Thursday, September 8, 2011

The First Snow's Flyin'!

ya know, when we moved into this house,
one of the things I was bent on doing was getting
at least one of the three garage bays cleared out
before the first snow fall
for my BMW aka my Suburban--
cuz' there's fewer things that makes me crankier
than havin' to scrape snow and ice off
at 6am.

But I've been lazy.
I've let the summer days get away from me,
ignored Mount Heap O' Crap
altogether
as I've played 'til my bones ached--
and by playing
I mean,
mostly playing
and mostly working
the whole live long summer season.

Well, those days are over on this side of the Rockies.
It's been chilly with 54o and rainy in the foothills,
and
snow falling in the mountains!
Not even kidding.

That put a fire under my tush yesterday--
forget that I stayed up late the night before
tapping out a "just so you know" letter to my boss
and was so tired that all I wanted was a nap!
Nope, I gulped down a cola
and bribed Daisie (hey, she's working off her Homecoming dress)
and we got
Biz-zay.

No longer was I using my best scrutinizing eye
or Compassionate-Mom heart
as my hands went thru boxes of random stuff--
I pulled out what looked valuable
shut my eyes to the rest
and shoved it all into the trash.

Within 20 minutes a good-sized-dent-of-space
was made in the garage bay that I want for my BMW
and I was one happy Momza--
liberated!
Like I'd lost 20 pounds of unwanted fat!
yes, it is THAT good to toss out stuff!

When Mr. W came home,
I put on my best "come-look-what-I-did-today!-smile,
(with  "mwah-ah-hah" undertones)
and anxiously waited for him to change his work clothes
to follow me to the garage and see my accomplishment.

Now, you know what he was thinking--

"where's my stuff?"
I watched as his eyes scanned the garage:
golf...clubs...CHECK
skis...skis...cross-country skis...CHECK
hik-ing gear...poles...tents...packs...CHECK
My father's old White tractor that hasn't worked in 10 years...CHECK

"Looks good, hun." he offers--like I work for him. sheesh.

"ANNNDD, I'm gonna finish this by the weekend!", I reply.

"Oh. Oh. Well, be careful not to toss good stuff out."

Yeah. whatever.
If I'm doin' it, I get to decide what's important, right?

Come that first snowfall in my driveway,
my car WILL park in that garage,
even if I have to drive over stuff to get it in there.

Cuz' there's snow on those peaks
and I had to turn on the heater in the car this morning.

6 comments:

  1. M~ I'm with you on this one!
    actually turned on the HEAT!
    my arthritic hands and hips were begging for warmth despite the sweats and socks!!
    the cold and rainy dampness went bye bye..
    furbabies and I relished in the warmth inside..
    as we watched the rain falling..
    OUTSIDE!
    WARM hugs!
    Loui♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha! Mount Heap o-crap. That made me giggle.
    I can totally relate to the "looks good, hun" thing. My hubby says those exact same words to me whenever i feel like I've completed a masterpiece, or, like you, got something cleaned out that I'm very proud of.

    Good luck with those approaching snow storms. I'll continue to sweat out the rest of September.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! Cleaning out the garage is on my "to do" list. Just waiting for double digits- might not be til October.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! With the weather that can happy overnight in your neck of the woods, I'd be motivated, too.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It always makes my head spin just a little to think that you are heading into winter as we are finally heading out of it. Especially when some of my American friends are still complaining of the heat. I think you are amazing to throw anything out. I haven't the courage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. snnnoowww!? you have got to be kidding me! I want some of that! way to get that huge project done! YOU GO GIRL!!! enjoy colorado enough for all of us!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!