Saturday, April 9, 2011

President Obama, Have You Seen My Sock?

It's Saturday morning.
I slept in until my old woman bladder
made me get out of my warm bed,
where I noticed as my feet hit the floor,
that I had "lost" one sock overnight--
probably down at the end of my covers.

Yes. I sleep with socks on.
That's what old women do--
our feet get cold
because the circulation train is slower these days.

My bladder didn't care to look for the lost sock--
and that was how my day started.

I don't know if you've noticed,
but my blogging mo-jo up and died this last week.
I have had nothing to say--
really.
My days have been dictated by
my job--I've been working more than I've wanted
because we're down to 3 employees
and for reasons out of my control,
we cannot seem to hire anyone to work
for peanuts at a design store.
I think peanuts has something to do with it.
You'd have to have a complete passion
for design to want to work for peanuts--
or be like me and live 16 houses down from the store.
Which makes the morning commute a big honkin' peanut.

Seriously,
I can make a tank of gas last for three weeks.
Which is a big deal if you know that I drive a 2002 Suburban--
the beast that Obama wants me to trade in because of gas prices.
And I think he's right--
if you don't need a 9 passenger vehicle,
trade it in for a small little rice burner like the one Mr W bought last month--
he gets 35 mpg and loves it like a rock.
Or move 16 houses down from your job.

But, (here's where I make my personal plea to the ruler of the Free World)--
Mr. President Obama--I need my Suburban. Need it.  I have a huge family
and even when it's not full of immediate family,
we have little friends filling those seats--
so it's great for carpooling.
See what I mean? So in a way,
America needs ME to have this Suburban.
You're Welcome.


Okay. I feel better.

The other blasted thing that has stolen my blogging mojo is
my health.
I'm in my fiftieth year and lemme tell you,
the warranty is expired on this ol' body.
I'm goin' to h*ll in a hand-basket.
First it was my brain-- the memory rolodex wasn't flipping like it should.
Then, my awesomely fun night at the ER
with those shooting pains in my left arm...
which started the longest run on the medical treadmill
I've ever been on!
I wish blood had the exact exchange rate for money.
Because if it did,
then I wouldn't have to keep paying co-pays
everytime I go to the doctor.
They're taking my blood AND my money.
Something about that just doesn't seem fair.
Speaking of treadmills--
I get to go see a cardiologist and do a stress-test--
you know that's where they hook you up
and watch you run forever to see how badly in shape
you really are.
I'm thinking of calling the doc and seeing if they can just bring
their equipment to the YMCA
and hook me up in a Zumba class.
I think the overall experience would be much more fun
for everyone involved.
Heck, they could even get the nightly news channel 5 out there
and it could become a "thing"--
like Barney's "lemon law" from "How I Met Your Mother"--
it seemed unlikely,
but hey, it did, in fact, become a "thing".
I'll let you know how the doc takes my suggestion when I call them next week.
And believe me,
I'll take pictures!
The YMCA will love that.

Mr. Wonderful is doing his Saturday job--
the smell of bacon is wafting up to the loft right now.
I hope my girls find a man who loves to cook on Saturday morning,
because I'm pretty sure Mr W has spoiled them.
He makes us all individual omelets to order.
Cheese, ham, green peppers and onions. Yum.
Of course, I had to introduce him to cheese grits--
the ambrosia of my southern roots.
Don't tell my cardiologist about the Velveeeta aka plasti-cheese,
tho, kthankx.
My dad adds tabasco sauce to his grits.
Actually, my dad adds tabasco sauce to everything
but his coffee.
Hmmm.  Something ain't right about that.

Anywho,
between my job and my health,
I've been sitting on the sidelines here--
reading blogs I love and being inspired and feeling all
warm-fuzzy-ish this week,
even when I had no ambition to write my own.
Sometimes life is just like that--yeah?
Either we're in the race
or we're on the sidelines.

I'm looking for my running shoes,
but first,
I gotta find that missing sock.

Happy Weekend Everyone.

9 comments:

  1. Don't hold your breath on Mr Obama finding your sock.
    He has misplaced his birth certificate and can't seem to find that.

    I have missed your presence.....I have felt the void in the blogosphere.
    The black hole, the empty space.

    I understand however, you gotta get all practiced up for your BIG run.
    Hope you are doing well and enjoying some breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably have your sock. I wear them too!

    I have missed you. I hope you recuperate quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I think your blogging mojo is back!!

    As for the health thing, I'm feelin' ya. Seems like you and I have many of the same issues.

    No fun at all, is it? And yes, costly, too...

    "/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Weekend Momza - it's ok to take a break now and then. Sending a few hugs to you over these cyberlines :)
    ~An almost 50 year older~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the Zumba stress test is an awesome idea! Like you say you might as well have fun doing it! LOL And I've been on the blogging sidelines for a while. It's hard to get back in the swing, but I'm trying. You have such a great way or putting perspective on things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it is so good to read your blog. It is like comfort food to the soul--even if you are having a rough time of it.

    I am sorry about your health. I hope things get sorted out soon and your feel better again. I think it is so depressing to spend a lot of time at the doctor's office.

    And about your sock, or suburban . . . I get that. I drive a Tahoe. It cost me $70 to fill it yesterday. I could trade it in but then we would have to take two cars when we go out with friends, or have the family together. How would that save me money? And seriously, when gas is almost 4 dollars a gallon, it doesn't matter if you drive a suburban or a corolla, gas is still $4 a gallon. Doesn't Obama get that????

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like hearing from you- that you are well and I'm not the only 50 somthing that is falling apart!! Love your spin on life, rest your day off!! (haha with kids? haha)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes it is a good thing to be on the sidelines. I go through those low mo-jo blogging times and I do exactly what you did, sit a read blog after blog of my favorites. I even venture out and look at new ones. There are SOOOOOOO many talented people out there, it makes my head spin.

    I have been in my 50's for over three years now and...yes things are falling apart and slowing down. Just roll with it, that's what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope all is well with you. I hope your stress test goes great and that you get a clean bill of health. Mostly, I hope you enjoy your moment of relaxation, because life has taught me that I don't get near enough of those.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!