Monday, March 28, 2011

Step-Parenting: A Blessing in our Family

When I got married at age 20,
I thought it would be like a Randy Travis song
"Forever and Ever, Amen."
I wasn't a fickle girl.
I made my choice and was "in it to win it".
I wanted to be his wife,
his friend,
his companion.

The problem was pretty simple
now that I see it some 29 years later:
he didn't want any of that.
And I'm not going to psycho-analyze him
all these years later-
sucha a waste of time and energy,
suffice to say,
I matured and decided to divorce the bumholio,
er, that guy.

I was going to be a single mom til the day I died,
the ex assured me of that
about two bazillion times.
Afterall, what kinda man would marry a woman
with five children--
one of which is special needs?
The list,
if there was a list,
was definitely short--
the odds were not in my favor.
But, whatever, ya know?
The truth is,
it's better to be alone
than to be abused.

In a truly tender mercy kinda way,
Heavenly Father brought Mr. Wonderful
in my life.
He was a grown-up.
Responsible in every way.
If he said he was going to do some-thing
any-thing,
he did it.
I could trust him in the little things
as well as in the big things.

And when he asked me to marry him,
I told him that I would,
but that he had to understand that in my life
he was going to be the "Caboose"--
my first responsibility was to my children
and if he would help me raise them
to be
responsible,
loving,
faithful
adults
I would love him forever and ever.

He agreed and we began the journey
into Step-parenting/Co-Parenting
my five children
and then added two more of our own
in the mix.

It's going on twelve years now,
and I can tell you,
it's better than I thought it could be,
but not as easy as I hoped.
In fact,
it's as much a work in progress
as any other relationship.

As I have watched my non-divorced friends
with their families,
I haveta say we came out pretty good,
comparably.
Mainly because relationships are built on
trust,
respect,
and the big -C: communication.
And guess what?
That's something EVERYONE has to work on.

Step-parents get a bad wrap because the expectations
coming into a broken home
are sometimes unrealistic.
We're looking for and need alot of healing
from the past broken relationship,
and lots of emotional "duct-tape" if you will...
so when a new "parent" steps UP
sometimes we forget that they too,
have things they're working on
and they're not perfectly prepared for
the myriad of expectations that lay ahead.

Parenting is alot of trial and error--
even when the kids are your own
"flesh and blood"--
and Step-Parents deserve credit for being willing
to try in the first place!

When Mr. W first joined our family,
the oldest was nearly 15...
teen years are difficult--
I don't care who you are!
Mr. W didn't always know how to handle
an angry or sometimes apathetic young man,
but I can tell you this,
he tried to do right by him.
The best compliment to this was when David Scott
was on his mission,
he sent home a letter to Mr. W and in it,
expressed his love and appreciation for all
Mr. W had done for him personally,
and for our family.

As each of the first five have come into maturity,
they've all handled themselves and US
differently--
just as any non-divorced family would expect.
It takes a while to figure out how to keep the channels
of communication open,
how to love them when they're not especially lovable,
and how to navigate through the rougher days and nights
that adolescents plough through.
It takes alot of patience and perseverance,
and LOVE.

Mr. W has a great capacity to stay calm when I am not.
There've been times when it was easier for the kids to go to him
and not to me;
when he's had to be the strong loving parent
when I was ready to burst in frustration.
And conversely,
he's done his best to support me when I needed his support.
I don't think the kids ever thought Mr. W wasn't in my corner.

They each have their own relationship with my husband.
Some call him "Dad" and some don't.
They all have their own nicknames for Mr. W.
But what matters is at the end of the day,
they know they can call on him at all
and he will answer that call.

He has been at every graduation,
every mission farewell and homecoming,
every Temple wedding,
and baby blessing
and he will continue to be there.
Cuz, as Diana says so sweetly,
"that's what being a parent is--
being there when they're needed."

In this day and age,
perhaps we can the change stigma that comes
from the likes of Cinderella's "wicked step-mother",
to a better understanding of the individuals that
STEP-UP to parenting children who need them?
Mother's Day is coming up,
followed quickly by Father's Day--
two very good opportunities to say
"Thank you."

So thank you, Mr. W. for helping me
raise our children into
responsible
loving
faithful
adults.
I love you
forever and ever amen.

16 comments:

  1. I didn't realize you were a blended family.

    I wish I could say that my step-mom was as awesome as Mr. Wonderful. Her own kids called her out, one Christmas, regarding the disparity between how she treats my siblings, vs. her kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kristina P.: Did the "calling out" make a difference? That is not an unusual situation--we have had those kind of conversations here as well. Because I love all 7 of the children the same exact way, I think it keeps things more even. But not always. It's something we continue to work on. But that's an issue that's common in alot of non-blended families as well, in my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Step-parenting is the hardest thing to do. There is a fine line that I have to watch with my stepsons. Luckily, I have a good relationship with the boys and their mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is wonderful, and hopefully will help all divorced women... being divorced at church is REALLY hard. Then if marriage comes along again the whole step-parenting thing is a tight rope walk! We are five years into this and with 6 kids between us... we are managing well. This was a great post. such love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet post. What a great guy you have. So nice to be assured that Heavenly Father looks out for us and is aware of our situations in this life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you hit the jackpot the second time around. That's exactly what happened to my mom.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet post. I'm glad you found your Mr. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad it all worked out for you and you now have Mr. Wonderful! Congratulations! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope Mr. W. reads this. What a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Monza! I just hopped over from 4th Frog's lily-blog, and I'm hooked on this frist post. What an amazing tribute. I have been married to my Mr. Wonderful for almost 12 years. He has been the most amazing dad to the son he got in the package with me, as well as the two we added to the family, and the nephew who came to live with us 5 years ago. Their relationship reminds me of the song, "The Dad He Didn't Have to Be" I can't remember who sings it now, but you'd know what I mean. Thanks for sharing! And cheers to "step" dads. Although, we don't have any steps in our house :-)

    Sheri in CA

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved your story. You are not only a survivor but a strong woman with tenacity and grace. I'll be back to read more. Thank you for sharing your story of love.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I could have met him when I was in your neck of the woods! Thanks for sharing. I've been thinking of you and wondering how you are doing since your Diana left. {hugs}

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't know all that about you, thanks for sharing tho. I have a sweet sweet sister-in-law who has stepped in to help raise my niece and nephew. She is amazing and loving and kind and it is SO hard to watch her have to stand aside sometimes because she's not mommy and the kids' know it. It's never easy. I hope someday those monkeys grow up and see how blessed they were to have this woman love them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for this, I also had a first marriage that ended in divorce and was a single mom to a darling sweet girl for a few years. When Mr. Wonderful came into our lives he feel in love with my sweet little girl first and then with me. 13 years and three more kids later we are so lucky and blessed. She called him the "meanest daddy in the whole wide world" one time and we never let her live it down. Eight months ago she moved in with her biological dad and she has realized how much my husband really loves her and how much he sacrificed for her. He is her "Daddy" in every sense of the word. Keep up the good work that you do it inspires me every day. Emily Foster

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've stopped by a few times, but never commented (I think). But I just wanted to applaud this post! It's so true that communication is key, and just because you've never been divorced doesn't mean you have a happy marriage. Marriage is work, or I should say a good marriage takes work. It's hard, but it's a great hard. I'm glad I stopped by today-thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I SO admire an individual that can take on a 'ready-made' family.

    I married a wonderful man that did the same. I only had one little one but he has loved her like his own and she has for always called him dad.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!