Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Real Few Days

Jen over at Denton Sanitorium invited her readers
to share the "Real Deal" of our lives--
I think I do this most of the time here at
Momza's House,
but loved her invitation so much,
I'm joining the party today.



Daisie went to her Homecoming Dance.
She found the dress THAT day.
It was 22.00 at Macy's.
It was also immodest, with a one-shouldered strap.
So Nana and I raced all over town looking for an appropriate
cover-up and found this one, one hour before the dance.

Nana fixed Daisie's hair. "Fixed" meaning wadding up into a knot. 


Where I spend most of my day-- 
grateful
but no fun.
truth.

 *****
Nana's Bday yesterday--
she and I spent the day together,
lunch
shopping
catching up.
Then in the afternoon,
 Pics were taken, and the birthday dinner commenced to being made:
Diana chose one of her favorite casseroles that I make,
and everyone got involved.
That's Joseph sitting on the counter, peeling shrimp.

 The Ingredients
 The birthday girl and helper with the finished dish:

   Rich Seafood Casserole
1 ½ lbs. unpeeled, large shrimp*
1 ½ c. dry white wine
¼ c. chopped onion
¼ c. fresh parsley sprigs or celery leaves
1 TB. Butter or margarine
1 tsp. salt
1 lb. bay scallops
3 T. butter or margarine
3 T. all-purpose flour
1 c. half-n-half
½ c. (2 oz.) shredded Swiss cheese
1 TB. Lemon juice
¼ tsp. lemon pepper
1 (7oz.) can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 c. soft whole wheat breadcrumbs
¼ c. grated Parmesan cheese
¼ c. almonds**
2 TB butter or margarine, melted
Hot Cooked Rice

Peel shrimp & devein, if desired. Set aside. * Easier: use ready-to-eat shrimp.

Combine wine & next 4 ingredients in a Dutch oven; bring to boil.
Add shrimp & scallops; cook 3 to 5 mins. or until shrimp turn pink.
Drain shrimp mixture, reserving 2/3 cup broth.
MELT 3 Tb. Butter in Dutch oven over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth.
Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.  Gradually add half-and-half; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
Add Swiss cheese to sauce, stirring until cheese melts.  Gradually stir in reserved 2/3 cup broth, lemon juice, and lemon pepper.
STIR in shrimp mixture and mushrooms.
Spoon mixture into lightly greased 11X7- inch baking dish. (If desired, cover and chill overnight. Let stand at room temperature 30 mins before baking.)
COVER and BAKE at 350o for 40 minutes
Combine breadcrumbs and next 3 ingredients; sprinkle over casserole.
BAKE, uncovered, 10 mins.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving. 
Serve over hot cooked rice.  YIELD: 8 servings.
** optional

 King Sooper's made her dessert of choice:




Now, while I was busy posting this blog--
here's the reality check:

ARI: "Mom, I need a magazine for science today."
"We don't have any magazines. Wait, what about the American Girl one you got yesterday?"
ARI: "NO! I'm not taking that--we're gonna cut it up!"
The she brings me "The Friend"--
"What about this?"
"No."
**

"Mom. Mom. Mom. Mom."
"Yes?"
nothing.
"Yes? I'm listening--?"
nothing.
"Mr. Hinkle saw what you wrote in my planner, 'bout the scouts thing,
and he wrote back, 'cool'."
***
::::dog whining in the background::::
"Will someone, has someone...fed the dog this morning?"
::dog continues to whine from her crate:::
(she's been let out already, but gets into things still,
so unless we're all paying attention, 
which we are not in the mornings,
she stays in her crate)
"Has anyone fed the dog yet?
Anyone?"
Joseph: "Uh I think, yeah, I did."
****
"Did you brush your teeth yet?"
Ari: "I just had orange juice, it's gonna be gross."
"You still have to brush your teeth."
Ari: "ugh."
"You have to."
Ari: :::Whining:::

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a typical day in the life, all right....

    That recipe looks deadly! But so, so good.

    =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your "fun" life, and THANKS for the recipe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so real every day. But this was fun.
    Sorry about the work thing. Keep your house in mind. It's worth it, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to know you are real too!! This was a fun challenge.
    I do have to say I love all the stuff where you work - I was invisioning it in my house (wishful thinking) but so sorry the job is not great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Cherie--I loved the pictures of where you work!! I would want to buy it all and redecorate! Best of luck with the job. I am sorry you aren't enjoying it more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that your living room? Or where you work?
    Either way it is so pretty!!! The dessert looks delicious by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Kendra: Nope, not my house. Where I work. And it is really pretty. The dessert was store-bought and it was delicious too!
    @Lori, Cherie,Lisa, Jen and Sue: Muchas gracias!
    This is why I follow your blogs too...keepin' it real and smiling anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you and your family seem so grounded. Lovely kids, lovely surroundings. Lovely you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The seafood casserole looks to die for! Really can't wait to give it a try - going into the menu for the week!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!