Sunday, May 29, 2011

Last Day of School: Tissue, Please

Friday was the last day of school for my yahoos.
The last day.
Where has the year gone??
It just flew by, really.

I took the afternoon off from work
so I could attend Ari's class party
and help out with field games.
And also be a part of the
"Fifth Grade Clap Out".

I'd never done this in years' past,
in fact, never heard of it before,
but since Joseph is a fifth grader,
well, you know.

So this is how it went down:
All of the other students,
teachers, staff,
and parents
gather in a long line outside
and then the 5th graders
stream past everyone
giving high-fives and clapping hands
in celebration of the end of elementary school
for them.

Turns out this little ritual is quite emotional,
as many of the girls were teary-eyed
and even a few boys.
Then before I knew it,
I had a lump in my throat too.
I am such a sap!
I didn't, ya know, outright CRY
but man,
I felt like I coulda if I wanted to.
Sheesh.

When Joseph came around,
his face was stoic--
no emotion other than a look that said,
"this is no dang fun."

As soon as he got to the end of the line,
he circled around and came to me with a big hug and a
"let's go."
So we looked back over our shoulders
at the crowd of mushy parents, teachers and kiddos
and decided we'd better get the heck outta there
before we were one big pile of mush ourselves.

What happened to the days of busting through the school doors
yelling,
"YEA!!! NO MORE SCHOOL!!" ??
So much drama for elementary school.

IN the car on the way home
the conversation naturally turned to the scene we'd just left--
where Joseph admitted he was "a little annoyed" by all the drama
because he too, felt "like cryin' a little" towards the end.
He declared it was the best year ever due to an awesome teacher
who loves Shakespeare so much he has his students put on a performance
every year--
and those students love it so much
that they return with their parents long after they've left the classroom
going onto middle school and high school,
just so they can enjoy a Night of Shakespeare
with Mr.Hinkle, community legend.

I listened while both Joseph and Arianna
shared their days ups and downs,
reminisced about favorites--
everything from friends to lunchroom "fettucine alfredo";
and what they were looking forward to this summer.

Just about the time we were getting close to home,
Joseph grinned and said,
"Right when I was leaving,
a girl came up and gave me a hug.
Then she whispered in my ear,
"I've had a crush on you all year."

Did I mention he's using "axe" body wash?
And did I mention I am not having to threaten him
to shower
lately?

When I asked what's her name,
he grinned and did the motion of
locking his lips with an invisible key.

Mums the word.

Yeah.

And can you imagine the courage (!) that little gal mustered
to get those words outta her mouth?!

Sheesh.
Where's a tissue?

5 comments:

  1. Cute! whatta little stud.

    I like that "clap out" thing. How fun is that! I would love to run down a long line of people who wanted to give me a high five.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh. Young love! That is so sweet. I love the clap out idea. Although I am sure it would have made me tear up as well. I can join you in the sap club. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your family stories, thanks for sharing and a big thanks to your children for being such good sport about it.

    For some reason some blogs will only let me comment in the anonymous mode. It is not recognizing my google account.

    Hugs to you,
    Connie at ShadyCreekLane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last day of school is always bittersweet...if not for the kids, always for me! Oh and puppy love...too cute! I love that it makes hygeine a priority!

    ~Moody~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when my boys began to wear deodorant. That's when I knew they were on their way...

    ;)

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!