Friday, April 15, 2011

Mom Interrupted

I write my blogs early in the morning--
usually just after Mr. Wonderful leaves for work,
before the yahoos and the dog get up,
but just before Daisie leaves for Seminary.

One day this week however,
I lost my mind and was trying to pluck out a few lines
while the yahoos were getting ready for school.
Normally, it's not that big of a deal--
I let them watch TV until 7:30-ish,
then I start coaching them along--
"eat breakfast"
"practice piano/clarinet/violin"
"feed Kota"
"take Kota out"
"brush your teeth"
etc...
Mornings are non-events for the most part.
Hey, I'm down to three yahoos at home now.
I've earned whatever peace and quiet,
harmony and melody I can get these days.
I even told my doctor that since I'm down to three,
I'm considering taking up drinking now--
I was sober for seven,
I can do three, drunk.

Anyway--back to the other morning--
from the loft/study I heard
the youngest two going at it
loud and strong--
Boofus: No! You Don't!
Caboose: "Yes! I Do!"
There was awhole lotta weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth!

Momza: "Hey! Hey! Guys! What's going on?"

Come to find out, they're fussing over who loves the dog MORE.

So I put on my "Wise Mother" hat,
and offer:
"Guys, you're getting ready to leave our house and go to school.
It's going to be a long day. 
School can be tough. 
Don't you think you'd feel better if you're kind
to each other and make up before you walk out into the world? 
I love you both so much. 
It hurts my feelings when you're mean to each other. 
AND, you're both good pet owners. 
Kota loves you both. 
Can you think of something kind to say to each other 
before you leave the house?"

The Boofus and Caboose, in unison: "NO!"
They walked out the door
and down the street
together.

Set 'em up, Joe.

10 comments:

  1. This just made me chuckle, Dawn. Both in remembrance of these days and also because of your very funny last line.

    =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL !!! As our family left the nest, some of my patience flew away too...it was worse when a couple of them came back to the nest years later...just when I was in heaven leaving our bedroom door open anytime and not having to wear a robe every time I left it !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay that got my morning off on a good chuckle!! Thanks for that. Go easy on the hard stuff though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you and the way you blog! I love your new visiting teachers as well!

    oh, I thought you might enjoy a friend of mine's blog. he just got his first job out of school, and they just had their first baby as well.. check it out! www.branfam.blogspot.com

    this is one of my favorite posts (out of oh so many fabulous ones)
    http://branfam.blogspot.com/2011/04/keeping-it-real.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a good mom. Me? It would have been: "Knock it off! Go finish your breakfast! Enough fighting!"

    GO you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah kids! Mine will argue about the dumbest things too.

    I'll do just about anything to get them out the door in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hee! You are JUST too hilarious :D

    So glad we all have these same kinda days (and kiddo's ;)

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  8. My two youngest seem to be either at odds or BFFs. It gives me whiplash.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!