Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Memorial Day in the Mountains

~A day off means a day outside and in the Colorado Rocky Mountains~
We piled the yahoos and the dog into our big honkin' gas-suckin' Suburban
and headed to the west side of Pike's Peak
to The Crags and the trail known as
The Devil's Playground.


These boulders are so fun to climb and scramble around all over.
The trail is quintessential "Colorado"--
and we love it.





This was their first time repelling outdoors.
They spent alot of time at City Rock's Climbing wall
this past winter learning the how-to stuff.
They loved it!

 It was super windy...love her face! 
She said that her "miserably cold" face.




 the Caboose is under there...


huddling alongside the mountain...

 why yes, that is snow...


warmer and less windy once we're off the mountainside...



lady bugs! 





Daisie and her friend, Chelsa--
they hiked to the top and back.
Okay time to go home...
and boy! did we all sleep so good that night!
We were worn out!!



We love these mountains so!

12 comments:

  1. You guys are brave! I could never do the repelling when I was in YW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE repelling!!! So so so fun.

    And I love ladybugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like so much fun!! I love repelling. How fun you all got to do it. Sorry it was a bit cold though, but it didn't appear to stop anyone from having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you guys are really hardcore into the rocky mountain experience. What a fab getaway...I miss the mountains so much having grown up in California...thanks for the awesome photos. In California, it was possible to frolic at the beach and then go up to the mountains to play in the snow all in one day !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you take advantage of your wonderful surroundings. And I'm glad you share them with us!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw your pic on Mormon Mommy Blogs and clicked on over here. I LOVE your Say What Board and laughed out loud at most of them. Would it be all right to borrow your idea to keep track of all the funny things my 3 year old says.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Marian: Thanks! And of course!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that was quite an adventure. I loved all of the pictures and it looked like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing this activity.
    Blessings to you!
    Living Waters by LeAnn
    http://lgwilliams.blogspot.com
    Google is having a problem with comments so I am using anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Somehow I think its hilarious that you have the Garden of the Gods and the Devil's Playground close by for your outdoor enjoyment. Mmmmmm, do I sense a future blog post? (love the photos BTW)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You guys and your fun family day trips. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing -- the rappelling, the snow and cold in June. What fun to enjoy the day with you via pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like lots of fun and I love the pictures!

    Glad you guys had an outstanding time together.

    Blessings,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!