Monday, October 25, 2010

Of Brains, Whispers, and Gratitude

Where to start...

So I have encephalopathy
which affects my short-term memory.
This, you know already.

While it used to freak me out
and I mean
freak. me. out.
when I couldn't remember ordinary things
like my address
my phone number,
where I was going in the car--
all momentary lapses,
but still.

Nowadays,
I just give myself a minute to relax
and most of the time
my rolodex brain brings forth the lost information.
Or
I just give myself permission to not
know
and go forward.

The neurologist (took me 3 tries to get that spelling right--
I forgot about spell-check!)--
anyway,
the neurologist says there's nothing we can do about
whatever's going on in my brain,
but we established one trigger--
being tired.

I started working almost 2 months ago.
No, I can't recall the actual time--
it was around the time the yahoos
went back to school,
so I'm guesstimating here.

The job, it turns out
is more stressful than
one can imagine.
It's been in a state of transition,
as it moved from one location to the next,
new management,
new merchandise,
new procedures--
it all adds up to alot of stress.
Which, in my case,
adds up to less sleep.
=
blank spots in my memory
and
affects my speech
and now I notice,
my typing.

This post has taken me longer
than normal
because my fingers go all wonky
and it looks like a 2 year old's been
pounding piano keys.

Anyway,
there's a point to this--
Saturday at work,
it was super busy
because we had a
TENT SALE.

I was supposed to count the cash drawers out--
I counted one twice
and thought I'd counted the other one
once.
At the end of the day
however,
the numbers weren't adding up--
that's when I realized that
perhaps
just maybe,
my count had been off.

I wracked my brain
over and over.
Then my good friend, Kelly
asked me,
"You did count that, didn't you?"
I stood there, thinking as hard as I could,
and my rolodex brain just froze.
Nothing there.
But I couldn't think of a reason WHY
I wouldn't have counted both correctly,
so I said, "Yes."
But then, something I hadn't expected happened--
the Spirit said,
"No, you didn't."
I was filled with a horrible feeling.
Did I or didn't I?
Didn't I count them both?
I had written my count down on a peice of paper,
but someone had tossed it out.

So I couldn't really remember what the count was
and feel certain.

By the time I got home,
I sat in my driveway, nearly in tears.
How could I NOT have counted correctly?
For Pete's Sake,
I've been a bank teller.
I know how to count in and count out a drawer.
I tried to imagine what was in the drawer
that morning.
I could only remember that there were 114 ones.
114 ones?
Who keeps 114 ones in a drawer?

Nobody.
That's too many.

And what about the other drawer?
How much was in that one?
How many 20's?
nothing.
How many 1's?
Quarters?
Nothing.
It was then that I realized
I hadn't counted the other drawer at all.
And my heart sank at the realization
I had lied.
Not by design, but still.


I went inside the house,
and life took over the rest of the day.
At evening,
I told Mr W what happened,
and he says stuff like that happens all the time
and I shouldn't be so hard on myself.

Yeah, but it doesn't happen
or I should say,
didn't happen
to me.
Until now.

I asked for a Priesthood blessing
yesterday,
while our Home Teacher was here.
I really need the Lord's help with this trial.
In the blessing,
I wasn't told it would be healed.
I wasn't told that this is temporary.
I was told to lean on the Lord.
To ask for help from others.
To not listen to the voice of discouragement,
that that voice is not the Lord's.
I'll do fine in my job.
and the blessing that means so much,
that I'll remember my family always.
That last little part,
spoke to a real deep concern of mine.
I worry that one day,
I'll wake up
and I won't know my family.
So to have that fear assuaged
was such a tender mercy to me.

And now that I've had some time
to reflect on this,
there's something else I hadn't expected:
that the Lord was already guiding me
and speaking to me in the midst of this trial.
The fact that the Spirit spoke to me in the first place
and I heard it.
I am not alone in this human experience.

So this morning, my friend and manager called
and I told her what really happened.
My confession was met with understanding and support.
That's what makes her my friend.

I am feeling better.
My speech got a little off late last night--
Words wouldn't come out normally,
I had to "dig around" a little to find them.
I had a little vertigo this morning,
but I'm here.
And I know all the names and faces of my children today.
Can I just say I'm feeling very grateful for that
and not sound cheesy or melodramatic?
I am Grateful with a capital "G".

I know my struggles could be much worse.
I'm grateful this is all I have to deal with,
and I'm not alone in it.

10 comments:

  1. I know you don't know me, but I love your blog. That being said - thank you for posting this. When I read about the trials of others it helps me to find the courage to face my own. I've had a rough week myself. I am so grateful for the Gospel and the peace we get from things as simple as a whisper from the Holy Ghost and Priesthood blessings. I pray that you will be blessed with the things you need to face this difficult physical trial you are faced with. I can only imagine how hard that must be.
    With love - from a sister in Zion. :)
    I hope you have a good day today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((hugs))) it must be so terrible. Infact, I know it is because I have a touch of that same thing, especially when tired, although for a different reason. You need to be extra tender to yourself. That would be hard for a busy, dedicated mum though - to care for herself, learn to take rest, instead of being always available to care for everyone else and ensure, with your activity, their rest.

    I pray for you that you get everything you need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your "brain fog". But, that's what others around you are for-to ask them what your name is, if needs be! I too am grateful for blessings, and trials, and prayers, and the Holy Ghost. Remember: this too shall pass! Oh, and get plenty of rest, you amazing Momza!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you, Dawn. And I'm glad your blessing was so reassuring on that very most important point.

    Hugs.
    Sue =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This must be so incredibly difficult. I must admit that I have worried for you about forgetting your family. That blessing also answered my prayer for you.
    Get some rest and know we love you.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry. We are going through our own trials here and it helps so much to read about the trials of others. It makes me not feel so alone. I am so glad that you will always remember your family. That is the most important thing to remember! And don't forget that you will always remember your Heavenly Father. He will help you, He will guide you, If you just lean on Him. Maybe, you wrote this to help all of us be just a little more thankful for the blessings that we each have in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a difficult situation. I am sure it is a bit scary to be forgetting things. I have had twice in the past few months when I suddenly could not remember what I did a minute before. Once was while paying for a movie ticket. The boy handed me back my money and I was holding it in my hand when suddenly I didn't remember him giving it to me. I just stared at the money and then asked, "Did you give this to me?" I am sure he thought I was crazy since it had only been a few seconds. I can't remember the other time (probably a bad sign there as well:-) But with both instances, afterward I thought of you and what you are going through. I don't know if my experiences will repeat or if that was it, but both of them rattled me a bit. I am known for having a good memory, so to forget like that scared me.

    I am glad you received such a sweet blessing and that it was a comfort to you. It is also good to know you are surrounded by caring people who love you and are supportive. Best wishes. I will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that sounds incredibly unpleasant. I know what it is like to be unable to pull the right word out of my mind. Sometimes it is a more difficult word, other times it is something simple like "those things you cut with, oh yeah, scissors." I often forget what I am saying mid-sentence, too. So I can relate enough to begin to fathom how scary that would be.

    I'm glad you have the Lord on your side to help you (or at least comfort you). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "This I recall to my mind; therefore have I hope. It is of Jehovah's lovingkindnesses that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is thy faithfulness. Jehovah is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him." ~ Lamentations 3:21-24

    Truly, great is HIS faithfulness toward you!

    Dawn, would any of the natural medical practices help or slow down your disease? Like Chelation Therapy or a liver cleanse? Just wondering. We have a son-in-law that has some problems along this line.

    Just know there are many, many praying for you!

    Hugs,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry that I haven't been reading blogs much lately and missed out on this when it happened to you. I hope and pray that today you are feeling better. Thanks for sharing your struggles and your faith. It encourages all of us with our own trials and struggles. Be well-know that you are loved!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!