Saturday, May 7, 2011

Real True Gratitude to My Children

David Scott, Danielle, Dean, Diana, Dara, Joseph and Arianna,

You all have blessed my life.
You ARE my life.
All of it.
Whatever I am, 
whatever joys have been mine,
whatever stretching I have done,
growth I have achieved,
is because of each and every one of you.

David Scott/Daba Jott,
you are my first Teacher.
You taught me to slow down
from my selfish young adult priorities
and focus on someone besides myself.

You taught me how to exercise self-control,
and learn time management--
how to get out the door:
time a feeding, 
a shower, 
another feeding,
blow dry my hair, 
another feeding, etc.
just to get out the door in the morning!

You put perspective on my "vanity" issues--
my make-up was shoved to the back of the counter
or under the sink--
au naturel suited me.
Clothing, or the focus on it changed too--
what's a little baby spit-up on silk anyway?
Laughter--
you taught me to laugh when things don't go my way.
And to never shop after dinner.
My lessons on "sacrifice" came thru you
like a "Motherhood Refiner's Fire"--
I found out what I didn't need--
as much sleep
or,
as much money
as I thought I needed.
And showed me what I could not live without--
Being a Mother.
Your Mother.

Dear Sweet Danielle/Dani/Dani-Jo/Punkin Britches/Nellie/Pomadore Flapjack,
You were sent here for me
like a little helper angel.
Your strong little spirit burst forth
with clarity.
You have been my second set of 
eyes,
hands,
heart.
You taught me that every child is different
and because of that,
I learned to foster other attributes I didn't know I had--
you stretched me 
and
supported me all at the same time.
You are the mother at times
and I am the child--
love you.

Dean/Deano-Beano:
well Dean, 
you're never going to read this.
My heart is yours.
Your special-needs limit you in ways 
neither of us expected,
and exalts you in others.
Our best days are still ahead.
We both know that.

Diana--my Nana-doos--
You came to heal my heart
as only you can...
your appearance on this earth calmed 
my heart
and faith.
My little peacemaker,
you taught me to lower my voice and use a sweeter tone
whenever possible.
To say "yes" when "no" isn't necessary.
We've survived your "rotten teenage" years
and now we are sisters and friends.

Dara/ Daisie/Day--
you are my excitable child!
From your toddler years where the older siblings
chanted "run, Day-Day, run!"
sending you screaming down the halls and around corners,
you haven't changed much. lol
Your eyes are bright and your to-do list is long!
You have come to this earth
ready to accomplish something HUGE
and I am just as excited to see what that 
"something" is!
You are THE element of "surprise" in the family--
could it be related to the fact that you were due on 
April Fool's Day and my water broke at exactly 11:59pm?
My first homebirth...you made it so easy on me.
"Let's get busy!", you seemed to say that day
with your eyes wide open, all alert and smiling.
And just this morning,
when you busted thru the bedroom door
because you missed
the bus
again!
Exasperation and Excitement defines you!

Joseph/The Boofus/ Boofdawg/Jofus/Boofinator...
We've known each other long before you came to me.
We share alot--
all of the other kids,
the bed you were born in, 
and love of your devoted Daddy.
You not only own the one set of big brown puppy-dog eyes
in our family,
but you own me too!


Arianna...the Bee/Caboose/Bee-bop-anonymous/Beeps/Ari--
being the Caboose in a large family has it's pros and cons.
And I'm pretty sure you know them all!
You keep me young--
I'm not allowed to feel like an old woman.
I still shop in the little girls' department,
wander the Barbie aisles,
and buy BonneBell lipgloss.
I get to make a ponytail,
and pigtails,
braids and barretts
every day.
Easter dresses and white frilly slips.
Activity girls and spelling lists--
you keep me young and I love you for always.


I love you all the days.



























Happy Mother's Day.
love,
Momza

12 comments:

  1. What a sweet, wonderful, and beautiful post!! I cried all the way through it. You have such a tender gift of expression (I wish you could write a tribute to my children for me! :-)

    What a great family you have! And that last picture is my favorite. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The comment from M, was actually from me! My daughter Michelle had apparently used my computer without me knowing and signed into her account. I didn't notice until it was too late.

    Happy Mother's Day!! I hope it is a wonderful day for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love you too momza- Happy early Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Mother's Day to you! What a beautiful tribute to your children. I love the last picture. Your faces say it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post Momza. What an awesome glimpse through eternal eyes.
    You are amazing and your family is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post!

    My children have made me what I am, too.

    (Does this mean I can blame it all on them?)

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, you brought tears to my eyes. You are truly a blessed mother. I absolutely love the family photo of you all in white...just like heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really love this post. Your family is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Mother's day to you. They do completely change your life. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful, poetic post! Love the pictures of all your great kids! They are truly blessed to have you as their mother.

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved this post and so sweet of you to share with us such tender, sweet feelings about your beautiful children !

    Happy Mother's Day Momza
    Hugs,
    Nonna

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was an incredible post. Isn't it a great thing to think of the specific blessis each child offers. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!