Wednesday, November 24, 2010

For the Love of EggNog as per Laurel's Request

Hazelnut-Egg Nog Punch

Prep: 7 mins.  Other 1hr.,15 min.

2 c milk
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1 (3") cinnamon stick
6 c refrigerated or canned eggnog
1 1/2 c Frangelico or other hazelnut liqueur
1 c whipping cream, whipped
1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
Grated Nutmeg (optional, but c'mon!)

Combine first 3 ingredients in a small saucepan; place over medium heat, and cook until hot (do not boil), sitrring often.
Remove from heat.
Cover and let stand 30 minutes.
Scrape vanilla bean seeds into milk mixture.
Cover and chill.  Discard vanilla bean and cinnamon stick.
Combine chilled milk mixture, eggnog, and hazelnut stuff in a punchbowl; fold in whipped cream.
Scoop ice cream into punch; stir gently.
Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg.
Yield: 15 cups.


Other Random things about EggNog:

You can freeze eggnog in its original container for up to a year. When ready to use, thaw, frozen in the refridgerator overnight, and shake well before opening.
Keep canned unopened eggnog in a dark cool spot in the pantry for up to 18 mos.

Refridgerated Eggnog tastes best.

Eggnog Butter (great on belgian waffles!)

1 c butter, softened
1/2 c sifted powdered cugar
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp rum extract (or not)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Beat butter at high speed until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Stir in nutmeg and extracts. Cover and chill. Yield: 1 1/4 c.

For other facts about EggNog.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE it! My own personal blog post! :) Plus, the recipe looks yummy. I think I'll make the Mormon version of it and omit the liqueor.

    I'm feeling all-powerful at this point... what if I request ANOTHER blog post? A tell-all, "National Inquirer" type post? Ha ha! ;)

    Thanks for the recipe, Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Laurel! I've never tried the eggnog recipe--I usually chug the eggnog right outta the big ol' jug--ice cold. But I'm thinkin' that adding some vanilla ice cream and whipped topping and nutmeg on top sounds pretty tasty too.
    As for another request--I'm like a 7-11--so Open there's a breeze blowing through! I don't think there's much left to tell on this blog that anyone even wonders about?!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely forgot that I have eggnog in the fridge! Yayayayayay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a big fan of eggnog, but a lot of my relatives like it.

    =)

    PS. Have a great Thanksgiving weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, we love eggnog here and make it ourselves every year. And if you really want to do something amazing with it, take out the ice cream freezer and make eggnog ice cream. It is our favorite and it is something everyone enjoys (with a cup of hot cocoa, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My 14-year old is so nuts for nog that he seriously starts asking in October when we can go buy some.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!