Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Her Golden Birthday!

Twenty years ago
today,
I woke to the first frost of the season
in Spartanburg, S.C.
and to my water breaking
just as my feet hit the floor
that morning.

A great thrill 
went thru my whole body
as I realized 
this baby was coming on her
due date!!

It was a short, easy labor
and before I knew it,
there she was!
My sweet little girl,
Diana.

So to Celebrate,
here are 20 Random Things
about my Nana-doos:

1-At One Year Old, she'd crawl to her bed, 
hold up her arms, 
to be picked up and put in it to go to sleep. 
She never cried about taking naps either.
2-At 2, she liked to wear costume jewelry every day.
3-On her 3rd birthday,
we gave her a playset of "The Wizard of Oz"--
when she saw the witch, she yelled, 
"The Witch? You got me the witch?!"--
then tossed the witch across the room!
4-She was terrified of helium balloons until she was close to 4 years old.
5-At five years old, she hated spiders. She also hid poptarts under her pillow, as well as other treasures, away from her siblings. I loved making her bed in the mornings, because I knew there was gonna be a surprise under her pillow!
6-At six she loved school and her best friend was Hilary.
7-At 7, she loved the green fields of Wales and the Beefeaters at the Tower of London.
8-At eight years old, she was baptized.
9-Her comfort foods include: mashed potatoes and sushi.
10-She wore braces for two years.
11-She loved her 4th-5th grade teacher, Mrs. Gutekinst.
12-She played handbells in elementary school.
13-Plays piano now.
14-She would walk quite a ways down the way 
to walk by a particular boys' house. She thought I didn't know.
15-As a freshman, she won an audition for a High School production by singing,
"How Can I Not Love You?" from Anna and the King.
16-At 16, she worked afterschool and on weekends when Mr. W was outta work.
She bought her own homecoming dress for $4.99 at Ross!
17- She loved her Seminary teacher, Brother Fuhr, at Eagle HS in Idaho.
18-She still loves to sing. And was invited to be in her high school's production of
"Singin' In the Rain" by the drama teacher but declined so she could focus on her senior year grades.
19-Last year has been one wild year. She has been a nanny, going to school, dating, and progressing.
She is set to go to BYU-Idaho in January (Business Admin)
and hopes to begin a mission this time next year.
20- She loves her family. And especially her nephew, Garrett.

Happy Birthday, My Nana.

12 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Nana, I hope the day is full of fun, sun and special surprises. Dawn, you have raised a beautiful, intelligent, ambitious girl and you should be so proud.
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was a beautiful "tribute". I'm sure she loves her mama for that. (and all the other things you do)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice tribute to your daughter, she sounds like a wonderful person and she is beautiful to boot.


    Dawn you have a very special way of capturing the love you feel for your family, they are truely blessed to have you for their mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Diana! I loved learning more about her. She's beautiful inside and out. Excited about BYU I. She'll love it. (too bad my kids are no longer there)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great girl she is! And a lovely one.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to your beautiful young lady. What a lovely life she's had.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my!! Was it seriously a YEAR ago you were in Phoenix!! I remember it was her birthday that day, which I wish I had known before dinner so we could have made her a cake. I can't believe a year has passed already.

    But a big happy birthday to Diana!! I hope she has a wonderful day!

    And Dawn, if you can remember all that stuff from that long ago about one of seven children, I think you have an AMAZING memory!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Diana!!
    She is a beautiful girl :-D
    I LOVE the Golden birthday - I met someone the other day who didn't know what that was but it sure is cause for extra celebrating!
    Hope Diana and all of you are eating cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, have a wonderful birthday. What a great thing to do for your daughter!! I would work on one (or several) for each of mine, but alas, I fear my mind would break under the strain of so many memories!! I do love feeling your love for your family though. Thanks for sharing that wonderful tribute!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is a beautiful daughter, Dawn. Wish her happy birthday and may she receive many blessings in the years ahead.

    Have a great weekend,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks to everyone who commented! Diana loved reading them and sends her thanks too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much fun to read about your 'little one' now big :) Only a mom can share all those treasures with immunity :) Happy birthday to her - and best wishes with all her upcoming plans!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!