Saturday, February 19, 2011

UpStaged! Tips for Updating Your Home

Spring's a-comin'--
being cooped up
during the winter months,
forces us Mother Hens to look closer
at our little nests--
and our noggins start cookin' up ideas
to change the looks of our nests, right?

Here are some ideas to give you a starting point:

Stand in your Entryway.
Look around at everything you see
from that viewpoint.
Take pictures from right there.
And get out your measuring tape
for wall spaces you want to fill,
window spaces,
walk ways, etc.

Alot can be decided from right there--
start with the paint--
when was the last time the house was painted?
If it was more than 5 years,
chances are the color is dated
or could use a fresh coat.
Note the textiles--
window treatments,
rugs,
carpet...
if you love 'em,
have them cleaned;
if they're faded or dated,
start shopping around to replace them.

The trend in the U.S. right now
is natural fibers:
linen
burlap
jute
raw silk.
The look is called
"Sanctuary"--
which brings words like
relaxed
calm
soothing
to mind.
The heavy Tuscan-inspired-blacks
are on the sidelines these days
as more and more people are creating
their own
"havens" to get away from the world.

Okay, so back to the Entryway--
look at the lighting sources from where you are--
the one in the entry
over the diningroom
table lamps
kitchen lights, etc.
It's amazing how much a difference
an updated light fixture adds to any room.
And replacements are usually very budget friendly.

The entry is a great place to start,
and it's the first glimpse our visitors get into our homes--
just after our Welcome Mat--
which could always be freshened up too!

I'll add some more tips this week
and pics of the home we're working on.
Don't forget to take your own Before and After pics
of your projects!!
It also helps to take the camera with you when you shop,
so you can visualize the space you're buying for with more
accuracy.
ALSO, take a notepad and measuring tape with you shopping,
I can't tell you how many shoppers come into the store daily,
and ask to use one of ours--
which is fine, because we have them readily available,
but it might be harder if you're in a store that would be
difficult to track one down.

Anyway,
if you're working on a project right now,
I'd love to see your post and share it here with everyone else.
So let me know!

Happy Updating!

8 comments:

  1. This is great, and I look forward to more tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips. I actually had two women come in on Wednesday and do a deep clean. My house feels so good! We are having another open house in a couple of hours, and I am having my realtor take more pics. He's a friend, so I might ask him if I can be the one to take them.

    One thing I actually ended up doing was taking away some things. I took off the little IKEA mirrors flanking the sofa, and removed a large vase with long bamboo sticks in it. And some other minor things. It makes it feel less cluttered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your tips. The idea of standing in your entry hall and taking stock, so to speak, is a good idea. After all it is the first impression people have of your home.

    I have to admit I do not like the burlap/fiber trend. It is so blah to me because I like color. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to you stage me.
    I have NO creativity at all.
    I see something I like and I can't even duplicate it.
    I need to make some changes and shake things up a bit. I would love to see some pictures of your befores and afters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Working on the floors this month, but really need to do all the windows too. Thanks for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think my entryway needs a new light fixture.

    And I also need to paint the house!


    =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, GREAT I need all the help I can get.. now my moms house is a different story, she will not listen to a THING I say...

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!