Saturday, March 5, 2011

Short Term Memory Loss--What I'm Doing About It

I've been getting a ton of hits on my recent post,
"The Good Things About Memory Loss"--
which tells me one of two things:
a) alot of people are experiencing this problem themselves and looking for answers
or
b) it's the same person.

Which has prompted me to share what I'm doing to help my own self with memory loss.

So here we go:

  • I talk about it. Openly. To my husband, my kids, my friends, my doctor, my kids' teachers--anyone and everyone I may be accountable to in any way.  They need to know I'm going to forget things--even important things--once in awhile, and I'm not an irresponsible idiot.  I can't control what "sticks" in my brain and what doesn't.
  • I've had the medical tests run--Catscan, MRI, EEG or was it EKG?--the brain scan thing with the lights flashing, etc., blood tests, etc. done to rule out things like tumors, stroke, and whatever else can affect memory. I'm on Lipitor for high cholesterol--which does contribute to memory loss.
  • I keep a pad of paper in my purse and pens so I can jot things down on the run.
  • I make Lists: things I need to do, people I need to call, emails that have to be written, stuff I need to buy.
  • I write notes on my hand. I do. I know that sounds tacky, but if I have to pick up a kid from piano lessons at 5:15, I know that I may lose track of time doing something else, so I have "P/U Ari 5:15 on my hand.
  • I take vitamin supplements --a multi-vitamin, Vit E, Vit D, and three others specifically for Memory loss: one is called Recall Support and I get that from The Vitamin Shoppe, and there's two others that enhance it. They make a difference--ask my friends and family, they'll tell you! Oh and I don't take in phenylalanine or aspartame--both are known contributors to brain dysfunction and memory loss. No kidding. Look it up.
  • I know what triggers my "bad days" ie: the days I don't drive, the days my words get jumbled up or my brain feels "foggy"--lack of sleep or unrestful sleep, not eating enough protein, and stress.  I go to bed early, I make sure to get some protein in me at dinner, and I give myself permission to let go of things that unnecessarily stress me out and deal with the real stuff more logically than emotionally. A new saying of mine is "It is What it is."  That line of thinking and dealing is good for me.
  • I realize that I'm not in total control of what lies ahead, so I try to focus on what's really important to me and my family and do that.
  • Exercising my mind. Things like reading, writing, learning something new, being creative all help keep the mind active and alert. And that helps.  Watching TV does not.
  • Exercising my bahooey.  Taking a walk, a hike, Zumba class, swimming--whatever gets the blood going and pumping oxygen to the brain helps clear cobwebs too.  
  • Humor. Laughing at the flubs helps alleviate the anxiety of the reality of losing my mind. 
So that's my stuff. Some days are rough and frustrating. Especially when I forget stuff that's really important to me, like appointments, phone numbers, names of people I know I should know, etc.  But really, most days are okay. Somedays I never want to forget, and those days, I take pictures, write notes, keep a journal, blog about, and say a quiet prayer of gratitude for.

Okay, now:


8 comments:

  1. My hubby takes ritalin, or Vitamin R as we like to call it, to help fire up the brain cells.
    It's great that you can talk about it so openly. We can't, people start treating us differently. Yes, especially in the Ward, but thankfully not at the Temple where my husband is a temple worker 2 days a week (I'm a temple worker only 1 day a week). Our home teacher has learned to double check with me about home teaching appointments. What is really funny looking back is that my hubby's ex wife asked me at her daughter's baby shower if I was going to put John in a nursing home. She meant soon, and that was just shortly after his diagnosis. Boy was her timing bad (baby shower), and she is nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post on memory loss, Dawn. As I've mentioned before, mine seems to be shorting out as well, and I am doing many of the same things you are.

    Thanks for giving me some new ideas, as well. I love both your attitude and your creativity in dealing with the situation.

    It IS what it is. And I like how you're doing it.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well friend...I've come to a conclusion of what it boils down to....our lives are soooo full and we can't keep track of everything going on at a certain moment. Of course, there's also my second theory of every time you have a child you give up 50% of your brain cells....Honestly I am leaning towards the second!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so great to talk about a very common problem. Good for you!! I do the same things with lists. If it is not written down in front of my nose, I won't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, I have SOOO missed you. I know you haven't gone anywhere :)

    Second, I <3 this music on your blog. I don't usually like autoplayers, but I might leave your site open so I can just listen. Boy, that will whack your analytics, won't it?!

    Third, bwahahahaha at the or b) it's the same person!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to frame that picture and post it to my face.

    It's awesome that you can tell what triggers the problem!

    You're funny. I like you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL Same person (over and over again).

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a wonderful sense of humor :-). I'm new to your blog and have spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did. You've created a lovely spot for your readers to visit. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!