Sunday, May 29, 2011

Garden of the Gods

 HI, I'm Momza
and I'm addicted
to 
Garden of the Gods.
 I started "using" when I was 36 years old.

My boyfriend at the time
introduced me to it.
 He brought me here under the guise
of a 
"nice drive".

 Obviously,
I had no idea
what lay in store for me.
 The longer I go without it,
the more I need it...
 my thoughts compel me
to plan ways where
I can get my "fix"...
 I daydream about the beautiful ancient red rock formations....



 I try to hide my  addiction 
but my yahoos know.
They just know, alright.
I try to be all casual when the topic comes up of
"Whadd're we gonna do today?"--
I mention going to the mall
or Fox Run Park.
But then I subtly mention
"Garden of the Gods"--
hoping they'll jump in the car
and go with me.
I know,
I'm making them co-dependent
but 
 I just can't help it.



 I try to distract my mind on 
other places to go
other things to do
 but I'm helpless
to overcome
the call of this Garden.
 The pines beguile me
with their fresh scent...
 and the red rocks and dirt call my name
to bring my family and come play.
 That ledge right there...
that's where Mr. Wonderful 
asked me to marry him.
~
It's where our story began.
Where my "addiction" took root.
Mr W has shown no remorse in introducing me 
to nature's version of
ecstasy.
 So, is it wrong that I don't feel remorse for introducing
my babies to this environment?
Say it ain't so.



 The scrub oaks are sprouting their new spring leaves...
these same leaves will deliver the goods
in the fall when they turn the hillsides
crimson red.
How can anyone walk away from this grandeur
unaffected?


If loving this is wrong,
I don't wanna be right.

 Who can resist a nature-carved seat, anyway?
It begged me to sit and stay and soak it all up.
Any efforts to decline were squashed
and I took my place and sat awhile.





 See that boy?
That boy's been coming here since before he was born.
He knows these trails like the back of his hand.
This is his playground,
this Garden of the Gods.

 See that young woman? She's been coming here since she was a toddler of three years old.
She has her own niches that nature has carved out and she find new ones every time we come.
I taught her how to "use" here too...she's almost as addicted as I am.
I'm afraid there's no cure for her.


 And I can only hope,
with all the energy of my soul
that
when my children think of me,
they'll think of my blessed addiction too,


And know in their hearts
that some addictions
are
very 
very
good.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I couldn't agree more. I love the idea and wish that I lived close enough to go again. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. M~..
    yep.. the place is so AWESOME.
    addictive too..
    pics are wonderful..
    oh but seeing it for real!!
    amazing!!!
    thanks for sharing our bit of Colorado paradise..
    warmest sandy hugs..
    Loui♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! Seeing pictures like this remind me of how much I haven't yet seen. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I visited Garden of the Gods about 30 years ago. Now, thanks to you, I want to take my family. I'll let you know when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is beautiful.
    Don't try to go into rehab.
    It won't do any good.

    It's OK.
    You're not alone.
    I'm here for you.
    My garden is different
    but beautiful.

    Apparently it's a all over.
    This Garden.
    There are many addicts.

    Thanks for sharing your addiction.
    I won't feel guilty for mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So gorgeous, and so different from what we have here in the Sierras (which is gorgeous too, just different).

    And blogger/google is messing with me again.

    ~Moody~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I need to visit there someday.

    So beautiful.

    I can almost smell it myself.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Amy: When you decide to head this way, you know you have a place to stay!! We'd love to host your family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Tauna: Thanks for the validation! lol
    @Sue: Your invitation is wide open!
    @Moody: I've never been to the Sierras--tho the pics I've seen are heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful! I know what you mean, I feel like that almost everyday about my favorite mountains here nearby my home . . . just can't get enough of 'em!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!