Friday, October 29, 2010

Trick or Treating on the Sabbath?

Every 7 years there's a bit of noise
in the cultured Universe about
Halloween being on a Sunday.
The dilemma, of course,
surrounding whether or not
people of faith
are going to participate in the
"trick or treating" celebration
or not.

I've lived in communities as a child,
where we simply moved the holiday to the
Saturday night,
and that was accepted by the community.
But that's not how it is here.

We have had this conversation in our own home
only 3 times with my yahoos.
(Remember,
my oldest is 27 and my youngest is 9.)
We don't trick or treat on the Sabbath.
We just don't.
We do have opportunities to celebrate though,
by going to our Church's
Trunk R' Treat during the week ahead,
and on the Sunday Halloween,
we'll make caramel apples or popcorn,
or some other treat
and we turn off our porch lights
so that our neighbors know
we're not participating in the
trick r' treating that year.
This year.

I'm not worried about offending my neighbors.
Those that know us,
know why.
We believe in keeping the Sabbath day holy.
We treat it differently every other week of the year--
my kids don't play on Sunday.
Sunday is Church and Family Day.
Just because a holiday falls on it,
doesn't change
how we honor the Sabbath.
This is how I "mother"-
I don't want my kids to rationalize away
what
"Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy"
means,
just like I don't want them to use the phrase:
"Everybody else is doing it!"
or
"You let us play last Sunday!"

Nope,
that's just not an argument I want.
It is unnecessary.
What we're talking about is pretty benign:
playing dress-up and going around to get some candy.

Well we did that already this week at the church party.
And the kids are having a party today at school.
Then on Sunday,
we'll have special treats with the family.

I think that's enough.

And I also look at it like this is just
One Halloween Sunday in the
Trick or Treating Life
of my yahoos,
maybe two
ever.

My oldest kids survived skipping it,
with no apparent damage to their self-esteems
or egos,
and maintained their neighborhood friendships
just fine.
So I think our family philosophy works for us.
And I don't have any negative feelings about those
whose philosophy differ.
That's what so cool about choosing your own standards--
you get to decide what they are in the first place
and how you want to live them.

These are our standards.
This is who we are.
 It feels good to have these small defining moments
come along once in a while
that encourages us to review our choices
n' see if we still feel the same way.

What's the deal in your family?
Inquiring minds wanna know.

I found another link about this same topic
you might enjoy too.
http://www.mormontimes.com/article/18016/Tiffany-Gee-Lewis-Is-the-Sabbath-day-trick-worth-the-treat

22 comments:

  1. yep thats how I feel. And now that mine are in their late 20's they laugh at how mad they were?? I mean there were certainly enough church/school/community parties that they DID NOT loose out of teeth rotting candy! ah memories~

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Lisa: Exactly! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will be trick or treating. I also very much respect your decision and the reasoning behind it and the way you've explained it. We all have to interpret and choose based on what we believe to be best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Liz: Hey, thanks for sharing! You are so right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree with you. We've had a fun party with the grandkids and are going to the "Trunk or Treat" Sat. Our lights will be off Sunday night. I didn't allow my kids to trick or treat on Sunday when they were little. But that's our family's personal choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you completely, and it's the philosophy we have over here at our house too. We went to the Ward's Trunk or Treat, we'll go trick or treating at the Academy on Friday, and that's plenty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No treating here. We'll all survive. I'm sure of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You just said it EXACTLY how I have been telling people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is imperative (but often hard!) to stay true to your core values. Good for you!

    The saddest thing to me about this whole issue is that people don't realise what Halloween is really about. It is a highly sacred time at which our ancestors honoured their dead. Witchcraft wasn't even invented back then, and the modern Halloween looks nothing like it used to when it was Samhain and, later, All Hallow's Eve. I feel so sad that the media and commercial outlets have trashed what is a beautiful and holy festival.

    Which is why I don't celebrate the Americanised Halloween, and never have. We don't serve trick or treaters at our door and actually usually keep our gate closed. My dd is not allowed to go trick or treating - although once we did go around our neighbourhood, with her dressed as a fairy, to give cakes to people. We honour the divine as revealed in nature and the cycle of life, and would never think of mocking the dead the way they do in this modern Halloween.
    Sorry for such a long comment! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. No kids at home, but when I did have, the rule was no Sunday treats. And they definitely survived!

    =)

    PS. Come check out my new Halloween story-poem. It's downright creepy!

    A Halloween Tale of Terror

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is how I feel too. we are going on Saturday to the church for trunk or treat. The girls have a halloween party tonight. I will buy additional candy if needed. Our lights will be off, but we will have a family celebration and a family night on Sunday. I do believe it is a personal choice and don't mind anyone else making a different decision. All my older kids had the same rules and I don't see any of them suffering because of it. We have kept several dentists in business over the years!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well said and we do the same thing.
    One difference for us this year is that in the past our community always supported trick or treating on the Saturday night. This is the first time in all the years we have lived here that the City Councils of all the cities were brought into it and they decreed (on every news channel) that Trick or Treating would happen on Sunday night. Ugh.
    But we do have our Ward Party Saturday night - I'm in charge! There will be no tears...I hope!!

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  13. P.S. I was driving down Fairview (near Eagle) today and there is a great big Christian church - you know the one. They had big huge signs out front advertising their huge Halloween party/slash Carnival all day on Sunday - Jump houses and carnival games galore.
    Oh my! Just had to laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There's so many ways to celebrate the Holiday at home with family and still honor the Sabbath. That would be a tough one though with little ones at home, but starting when they are young seems like it would make future decisions that much easier for them to make.

    That's one of the principles I love - that each family gets to choose what type of activity is appropriate for their family and circumstances on the Sabbath.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  15. BTW - LOVE Sugarland - looking up "Stuck on you", can't wait ;)

    KK

    ReplyDelete
  16. We've chosen not to trick or treat on Sunday as well. That's what is right for us. My kids are too young to even care anyway : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. It wasn't even a question if we'd go. I do feel a little bad we're not going to pass out candy. We may have some friends over to play games with tomorrow. I do feel sorry for the teachers Monday morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are absolutely going trick or treating. Although it's nice to have the option of doing it on Saturday, where we live, it's scheduled for two hours and that's it. I don't really see much of a conflict. We just have fun with it. It's a family time for us, and we have fun seeing the other kids in the neighborhood come by our house, too. Maybe if we were going to have a seance or something that would be freaky, but my kids are going as a policeman and train conductor. Pretty tame stuff.

    And I'm a little curious what you mean by not letting the kids play on the sabbath. What do ARE they allowed to do? Read scriptures? The Friend? Scratching my head over that one...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just wanted to add that we've been forced to make some huge sacrifices by being Mormon in an area where we are the only ones. It's been an eye opening experience, and I have learned there's a fine line to be walked between being true to your faith and being the freaks. I don't think this is a sacrifice we are being asked to make, and I do believe it helps us feel closer to our neighbors, something that is very hard to do when the most popular past time is drinking.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My kids are too big for the whole "are we going" thing to be an issue. We will be handing out candy, though. Las Vegas is a very isolating place; people work all sorts of jobs at all sorts of odd hours, and there really aren't many opportunities to meet your neighbors. The annual 'walk the neighborhood and say hello with individually wrapped refreshments' event is one we just don't dare miss. That's all. And I think it's great that you do what is right for you and the circumstances in which you live. You're the goods, Momza!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Ana: Since you asked: Our Sunday Schedule, typically: church at 11am-2pm., the rest of the day is spent baking a treat (we all like cooking together), hanging out, playing games, taking naps, reading, etc. When I say we don't play, I mean the yahoos don't play on Sunday with their friends. It's a family day. Our family has lived in the South where LDS' are considered odd, so I may have an idea what you're talking about/how you might be feeling.
    Do what you feel is best.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loved the part about the "defining moment". Yes, that is exactly what these decisions are. Sabbath devotion is a private thing, the depth and scope of it. Isaiah has something to say about it. Isaiah 58:13-14... Thanks, it's nice to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!