Sunday, May 15, 2011

Utah-Mormon-Style Funeral Potatoes

Mormon women cook.
Alot.
I cannot think of a Church activity where a menu is not part of the planning.


Who hasn't heard of green jello and carrots?
Orange jello and grapefruit?
scones and honeybutter?
how about 
"Funeral Potatoes"?


I'd heard of none of these until I became a member of the LDS Church
when I was 16 years old.


That was a whole heckuvalotta years ago
and I still hadn't made any of those recipes
until
this past week.
A lovely sweet sister lost her good fight with ovarian cancer.
Her funeral was Friday,
and as I volunteered to help wherever I was needed,
my Relief Society President asked if I could bring
some 
"funeral potatoes".
I said I would, but needed a recipe
as I've never made them before.


She sent one via email:


Funeral Potatoes

1 lg. pkg. frozen hash-browns
-1 can cream corn
-1/3 cup chopped onions
-1/4 cup butter
-1 pint sour cream
-1 1/2 cup shredded cheese
put hash-browns in greased 9 X 13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Mix all remaining ingredients and add to hash-browns. Bake for 30 minutes. you can add crushed crackers or breadcrumbs with melted butter during the last 10 minutes if you want a crispy topping.



I looked at the recipe again--
creamed corn?
really?
I'd never noticed creamed corn in the many styles of 
funeral potatoes I've had over the years.

I called my friend, Nan, and asked her.
She's also a convert to the LDS faith and said,
"Maybe they're Utah-Mormon funeral potatoes?"

Yeah.
Those kind.
They're tricky, I laugh.

Okay then, creamed corn it is.

I made the recipe as it was written,
dropped off the pan in the kitchen of the church
and joined my friends in the Chapel 
for the lovely funeral services of our dear sweet sister, Joanna.
She had a quick sense of humor,
loved a Goodwill bargain so much, 
that Goodwill employees were in attendance,
loved Carlsbad, California,
her family and the Gospel.
It was an emotional, loving service.

At the end,
I was standing in the foyer of the Church 
when my Relief Society President, Lynnel, stopped to visit.

You should've seen her face 
when I asked about the creamed corn!

"What? No, no, no. It's cream of chicken soup!"

"Well, I just thought it was a Utah-Mormon recipe." I answered.

Oh no! 
Lynnel bolted for the kitchen to warn the sisters
to not serve that dish!

She tasted it and said it really wasn't that bad,
in fact, she couldn't taste the corn at all,
but definitely missed the salty flavor of the soup.
"With a little salt, it would be okay."

Lynnel isn't from Utah,
she's an Idahoan.

So there's a lesson for ya.
No creamed corn in funeral potatoes.
Joanna woulda loved this.




17 comments:

  1. That's the first thing that stuck out to me too! My stepmom makes the best funeral potatoes in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your friend; she sounds as if she was a great lady.

    =)

    PS. The funeral potato story is so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE funeral potatoes! And Lynnel is right... there is no creamed corn in them. Even for us Utah Mormons (which I am, born and raised). My husband is a convert, so his family is 100% non-Mormon... even though they live in Utah. I find it funny that when my husband's family serves up "funeral potatoes,' they call them "Mormon potatoes." Even though us Mormons don't call them that. Maybe I'll tell my mother-in-law to chuck in a can of creamed corn to her recipe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure that is how new recipes are found, making a mistake and thinking "hey that's pretty good". I was very skeptical of the broccoli/bacon salad when I first saw it but it has now become one of my favorite salads. I want to know who first thought that bacon and broccoli mixed in with a few grapes would be so good?

    Oh ya, I am going to put creamed corn in my next funeral potato dish I make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for your friend's family.
    Horrible loss.
    Cancer is an ugly disease.

    I'm an Idahoan and I've never heard of the cream corn thing. I was thinking that it was going to be good. Guess I won't try it since the RS Pres went running out in panic to save the masses from eating it.
    Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I first read your post I thought, "Hmmmmm, corn in funeral potatoes would actually be pretty good!" I didn't even realize that the cream of chicken soup was missing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, totally love it! It is one of our family's favorite dishes to serve. I did have one with corn in it once. It was made the same way as the regular recipe, but in addition add one can of creamed corn and a couple cups of cubed ham. It was actually pretty good, maybe I will have to try it with green beans and really raise some eyebrows!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems like it's always the best of people called home far too early. May the Lord bless you and all the family and friends of this sweet lady!

    I agree with the lady from Our Little Family. I thought corn would have been yummy in that dish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's SO funny! and to blame it on those Utah-Mormons! LOL I grew up with those potatoes. My mom's best friend would always make them and so we called them Pattie-Anne Potatoes, after her, which I like better than Funeral Potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Funeral Potatoes (but seriously - green jello should never have carrots in it!) - at our house we have to make them with Cream of Mushroom soup... but don't tell Veggie Teen that other people use Cream of Chicken or he'll lose the one dish he can eat at Church Dinners!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe you have made it this long without making funeral potatoes. We used to have them all the time--before I decided they were too fattening and so now I don't make them (just eat other fattening food in their place:-).

    That is funny about the corn. When I was reading the recipe I was thinking, "seriously? corn?" I am sure they were good anyway. Maybe that will be the new way of making them. You will start a trend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Lori: I don't think anyone will ask me to bring funeral potatoes in the future. lol
    @Tonya: I've never had the green jello and carrots dish either.
    @Moody: I told my RSP Pres that when I die, noone is to bring funeral potatoes to my family. Wendy's chili and pie is THE MENU. lol
    @Amy: Thank you for your sentiments...it's true, the best are taken too soon. I think regular corn may have tasted okay too.?
    @PattyAnn: I think it's a free-for-all recipe...anything might work! Afterall, it's got cheese in it!
    @Our little family: corn could work?
    @Tauna: this is my life.
    @Connie: I haven't tried bacon/ brocolli salad. Now I want to!
    Laurel: don't do it!
    @Sue: She was. We'll miss her.
    @Kristina: would love the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE these potatoes.
    I have a similar recipe. I need to try the corn though.
    I use the "Shreds" with onions and peppers instead of cutting onions. And I use Wheat flakes on top.

    Oh man....now I am hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, the old standby, Funeral Potatoes. When I read the recipe, I knew it was creme of chicken soup was wrong. Great story ! So sorry about your friend, but I love that she would have loved what happened too !

    Here in the South, we do mac and cheese, ham and green beans for every funeral...sometimes there is a pan or 2 of funeral potatoes and they always are a hit !

    ReplyDelete
  15. you know Momza, for those of us with a gluten intolerance the substitution would make them okay for us to eat. I usually make them with chicken stock mixed with a little cream and thickened with a corn thickener as a base. I just might give this corn thing a try and see if anyone notices. You are a hoot and I am sure your friend was laughing away in heaven.

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is too funny. I am a lifelong member and have never made funeral potatoes. I remember someone one calling for a cup of vanilla in a recipe and I emailed her asking if that made it taste extra yummy (fully intending to put in a cup like the recipe called for). She emailed me back with a correction to TEASPOON. I think she thought I was being factitious. I was just following the recipe (I'm obviously not a natural cook).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahahha! What a nice welcome to my day! I'll never forget the time I was offered some funeral potatoes at the funeral luncheon of my husband's aunt. I looked up to the person offering them, and it was Sister Michaeline Grassli, former general Primary President. I almost dropped my fork. And I remember the comforting creaminess of the wonderful funeral potatoes after my grandbaby's services. I'm sure there's lots more stories behind that humble dish.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!