularity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this one! It is so true too! I guess that is why we are supposed to be a "peculiar people". So that we can teach everyone that Sunday is not just another day of the week. It is a special day for a very special person. And, of course, you have to put on your very best to show Him how much you care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 10yo got some from her Auntie and she loves them too! I remember having some growing up...but don't remember if they included Sunday. Hmmmm. It is kind of a statement of our society though isn't it? Sad indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was AWESOME, Momza.

    And I'm first! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For some reason those days of the week underwear have always creeped me out. It makes me sad how Sunday is seen here. My kids' friends can't understand how my kids can't go out minigolfing or to the movies with them. Why "we'll just do it after your church gets out" doesn't work. My goodness, my kids have received condolences for having to go to church every Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And this is why I read you first thing in the morning. Because I have a smile on my face now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am totally jealous. I never had such cool underwear! I wish I had though.

    And yes, Sundays were very special days. No bike riding, swimming, TV, etc.

    I'm trying to raise my kids the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you can take something so simple and make a great post out of it. It is a gift. Thanks for the thought and the insight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember hearing that at first it was called the Sabbath, then Sunday, then The Weekend (lumped in with Saturday, not even named, just another day to get 'stuff' done.) I never got to have those kind of underwear, I could ONLY have white, period. NEVER a color. never. sigh

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had some Days of the Week undies as well.
    Saturday's were black, Sunday's were white.

    Sort of a hilarious post!!!
    Only you could post about undies and make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute and so nostalgic. I never had those unmentionables, but I had friends who did, and I always thought they were the coolest!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!