Friday, November 12, 2010

A Unique Gift Idea-- with help from the Jr. League of Colorado!

For my oldest son's birthday
this year,
I was clueless as to what to give him.
I looked online for gadgets
I thought he might like;
I looked around at stores
I shop at regularly
like Target and Kohls--
nothing stood out though.

It all seemed like "stuff"--
and if you know me at all,
you know
I don't like to give just "stuff" as gifts
for the sake of giving.
It's gotta mean something.


Well last week I saw this at the grocery store
of all places

The Junior League of Colorado Classique Cookbook

I thumbed through the pages,
and fell in love with this cookbook!
The recipes are so "Coloradoan"
and the photography is beautiful enough to rip 'em out and frame!

But I don't have to tell you not to do that, right?
Don't.

So as I'm looking at this gorgeous book
I realize this would be a great gift for my grown manboy,
whose always cookin' something up in the kitchen!

I got it home,
drooled over the pages,
and an idea popped into my head:
Write In It.
Write personal notes to David Scott
all over it--
so I did.
Almost everydish was photographed on a white plate,
so on the edge of all those white plates,
I wrote love notes to my livin-in-Idaho-boy,
and I wrote "remember when" stories,
and I commented on the recipes themselves!

I just had so much fun
personalizing this cookbook!
My yahoos know I love Colorado.
If Colorado was a person,
I'd stalk it.
I love the mountains,
and the pines,
the weather,
and the natural beauty of the whole stinkin' State!
I'm addicted to it and I'm never lookin' fer a cure.
So it was like I gave a bit of "me" to my son,
and then added my scribbling all over it!
And, the bonus is that it's supporting the
Junior League of Denver--
women who are dedicated to strengthening
their community!
Gotta love that right?

I talked to my boy last night--
he got the cookbook and loves it!

So that's my new gift idea--
how simple and fun is that?!!

I think it could work on alot
of different types of books--
poetry books,
or FAR SIDE books or similar genre,
Fancy Calendars (you could write notes on special days!),
coffee table books of places you've been together,
or places you want to go,
the possibilities are endless--
you could even take a favorite book off your own bookshelf
and personalize it!
Think about it!

So that's my brilliant idea.
Only one confession here today:
David Scott's birthday was in August.

8 comments:

  1. What a great idea!! I love it!! I have a couple daughters who love cookbooks and I just made calendars for my three youngest with pictures of the three of them on every page. What fun to do as you suggest and now write love notes to them on the pages!! I think this is especially great for my three kids who live away.

    Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good idea! Cookbooks are the best. How fun to have a local one!
    Love the idea of comments and notes to them.
    You are an amazing mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect gift idea!

    My sister started a similar trend in our family when she gave me a "Sisters" book several years ago and wrote personal notes all the way through it. Since then, I've done the same several times.

    It's really time-consuming, so I save it for those extra special gifts, but what a neat thing it is to receive.

    Never thought of doing it in a cookbook, which is really cool. Ours have always been quote or "saying" books. I like your cookbook idea, too, because of all the love and memories around food. And adding in the Colorado stuff makes it even better.

    Thanks for sharing this!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I SOOOO didn't see that last line coming. I think I guffawed.

    I'm adopting this idea. I got my new SIL a set of McConkie's Messiah books, and I'm going to write testimony in each book. Thanks for a fantastic idea.
    Can I just tell you how much I love your blog? I wished you still lived here so we could be friends and you could stalk CO permanently.
    But I know you'd hate it, so never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea!

    August? Are you late or realllllyyyy early?

    Hope you have a very blessed weekend.

    Hugs,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the suggestion. This looks AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  7. David and I had a great time thumbing through the recipes and finding your sweet comments! What a great idea! We love the book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Dang Dawn, that last line had me laughing right out loud, you are a hoot. I L.O.V.E. the Jr league cookbooks. I am a cookbook fanatic, and the kicker, is I don't really cook, just collect cookbooks and I would love a cookbook with special notes written all over it. You are brilliant to perfection.
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!