Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mother's Day Lists

My family asked me what I want for
Mother's Day,
this Sunday.

That's a loaded question.
Just ask any mother in the world.
So I answered them with this:

"I'd like to be disappointed
all day long and here's how:


I want all of you kids to be particulary ornery and messy
on Sunday.
And Dad,
I'd like you to alternate between being oblivious and cranky
while you deal with the ornery and messy children.

I'd like to get up early because one kid is puking
and another is crying.
Forget about breakfast in bed,
unless it's burnt eggs and cheerios.
I want a bad hair day
so if you could arrange for it to either snow or rain,
that'd be super.
Also, add a skirt that fits too tight, with a smudge of
kid-snot on the front of it,
and I'd be a lucky woman.

And it'd really be great
if the children look like hillbillies at church,
fight on the way there,
and if one could start crying during the prayer,
that'd just fix. my.life.

I'd like snarling from the grounded teenager whose
upset because she missed curfew.
And if she could act like I'm an inconvenience in her daily life,
that'd fit the bill!

I want to cook a big dinner and do dishes afterwards,
while everyone else peels off and does their own "thang".

Yeah,
I want that.
And to top of the day,
I'd like a big old-fashioned family throw-down
in the living room and end it with me in tears,
shaking my head and saying:
 "all I ever wanted was to be
a wife and mother,
and you people are ruining this experience!"

So yeah,
the only way to get what I'd really like
is to ask for all of that--
don't disappoint puhleez."

The whole family smiled and said,
"You got it!"

But if I could produce a legit
Mother's Day Wish List,
this is what it would be:

  • A Clean House.
  • No Quarreling for 24 hours...that's wakeful hours, sleeping hours do not count.
  • A full nights' rest between 8 to 10 hours of non-interrupted sleep.
  • Someone else to go through all the piles of papers on the desk. (I hate doing that!)
  • A Garage I can park my car inside of.
  • No Cooking for a Month! I don't care if we serve cereal and toast as long as noone complains!
  • Have my car detailed.  I love the "new car" smell instead of the "Wendy's old french fry" smell.
  • The backyard poop-scooped without complaining.
  • No text-messages asking for money, time, or attention for 24 hours.
  • A small amount of praise in the form of gifts and cards would be nice too.
What about you?  What's on your list?




* incidents/attitudes described above may or may not have happened in real life.

7 comments:

  1. I really don't think my kids even remember it is mother's day. Seriously. No one has said a word about it--even my husband. So I am keeping my expectations low so I won't be disappointed. :-)

    Your first list though sounded so much like my friend's typical Mother's Day. She always asks for a day where she doesn't have to cook or take care of children and what ends up happening is the kids all fight and her husband yells at them to behave and so she gets upset and ends up taking care of everyone anyway--and then is mad all day.

    I am mostly just sad that I won't have anyone home to hear fight or whine. It will just be me, Michelle and Wes. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...we can all relate!
    My hubby has had the chance to speak many times in church on Mother's Day. (Don't worry, for some reason he forgets he HAS a wife whenEVER he speaks in church). Anyway....I told him to NOT make the women feel like they are not as good as the next woman. He always does a good job.

    He KNOWS I detest Mother's Day. There are a couple of times that I took my girls, sis-in-law, friend and her girls and we headed to a cabin for the weekend. NEUTRAL ground! No one was expected to pamper anyone, therefore no one had high expectations. It was WONDERFUL!!! The only problem was....my mother didn't go and she was NOT a happy camper. Hey! She CHOOSE not to go. (I'm such an awful daughter)

    The End

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good list. I just want dinner and all of my kids at home or on the phone. (At home would be better, but whaddya gonna do?)

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to the long distant check in phone calls from my kids..as well as their cards which usually arrive on Saturday..
    I then share my day with my sis also via phone call..here at home is usually pretty low key..
    we prefer eating at home ..
    or perhaps a breakfast out and a drive..
    this year, we may go to the Botanical Gardens..
    maybe..maybe not..
    it will be sad because this is the first without
    my dear sweet mother in law..
    love and best wishes to all mom's out there!!
    Loui♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahaha! You're so cute.

    I don't really have a mother's day list. Maybe just to get through the day. I think I'll turn my cell-phone off unless I have the urge to play Angry Birds.
    Hope you get all the things on your "good" list! You deserve it!!

    P.S. Thank you so much for your sweet comment on Carrie's blog. You are a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right now - the only thing on my list is a night in a motel room - all. by. my. self.
    Seriously.

    Happy Mother's Day! :) I appreciate this post. I think you said it well for all mothers out there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I borrow the list? I'm too dang lazy to waste the time on writing something down that's gonna get ignored.

    I had to laugh.
    You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!