Saturday, July 9, 2011

Cloudy with a Chance for Bears

Life.
Ever feel like you're treading water in the deep end of the pool
and all you really wanna do is reach the tiled-edge
so you can hang for a minute to catch your breath?
lol
So yesterday, Mr. Wonderful and Boofus gathered their camping n' fishing gear
and took off for Eleven Mile Canyon for the weekend.
Manly men doing manly things, ya know?

So when I got off work,
the girls and I went to grab a bite to eat
and then planned on a chick flick movie night
at home.
But just as we left the restaurant,
Mr W called.
He needed help because they locked the car keys
in the car.
The signal was so bad,
that I didn't get the chance to ask
if they had access to food or shelter--
just got the name of their campsite
and that was it.
So the girls and I filled the car with gas
and began our race with the sun to
get there before dark.
It's about an hour and a half to two hours from the Springs,
so we booked it up the mountains
and saw a severe thunderstorm
right over the direction we were headed.
Humongous dark clouds, lightening flashing every which way,
it lit up the roads and the entire horizon,
sheets of rain dropping from the clouds,
dark gray and heavy.
Nevermind, that before they left yesterday morning,
I'd checked the weather and it predicted
rain storms.
Mr W said, and I quote:
"We'll be fine."

My heart was clickin' along pretty good
at the thought of the guys huddled together
outside in the elements in a storm--
wondering what I was going to find when I got there.

Why is it, when you're in a situation like this,
that one mile feels like 20?
It felt like it took forever to get there,
and yet as we pulled into the campsite
just as the last rays of light
were disappearing behind a mountaintop,
I looked at the clock and it had taken us
just an hour and a half.
We found the car first,
and looked up a trail to see Mr W climbing out of their tent
to greet us.
Boofus came running, all smiles, and jumped into my car
yammering a mile a minute about his day--
catching fish and all the details about cleaning it,
just going on and on
so much that I just about missed the part about the bears:
There had been a mama black bear and two cubs
at their campsite earlier in the day,
according to the campground host.
Wait.
What?
A mama bear and two cubs?
In your campsite?
That very one?
Today? This morning?

I looked at the campsite
then back at him.
Then at the campsite
then back at Mr. W.

My concern was not hidden.
Just yesterday I'd read about the grizzly bear killing the hiker
at Yellowstone.
A mama grizzly bear with two cubs.

Mr. W had a mouth full of words coming at me--
something about the bears were there because it was empty,
blah blah blah...
{keep a knockin' but you can't come in...}
mama bear.
cubs.
this morning.
this campsite.
my son.
my husband.
MY SON.
BEARS.
TENT.

The Caboose didn't want us to leave the guys there--
the summer lightening show combined with the bear thing
freaked her little guts out.
Mr W assured me that they would be okay.
I calmly assured him that if anything happened to my boy,
I'd have to hurt him nigh unto death.


He did offer to have us sleep there over night too.
Uh. No thanks.
I like my safe. clean. non-bear bed.

We got home a little before 11pm.
No movie.
No popcorn.

No edge of the pool?
I got this.
No sweat.

@Sue aka Granny Sue: You've won a cd, please email me. I tried emailing you but got it back.

5 comments:

  1. My husband and kids see bears up at Yosemite all the time. (Seems like the grizzlies are the mean ones, thankfully.)

    They do carry bear whistles, though...and they use bear boxes for their food, to discourage bears from coming into camp.

    =)

    Cool to hear that I won a CD! I'll email you right now, if I can find your address. It used to show when you commented, but it doesn't any more. I'll have to look and see if I can find an old one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have had a few bears here too. They seem to be coming out of the woods this year and into town. I am with you. I would way rather stay in my safe non-bear bed!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lucky for your husband that you had another set of keys and could drive up and rescue him.

    And I understand the fear about the bears. We had three bears up at girl's camp and when we were at Yellowstone we saw a bear along the side of the road. It was so exciting until it started coming towards us. Then it scared me so bad, my back went into spasms and I couldn't move!! Not good.

    I am assuming everyone is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, this is why I don't feel safe in a tent!

    It's interesting how, in a situation like this, your mind conjures up all kinds of terrifying incidents. Glad you found them and found them well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So not where I thought this post was going. I. do. not. camp. Not in a tent. Not in a bus. Bears are only the first reason why.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!