Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Make It Do, Make It Last, Make It Over or Do Without

We have this idea in our house
that you have to identify
NEEDS VS. WANTS.

Most times,
the call is evident regarding
a
Need
and
a
Want.

Like new shoes
a new coat
stuff like that.

Not on the list of needs?
Ipods
Ipads
and a host of other things that
saturate the airwaves these days.

I look at things and think:
"Am I being a responsible steward,
if I spend money on this?"

I know it's cheesy.
Archaic.
Dull.

Yet, that's the message in my head.

So,
getting to the point,
we have a dinosaur TV.
It's a behemoth,
n' bulky
and unbelievably heavy--
nothing like those
sleek
plasma
Hi-Def
LED
LCD
LMNOP
TV's that taunt me , I mean, my yahoos
whenever we're at Best Buy
with their 55 features
and magnificent color.

I've been telling the yahoos
that we don't need
one of those
awesome things
because the one we have
works fine.

But guess what, chicken butt?

The ol' box
up and died on us
last weekend.

I am so stinkin'
excited
sad.
sad.
sad.
so much.

12 comments:

  1. Love it when those wants suddenly become needs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a need to me!! And just think of all the fun family time you can have with it--all snuggled up together watching a wholesome family movie!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the sadness! The sad sad sadness.
    I hope you can recover when you lower your standards and HAVE to buy a new sleek model.
    Big bulky models are just so character building.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when sad news turns into wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went through the same thing. We kept our old console TV for 25 years before it finally died a year ago.

    And guess what?! We LOVE our new TV.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I am so sorry for your loss :-(

    Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sooooooo resisted the whole "gigantic TV craze"...that is until I saw my son-in-laws and my sons EASY TO SEE behemuths that were very easy to see with my worn out old lady eyes. Oh ya, I caved and now can't stand to watch those small itty bitty 32" tv's. No, no, no, I LOVE all 52" of my big behemuth.

    I am so glad your want became your need...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! You crack me up! I hated it when my fridge died too - Ha ha!
    Enjoy your new t.v. (wink!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. yep, that old want and need question. It seems to come back and haunt all of us from time to time. Sometimes I just wish I did not have to choose!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I would have hastened its death. You know "accidentally" hit it with a couple shoes or something until it "needed" replaced. Enjoy the new TV!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you for holding out and sticking with your old TV. But good for you for getting a fancy new one! :)

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!